For the Sake of The Children - Family Law Reform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Sake of The Children - Family Law Reform

***AFTER READING THIS, MAKE AN EFFORT TO MAKE SOME NOISE IN YOUR AREA - CONTACT YOUR MP AND PERSUADE HIM/HER TO SUPPORT MR. VELLACOTT HIS BILL***

Maurice Vellacott, MP
    Saskatoon-Wanuskewin

For the Sake of the Children – Premise of
    equal shared parenting in the event of a marriage breakdown

For Immediate Release March 8, 2013

OTTAWA – Today, in the House of Commons, Conservative MP Maurice Vellacott (Saskatoon-Wanuskewin) said:

This past Tuesday, I presented four Canadians with Queen’s Diamond Jubilee medals: journalist Barbara Kay, Professor Edward Kruk, Glenn Cheriton and George Piskor. A fifth recipient, Kristin Titus, could not be in Ottawa for the event.

All these people are much-deserving recipients for their work to advance the best interests of children through family law and Divorce Act reforms, built on the premise of equal shared parenting.

Equal parenting was the focus of a Private Member’s Bill that I introduced in the last Parliament based on the joint House/Senate report, “For the Sake of the Children." That bill will be reintroduced in this Parliament. Conservative Party policy supports such changes.

Professor Kruk's academic research confirms other studies which show that, aside from cases of abuse or neglect, in the event of marriage breakdown, access to both mom and dad through equal shared parenting is in the best interests of children. The time is long overdue for Canadian law and public policy to fall in line with this evidence, for the sake of the children!

– 30 –

For further comment, call (613) 992-1966 or (613) 297-2249

I am a big support of this work. I have equal shared and Joint custody but I had to have a 14 day trial inorder to get it.

I believe I shouldn't have had to do that.

I have asked Justin Trudeau when he spoke at trent univeristy about this, but he said he supported the family system as it was right now.
    I'm thinking he didn't really know about the subject.
    I suggest we all write to him regarding this subject.

Comment

Here is the thing about Vellicott...

When the Saskatchewan judicial system approved same-sex marriages in 2004, Vellacott said it was "unfortunate that the Saskatchewan court has followed in the activist footsteps of other courts in this country".[37] He later argued that marriage commissioners should have "conscience rights" to refuse to marry same-sex couples.[38] During a 2005 rally, he said, "there is no such thing as a right to same-sex marriage".[39]
      And another thing...
      Also in 2005, Vellacott called for legislation making it illegal to harm or kill the unborn children of mothers not planning to have abortions (such that killing a pregnant woman would constitute a double-murder).[40] The suggestion won support from some, while others argued that it could eventually lead to restrictions on abortion.
      ... and again...
      The Conservatives won a minority government in the 2006 election. Vellacott now sits as a government backbencher. In March 2006, he wrote an open letter supporting restrictions on abortion and calling for pregnant women to be informed of possible risks associated with abortion.[49]
      ... and a bit more...
      In 2012, Vellacott nominated and awarded Queen's Jubilee medals to Linda Gibbons and Mary Wagner, who had both been convicted of criminal offences related to their anti-abortion activism.[58] Gibbons was arrested for repeated violations of injunctions against protesting in front of women's health clinics.[59] Mary Wagner was serving time in jail for mischief and violating court orders regarding women's health clinics when she received her medal.[60] When asked to comment on his decision to recognize these two women, Vellacott released a statement that referred to them as "heroines of humanity", and justified his decision by stating: "It's a pretty upside down world when we honour abortionists like Henry Morgentaler for killing over 5,000 babies and imprison precious women, like Mary Wagner and Linda Gibbons, who try to save babies from such savagery. They are the real heroes of humanity!"[61]
      It is now TWO YEARS after the Conservatives were elected with a majority, and now the backbench MP is getting around to retabling the shared parenting legislation....

Here is the thing, the guy is a social conservative with an increadibly bad reputation with progressive Canadians. As soon as he attaches his name to an issue, the issue is automatically polarized.

I'm not here to put down anyone who is a conservative or a Christian. But if you are in favour of shared parenting, you have to realize that we need support from across the political spectrum, and having someone like Vellacott onside is going to automatically turn half the country against the initiative.

If you think he is sincere, then ask him why he waited 2 years since the election to retable the legislation.

Comment

I am a Lapsed Buddhist.

Comment

Report to Supreme Court chief justice calls for family law overhaul - The Globe and Mail

Comment

BC made some sweeping changes to their family law act, Bill 16, which just finally came into affect last month. Perhaps it will trickle to other provinces?

I was reading BC's bill and one of the big things I saw that people have posted here a lot about is the child's wishes. For BC, child's wishes weren't considered unless deemed appropriate for the case...now they are considered automatically unless deemed inappropriate. Sounds more inclusive of the children anyway.

I don't think Trudeau would know anything about how current family law, or the real world for that matter, works.

Comment

I made an inquiry recently and apparently this bill will be presented to the house in May of this year. So EVERYONE should write their MPs to make it clear that this is an important issue that needs to be addressed. As Mess mentioned Mr. Vellacott has been tied to the abortion motion and other controversial political and social issues, so the more support that can be given to this bill away from him and the conservative party will be advantageous.

I have already written my MP, plan to write my MPP, and other influential political figures to try get some traction for these reforms. I also suggested to my MP that as a part the reform that the Federal Support Guidelines be revisited and highlighted some of the problems with the current method of determining child support.

Comment

People should write to this group:

Leadnow | About

While it may be a longshot, having an advocacy group that is not gender based support this bill would be huge. it may be a hard sell because they have been very critical of Vellacott in the past, but if enough people contact them they may change their minds.

Comment

Equal Shared Parenting Bill Coming to Parliament

Comment

in every crack and every crany the current legal system
                    will probe as long as profit is the utmost goal

children want both parents - its nature

Canada's 'Family Law' is unnatural , you must argue
                    for a price$ your children should spend time with you

'best interests of the child', 'child wishes' and so on
                    are currently argumentive calling cards for lawyers and
                    their fat staff to fleec familys

trim the fat, get rid of them - only the decent non prejudice
                    lawyers survive

its not only reform its evolution

Canada - under UN equality and all that chatter - give
                    Fathers 50/50 access out of the gate

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X