This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading into Mediation and unsure of what to expect

I am heading into our first mediation session this week - a 5 way meeting with lawyers in attendance as well (because of some history and bullying attempts).

What can I expect? No issues have been decided upon to date (custody, living arrangements, possession of matrimonial home, financials). The session is booked for 3 hours. What do they generally deal with first? I am desperate to have the living arrangements ironed out - been couch serfing for almost 6 months on the weeks I don't have the kids and don't want it to last for much longer but cant get a place until financials are decided (I am paying pretty much full expenses for home, utilitities, kids leaving nothing left over for a second house).

If my ex is uncooperative on issues, how long does the mediation last until the courts get involved? Who makes that decision? My ex is happy to have the status quo go one forever as he has a second house to stay in expense free and I am paying all the bills for the matrimonial home.....

So?
    What happened?

Did it go as you expected?

Whenever I went to a meeting with lawyers and ex (not exactly 'mediation' mind you) to sit down and talk about things I always wished afterwards that we had set an 'agenda' of sorts first.

There were a couple of issues I had not thought out well - and I was unprepared for the topics when they were brought up.

Other then that - I'm guessing you all just kind of sat down and tried to find some common ground?

***Oops

Thought the Original Post was a week older then it actually is.
    Last edited by wretchedotis; 09-26-2011, 02:37 AM. Reason: Oops...

Comment

Yeah....it has not happened yet.... conference with my lawyer tomorrow to discuss the issues that are most immportant to me. Hoping it goes well and it is civil and cooperative for the kid's sake - will let you know.

Comment

Hey all....mediation happened today. 7 hours of abusive behavior directed towards me with my lawyer, the mediator and his lawyer telling him to tone it down, behave and be reasonable. Even his lawyer congratulated me for dealing with the crap for years in the "interests of the kids".

Tentative end result that he has agreed to:
        I get the house, and most of the contents, for a cash payment to him that I can live with and is fair. I will have a roof over my head full time the roof I have been paying for solely for years!
        I pay no SS as he needs to step up to the plate and work as his is able to work but has chosen not to work full time.
        He takes on all his personal expenses - no longer my problem.
        I pay CS but he now has to support the kids 50% of bills - meaning even after CS is paid, I am better off - no longer have 4 dependents, only 3 dependants.
        50/50 custody BUT with the stipulation that it gets reviewed in 12 months. If he does not step up to the plate and parent like he claims he will, I get full custody at that point (up until now, I have worked full time, done 90% of child rearing, 90% of chores, paid 90% of the bills etc...). He wants a chance to prove that he will change and I am willing to give him that - the kids do need an involved, loving father.
        Email communication alone, with stringent rules so that the abuse towards me stops.

No courts to go to, it will be settled, I will get my life back and be able to move on, get away from the abuse and start a new life I am happy.

Comment

Oh....one key, I was prepared. I have every email, agreement and accusation in writing in an indexed folder, I had substantiated proof in a binder of every dispute on the financial statement...... within the first hour of my lawyer disputing his claims and lies with evidence, both the lawyers and the mediator began to turn to me for the real deal the rest of the day Preperation was the key!

Comment

Originally posted by inseperationhell View Post
            Oh....one key, I was prepared. I have every email, agreement and accusation in writing in an indexed folder, I had substantiated proof in a binder of every dispute on the financial statement...... within the first hour of my lawyer disputing his claims and lies with evidence, both the lawyers and the mediator began to turn to me for the real deal the rest of the day Preperation was the key!
            How did you index the emails?

Comment

Originally posted by frustratedwithex View Post
              How did you index the emails?

I printed them off and put them in a binder, organized by date with a tab for every week. Then I went through every email and set up a spreadsheet in excel of the main issues (i.e. abusive behavior, financials, child issues, lies and changing of stories - meaning he would say something one week then deny it the next and do a 180 degree turn). I then listed under the main issues, a more itemized list of the issues - i.e. daycare expenses. Lastly, I gave each main issue a color and the itemized issue a number and marked the email with color coded post-it notes. Every time I needed to refer to a specific email, financial statement etc to support what I was saying, I scaned the spreadsheet and was able to have the supporting documentation at my fingertips within seconds (and the binder was a few hundred pages).

It took me hours of prep time (I mean hours) however worth every second of it. He came into the room completely unprepared and spouting off, lying, not keeping his stories straight. That killed him at the table.

I learned on this site - many wise people wrote - email communication only, document, document, document! They were all right!

Comment

Yeah....it has not happened yet.... conference with my lawyer tomorrow to discuss the issues that are most immportant to me. Hoping it goes well and it is civil and cooperative for the kid's sake - will let you know.
                What was this discussion? How did you discuss this with your lawyer? How did you decide what issues were relevant ?

