Mom loses custody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom loses custody

Wow....could this be the start of something big in the grand scheme of things? It's not like alienating is a new phenomenon, it has been going on for years, and vindictive mothers have always used this along with other forms of false accusations to deprive kids of access to the other parent.

The puck dropped for this woman, and now she will have get a taste of her own medicine, as well as see what it's like to pay someone else on a monthly basis.

In a stunning and unusual family law decision, a Toronto judge has stripped a mother of custody of her three children after the woman spent more than a decade trying to alienate them from their father.

The mother's "consistent and overwhelming" campaign to brainwash the children into thinking their father was a bad person was nothing short of emotional abuse, Justice Faye McWatt of the Superior Court of Justice wrote in her decision.
    Mom loses custody for alienating dad | Toronto Star

Originally posted by serendipitous View Post
    Wow....could this be the start of something big in the grand scheme of things? It's not like alienating is a new phenomenon, it has been going on for years, and vindictive mothers have always used this along with other forms of false accusations to deprive kids of access to the other parent.

The puck dropped for this woman, and now she will have get a taste of her own medicine, as well as see what it's like to pay someone else on a monthly basis.

Mom loses custody for alienating dad | Toronto Star
    This is quite old, from over six years ago and may have been discussed here already. The bigger question might be what has changed in the last six years. CanLII (CanLII - 2009 CanLII 943 (ON SC), CanLII - 2009 CanLII 14788 (ON SC), CanLII - 2009 CanLII 29189 (ON SC)) says that it has been cited in a number of other cases. Quite the costs award she was hit with too.

Comment

Phhptt. Nice to see a change of custody happened eventually, but it was still allowed to occur for over a decade.

Transferring custody is a last resort, because "it can be quite dramatic and traumatic" – yet sometimes better than the alternative, said Bala...

I think kids would adjust much easier to a change of custody, sooner on, rather than trying to unwork all the damage the status quo caused over all those years.

Comment

There was another case in London I think last year and the father went after CAS and another organization for believing the allegations and empowering the mother to continue. I think CAS was hit with a million dollar cost judgement. I'll see if I can find the case.

Comment

Custody, Access and Alienation: McAllister v Norman, 2014 ONSC 4065

very interesting

Comment

I found this to also be a great read.

Rego v. Santos, 2014 ONCJ 330 (CanLII) — 2014-06-26

Comment

Mom loses custody

Ive also read a few cases where alienation of the kids has impacted post secondary recovery. I just wish there was a better punishment mechanism in place for parents who dont adhere to encouraging relationships. My partners lawyer has told him several times (and Ive also read it in cases/information sites) that the custodial parent has an obligation to encourage and support a relationship between a non CP parent and a child. Which isnt happening in his case. Now we get emails saying that his messages have been passed along. Which is basically "im doing what I can, its not my fault this is happening".
              Last edited by rockscan; 04-11-2015, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I swear my OCL written report is "coded". After reading many case law I cam finding some interesting phases.

"Mother lacks credibility"
                "Mother does not put a high value on relationship between father and son"
                "Father is very supportive of relationship between mother/son"
                "Parties can't communicate and joint will not work" (they go on to recommend parallel)
                "Mother's allegations have contributed to high conflict"
                "Strong bond with father and brother" (my son from other marriage)

I am going to proceed with a request for an order for joint with an alternative for sole. After reading some of the case files it seems the report highlighted some key phraseology in my favour.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X