Spousal and child support calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal and child support calculator

Can someone tell me if I'm making approximately 72000 and my ex is making approximately 30000. With two kids 17 and 21 going to school, both live with her. How much would child support and spousal support be. Length of marriage 10 years

Originally posted by OB1 View Post
    Can someone tell me if I'm making approximately 72000 and my ex is making approximately 30000. With two kids 17 and 21 going to school, both live with her. How much would child support and spousal support be. Length of marriage 10 years
    MySupportCalculator.ca -- do it yourself

Comment

I have used my support calculator but the lawyer gives my a much higher figure. I notice if i reverse the amounts in calculating it gives me other figures. I usually insert self, number of kids and my income and hers. If this is done reversed I get another figure

Comment

If she has full custody (no offset) then her income doesnt matter to child support, its the table amount for two kids (reduced for one if they are away at school). SS is different and should relate to your situation.

Comment

We have never had a separation agreement. She has had the kids since we split back in 2005. Just recently she has gone back to a lawyer and claimed due to her depression she wants me to have the kids, which I have no issue with. The thing is I notice ss will drastically increase if I have both kids. The only way it can stay lower is if she still has the kids living with her. Keep in mind my kids are adults now. 21 and 17

Comment

You need to get an agreement. You will never stop paying ss now.

Comment

I can't see it for life. I was only married 9 years. Plus I'm not a young man anymore. In my mid 50

Comment

I can't see it for life. I was only married 9 years. Plus I'm not a young man anymore. In my mid 50

Comment

The thing is I notice ss will drastically increase if I have both kids. The only way it can stay lower is if she still has the kids living with her. Keep in mind my kids are adults now. 21 and 17
                  Yes, SS increases because the calculator contemplates CS received by the ex. If she isn't receiving it, and is actually paying it, SS will go up to compensate for the difference.

Now you need to think about, does it go up in amount equal to CS? If it doesn't than you are up. And to further think of it, does SS go up equal to or greater to the CS after factoring in that you can write SS off? And even further still, that the ex should be paying you CS as you will have the kids.

Seriously, I bet you will far further ahead taking the kids and receiving CS, writing off SS and seeing your kids more often.

You can also use CS you should be receiving to offset your SS payment to the ex. Maybe use that as a bargaining tool when negotiating SS.

Comment

If your ex-wife is sick and unable to work you may have to pay indefinite spousal support.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X