This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positives PLEASE.

I am just wondering if anyone has anything positive to say about their cases? Yes I know this is a long battle and I've heard all the negative press about trying to fight for what is right but I am so emotionally spun, I just want to believe there will be an eventual end result of some kind of workable peace and family life ahead.

I am a step mom of two wonderful girls (6 and 7). They are so fragile and the situation just keeps getting worse. We have called CAS, the school, and have tried counseling. We make sure they get plenty of love and attention when they are here with us but it feels like a drop in a bucket compared to the crazy, erratic, and sometimes cruel manipulations they endure at their moms.

We are in debt and incurring more by going the legal route as any attempts to negotiate a peaceful resolution have been blocked. We have tried everything but it is always the kids that suffer. I am so worried about them. I am worried about us.

It seems like all anyone has to say is how mom's can get away with abusing their kids, parent alienation, lies and cruelty and the courts do nothing about it but suck you dry? Is it really as faulty as that? Do the courts really not take into account the children's well being? I want to protect these kids and help them become kind, caring well adjusted people like I have done with my own son.

If I do nothing about their pain, I feel I am as bad as the one hurting them. Morally idealistic perhaps. Misguided definitely.

Please if anyone has anything useful to say about how peace, resolution, protection can be found at the end of all this? I really need to have an infusion of hope right now.

A judge decides about the children without ever seeing them. What do you expect? The spineless, immoral liars always win in these kind of battles. They don't have anything to loose.

Comment

Originally posted by rszalai View Post
      A judge decides about the children without ever seeing them. What do you expect? The spineless, immoral liars always win in these kind of battles. They don't have anything to loose.
      Way to go dude. I'm quite sure that bitchin' hit the spot she was itchin'.

rszalai, what happened in your situation is completely different then what could happen in someone else's situation, especially when it goes to court. You're giving people false expectations by saying 'this is the way it works here' rather than saying 'this is what happened in my SPECIFIC situation'.

Hey karmaseeker, I'm not going to sugar coat it for you. If Mom's whacked and has the custody hammer, you're behind the eight ball. But it's not hopeless.

Pick and choose your legal battles. You've only got so much ammo, use it wisely.

Get some counselling to help you gain clarity and coping mechanisms for dealing with Mom's whacked behaviour.

Faith that the children will eventually see for themselves what time it is will see you through.
      Last edited by dadtotheend; 12-10-2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by karmaseeker View Post
        I am just wondering if anyone has anything positive to say about their cases? Yes I know this is a long battle and I've heard all the negative press about trying to fight for what is right but I am so emotionally spun, I just want to believe there will be an eventual end result of some kind of workable peace and family life ahead.
        Every situation is different. I can say that if you do what is in the children's best interests and don't put down the other parent - one day I believe that the children will realize that you put their needs 1st. You will have a great adult relationship with them. Just never give up.

If I do nothing about their pain, I feel I am as bad as the one hurting them. Morally idealistic perhaps. Misguided definitely.
        The only thing that you can do for their pain is legally seek to end any abuses and be there for them. You cannot "fix" the other parent. You can only do the best that you yourself can do... I know that it sounds really simplistic (and does not work in abusive situations) but I look at each insane thing that the other parent does as a learning situation for your kids. That approach worked for me... Your kids will learn from all of the good things that you teach them, they will also learn from your mistakes (and those of the other parent). If you have a happy, successful life then most likely they will model their behavior after you. Be strong yourself to teach them strength.

Please if anyone has anything useful to say about how peace, resolution, protection can be found at the end of all this? I really need to have an infusion of hope right now.
        You'll have a hard time finding anyone "at the end of this" on this board. We are all stuck in various stages of this or we wouldn't be here. You can only guarantee "peace, resolution, protection" by taking the appropriate actions and realizing that you are doing the best that you can for your children. That is enough. Try not to let it eat you up. Go out, see friends, volunteer, visit with family... you don't have to be happy about this situation, but make your life happy in general. Lookin for an infusion of hope... this board is full of hope. Every person on here looking for advice is hope. Every person on here looking to vent is hope. People may moan and scream and fight with each other, the stories are (at times) horrendous - but if it was hopeless no one would be posting on this forum.

