This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parenting rant

First off, I know that there is nothing that I can do about this and know I should not discuss with ex. Its more of a rant.
    Picked up our daughter today, mom was working so our daughter was with her boyfriend. Our daughter is 6, and in asking how her day was and what they did and so forth (It was a PA day so no school). She told me they watched Family guy cartoons all day. I know I am a bit conservative in my parenting, and was ok with simpsons. Even though I would not let her watch Simpsons I understand different parenting styles. But Family Guy at age 6 seems a bit young am I right? Just frustrating, when all they do is watch tv and never get outside. I am big into outdoors so I am a bit biased, we hike most weekends for at least an hour and have an active lifestyle.
    There, rant over... Thank you for listening.

Yes, you are right

Comment

I agree. Family guy isnt for kids. The days when there were only three stations on tv (when the attenna was aimed right) are long gone. In those days it was easier to get kids outside as there was nothing on tv at all.

Comment

I understand what you are saying, and I hear you! Personally, I don't think banning Family Guy for a 6 yr old is conservative parenting.

But, to give you a further alternative parenting style (and perhaps even more conservative) -- I wouldn't allow D17 when she was 6 to watch the Simpsons. Banned it from our house from the get go. I don't think I permitted Simpsons here until she was about 10-11. She was, however, permitted by the ex to watch it at his house.

So, I am the meanest mother in the world (and I'm ok with that). My only suggestion - continue to make it clear to your child, if she asks to watch, that it is not acceptable in your house. I've told my d17 a gadzillion times - my house, my rules.
        Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by fireweb13 View Post
          First off, I know that there is nothing that I can do about this and know I should not discuss with ex. Its more of a rant.
          Picked up our daughter today, mom was working so our daughter was with her boyfriend. Our daughter is 6, and in asking how her day was and what they did and so forth (It was a PA day so no school). She told me they watched Family guy cartoons all day. I know I am a bit conservative in my parenting, and was ok with simpsons. Even though I would not let her watch Simpsons I understand different parenting styles. But Family Guy at age 6 seems a bit young am I right? Just frustrating, when all they do is watch tv and never get outside. I am big into outdoors so I am a bit biased, we hike most weekends for at least an hour and have an active lifestyle.
          IMHO, your daughter will remember the adventures you have together and will treasure them.

Not many of us have fond memories about sitting on the couch watching tv. We tend to remember adventures though, like going on hikes, the animals we saw, the 'cool' fallen tree etc.

I understand the frustration you have. But she will be thankful that her dad actually gets her out of the house and did stuff. She will cherish those times.

Comment

Thank you all.
            We enjoy living in the country, getting fresh air and lots of outdoor time. I remember growing up and some of the best things were spending time with my dad canoeing and walking and fishing and stuff like that, and making projects in the wood shop. Thats what I want to do for our daughter. At least she knows that there is a difference between moms house and our house and she is good with it. We simply do not have cable, so I don't have to worry. (though netflix is great for the winter). She has just started getting into Lego, and her Uncle still has all of ours from when we were kids. Its funny when she gets bored of it before us grown ups do lol.

Comment

You're right.
              Family Guy is not for children.

But you're also wrong - as Family Guy is not for children.

I would better dollars to donuts that the kid did not understand half of it.

That doesn't mean they should be exposed to it either....

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
                You're right.
                Family Guy is not for children.

But you're also wrong - as Family Guy is not for children.

I would better dollars to donuts that the kid did not understand half of it.

That doesn't mean they should be exposed to it either....
                While she may not understand the jokes, doesn't mean she won't pick up on the language and words.
                It is funny how you watch stuff now that you watched as a kid and notice all the adult humour, but that stuff was a bit more hidden I think.

Comment

While she may not understand the jokes, doesn't mean she won't pick up on the language and words.
                  It is funny how you watch stuff now that you watched as a kid and notice all the adult humour, but that stuff was a bit more hidden I think.
                  Just trying to offer the silver lining that it most likely had a small impact, assuming it was a one time thing.

Comment

Family Guy is pretty disgusting most of the time. I believe at the start of these shows they have a parental guidance warning do they not?

I would bet that your daughter, of course, will remember it because so many children watch it and mimic it at school (my friend who has young children has told me this). Then the children who aren't allowed to watch it at home go over to their friend's houses to watch it, and so on. Before you know it, it becomes the "in" thing.

I'd nicely tell your daughter, if you learn she watches it again, that it simply isn't something that is appropriate for children her age to watch. She might surprise you (and the other parent) and simply state this the next time someone watches it in her presence.

I can recall my son's friends coming to our place and politely informing me that they were not allowed to watch xyz show. [I always felt like a shitty parent when this happened but was either too lazy to look at what my son was watching or merely thought it wasn't too bad.] I then had to give my son "the look" and switch the channel.

It must be very difficult to parent when there are so many violent shows and video games.

Comment

I've watched some shows with my kids that say "Parental guidance is recommended." What I do is sit with them and give them parental guidance. I talk about what is happening and what isn't appropriate in day-to-life, and why. As they got older, we get into deeper issues like why people behave the way they do, and what would be the better choice.

I don't know what went on in that house that day, but I don't think it's a black and white issue.

Comment

Mess I think that's an excellent approach to things. My son didn't get very much parental guidance when it came to television viewing and he turned out just fine. Kids today seem to be born holding a cell phone so I'm sure they see alot worse on the internet. Your approach to watching it with them, and answering questions, is wise.

Comment

There was a great show on CBC called "Being Erica" that I would watch with my daughter. Every episode led to a half hour conversation about ethics, dating, sexuality, etc. I think some the biggest impact I've had on her is through discussing topics that came up in PG shows.

Comment

I think my son was 7 or 8 when he first saw Family Guy. It was the other parent that allowed it. I didn't even know what the show was, or all about.

By the time I realized what kind of show it was, he'd seen it many times. There's been no adverse effects from what I can tell, but it is definitely not a show for young kids.

With all the other shows that have appropriate content for kids, I don't know of any good reason why they should be watching Family Guy.

I doubt your daughter will absorb much/any of what Family Guy is about.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                              There was a great show on CBC called "Being Erica" that I would watch with my daughter. Every episode led to a half hour conversation about ethics, dating, sexuality, etc. I think some the biggest impact I've had on her is through discussing topics that came up in PG shows.
                              I wish to emulate your relationship with your daughter.

I truly hope my boy will engage in such discussions with me.
                              Sometimes, I really enjoy being a parent

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X