Hey all....mediation happened today. 7 hours of abusive behavior directed towards me with my lawyer, the mediator and his lawyer telling him to tone it down, behave and be reasonable. Even his lawyer congratulated me for dealing with the crap for years in the "interests of the kids".

No courts to go to, it will be settled, I will get my life back and be able to move on, get away from the abuse and start a new life I am happy.
                7 hours, unbelievable! Was the mediation binding? If not, how will the issues that were settled be followed through with?

I printed them off and put them in a binder, organized by date with a tab for every week. Then I went through every email and set up a spreadsheet in excel of the main issues (i.e. abusive behavior, financials, child issues, lies and changing of stories - meaning he would say something one week then deny it the next and do a 180 degree turn). I then listed under the main issues, a more itemized list of the issues - i.e. daycare expenses. Lastly, I gave each main issue a color and the itemized issue a number and marked the email with color coded post-it notes. Every time I needed to refer to a specific email, financial statement etc to support what I was saying, I scaned the spreadsheet and was able to have the supporting documentation at my fingertips within seconds (and the binder was a few hundred pages).

It took me hours of prep time (I mean hours) however worth every second of it. He came into the room completely unprepared and spouting off, lying, not keeping his stories straight. That killed him at the table.

I learned on this site - many wise people wrote - email communication only, document, document, document! They were all right!
                Wow!! Did you discuss this with your lawyer? Did your lawyer know you had organized all of this information and did your lawyer have a copy of it before your mediation?

Comment

Originally posted by frustratedwithex View Post
                  What was this discussion? How did you discuss this with your lawyer? How did you decide what issues were relevant ?
                  The mediation had the lawyers in attendance. The discussion with my lawyer beforehand was to go through every issue to be resolved in mediation (i.e. custody, CS, SS, imputing of income, financial statement, living arrangement etc). We went through each one and figured out what I wanted and would go to the table with. Then we discussed what I was willing to negotiate with, what I could live with (as opposed to want) so that we were prepared to make deals i.e. on issue A I don't want to budge but will give this type of concession on issue B in return.

7 hours, unbelievable! Was the mediation binding? If not, how will the issues that were settled be followed through with?
                  The mediation will be binding. A few minor things to sort out in the next couple of days (i.e. I have to talk to the bank about assuming the mortgage on my own). Next week the mediator along with our lawyers will draw up a formal seperation agreement that will be signed and binding.

Wow!! Did you discuss this with your lawyer? Did your lawyer know you had organized all of this information and did your lawyer have a copy of it before your mediation?
                  Yes, my lawyer knew I organized all this information (actually my lawyer was impressed with my documentation and it made her job much easier and cost me less in legal fees). My lawyer was given copies a month before mediation and able to get a very good sense of the situation and arguments she could use in mediation for each of my positions.

Comment

Did you go through Questioning/Discoveries before your mediation?

Comment

Nope, no questioning or discoveries. I did have a very good idea of what his position would be as he spent months spouting in front of the kids. He also spent months of refusing to step up to the plate for his share of finances. I had a good idea of what he would be saying. The only information we recieved prior to mediation was his financial statement - which definately set the tone of what to expect. I.e. - value of his car was put down at 8,000 less than black book value, full outstanding balance of car loan put as his debt although loan was in my name and I made all payments.... I had paperwork to dispute over 75% of the numbers he used. Almost every line either undervalued his assets or listed debt on his side that was actually joint or in my name alone.

Comment

So, stbx filed for a consent order asking for a couple of things, one of the things he asked for was for dates for Questioning to be determined and that these dates must take place before the end of this month. Then he wants a mediation/arbitration meeting, I also want this meeting.

We have exchanged financial statements earlier this year and nothing seems to be out of place. I told my lawyer I don't think anything will be gained by this very expensive step. My lawyer wants 1 whole day to prepare me and 3 days have been set aside for the actual Questioning. All of this is going to cost a bundle of money and I think my stbx wants it because he has an axe to grind.

Our issue is simple and we are close, I just don't know what he doesn't agree with and what he is okay with.

I didn't leave anything out, I don't have anything to hide but this is causing me a lot of anxiety.

Comment

Ouch....I do feel for you. I get the anxiety - I have been drowning financially supporting my stbx through the process (i.e. he brings in 35% of household income but has only contributed 13% to expenses during the last 6 months - who do you think has all the "play" money in his pocket?). Even though we are almost there - I am sleepless every night because the papers have not actually been signed yet.

Yes, the Questioning does seem to be an expensive step...You can't talk him into Mediation first? Even for just one session to see how it goes?

My ex had an axe to grind - 'cause I up and left which meant I got out of an abusive situation and he is no longer going to get a free ride financially. It backfired on him.....hopefully.

Comment

No mediation without arbitration at this point.

We are approaching three years, we did mediation the first year.

I wanted to say, good job, well done, I wish you and your children the best and that your future will be better.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X