Good luck

Comment

Crap , should have known DTTE would beat me to it. Way more succinctly too! ARGH!

Comment

Nahhh, I just busted a rhyme.

You were very good. She will benefit from hearing from a few people.

Comment

Originally posted by lumpy View Post
              Lookin for an infusion of hope... this board is full of hope. Every person on here looking for advice is hope. Every person on here looking to vent is hope. People may moan and scream and fight with each other, the stories are (at times) horrendous - but if it was hopeless no one would be posting on this forum.

Good luck
              Most of the people posting on this forum are here fighting for what is best for their kids. THAT gives me hope

Comment

Thank you everyone. It has been a rough road and it is hard to stay grounded through it all, especially when so many people rain down a sense of doom on you.

We are in counselling to help take the edge off and to keep us united through the storms.

Thank you for confirming that there is hope. I needed to hear that.

Comment

I am one of those rare people whose case, unfortunately went to trial. I won sole custody but it was a 2 1/2 year rollercoaster that still continues because he is now threatening bankruptcy to get out of the court ordered costs.

This guy did everything to harm me and my son including false allegations of abuse. There were so so many times I wanted to quit and I look back now and wonder what gave me stregth. My son gave me strength. And knowing that I could not live with myself if I gave up without a fight. Plus I have an unbelievably supportive family. It was worth it. You are doing all the right things. Trying to make the time the kids spend with you as normal as possible and sheltering them from the chaos. It's really hard to keep that balance. My son was exposed to all the nitty gritty details of our litigation by his Dad. I shudder when I think how much his father harmed him in his quest to make him hate me. I wasn't perfect and I slipped occassionally but overall I think my son knows that I am the parent and he is the kid and I will worry about the big things so that he can be a kid.
                  Some Parents have no conscience when it comes to using their children as pawns. For those of us who could never do this to our kids, it is hard to fathom. But I was my best advice when I accepted that he would stop at absolutely nothing to "win". I kept my sanity by keeping my scruples all the while learning to understand that I was dealing with someone who was completely irrational and malicious.

Comment

Wow, long row to hoe.

How much were your legal fees, and how much of that was he ordered to pay?

Comment

Karmaseeker,

First I have to clarify that ALL parents are let off the hook in court - not just Mom's. My husband has been abusive, threatened to take my son, driven his car towards us and continued a campaign of terror against me and he's been told that he needs a few visits with a therapist and he'll be fine. The courts mandate is to have the child with BOTH parents regardless of their slip-ups. They'll always be encouraged to give them another chance.

The advice above is great - keep positive, do your best to stay out of the game that she's playing and do your best not to let it get to you as it is essentially out of your control what she does. The kids will eventually get it and they will eventually get a say in who they want to live with and who they want a relationship with. Look forward to that day as best you can.

I think the legal route sometimes becomes inevitable but it's also a bit of a crap-shoot. When you're dealing with the legal system, don't assume anything. The judge probably won't know your situation as you do so be sure to be clear about your entire case. Keep notes with dates etc. that you can use in court should it come to that.

The process is tough, but there are some positives out there - learning is one I try to hold on to! Time will benefit - it gets easier!

Comment

My legal fees for just the trial which lasted 2 weeks were almost $100,000

I was awarded $63, 000

Comment

I answered on a diff page...not very computer literate. court costs close to $100k. I was awarded $63,000

Comment

$100,000. DTTE I hope you have a good cash advance,,,, Ima gona need it..... Maybe I should return those boots..

And two weeks, is that normal?

Comment

Oh no, you're not. Keep those boots. And custody.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X