Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trial coming up & I have a ton of questions..please help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial coming up & I have a ton of questions..please help!

This is my second post on this forum so please forgive me if there is too much info on the post.

I had a lawyer until last week when I was told that he needed a 10 grand or more retainer to go to trial. So going forward I will be self represented, that being said I have no clue what to do and have a million questions. So I will try to ask a few key questions here and try not to bog down the forum too much.

I will say that I have tried with no success not to got to trial, I have sent 3 offers to settle that have all been ignored. In my last OTS I said that I was willing to go to mediation which again has been ignored. In the beginning of our separation my Ex said she would be willing to do anything and everything to remain friends. She kept using the phrase 'in the best interest of the children' then as soon as I would not do what she told me it was game over. She started to get hostile and would not try to work things out. She sent me a 70 page separation agreement that was outrageous (had clauses in there such as I could only see the children at Christmas every other year) Then when I would sign it, I was the one who was being unreasonable and argumentative. So that is how things got started, pretty much has been down hill ever since. I thought things would get better when I got a lawyer, but it did not. I would send a question or request through her lawyer via my lawyer, the reply would be 5 questions/issues for me and no reply to my original question. This included the issue of financial disclosure which I have asked her (via her lawyer) for 7 times and it has been ordered by the courts now twice. She has not sent me nor filed a financial disclosure and our trial is days away (as soon as the Trial Co-ordinator calls) So I do not know what my options are? I asked this question in another post and got some answers (which were very helpful) What I want to know is what/how to ask for the court to compel her to disclose this information? If she has not obeyed 2 court orders already why would she follow something else?

Some of the other questions I have are just overall trial questions. Other then watching the occasional episode of Law and Order I have never been involved in a trial.
    I would be grateful for anyone's help on these questions:

*How do I present evidence? I have some documents that prove things she is saying are not true.

*What are some questions that I should ask, and other issues that I should stay away from?

*What should I say in my 'opening argument'?

I suppose I could go on and on with the questions I have going on in my head right now. Like our son has asthma (pretty severe) and she is a smoker, do I bring this up? I want to make myself look good and do no want to spend time trying to make her look bad (does that make sense) ...Please help!

My recommendation is to maintain a dignified, respectful manner towards your wife and her lawyer at all times. Go to court and observe some cases. There is enough information on this forum to answer many of your questions. Be prepared to spend lots and lots of time researching your issues.

My son had severe asthma and I am a smoker. Naturally I didn't smoke around him. If my ex brought that up he'd be laughed out of the courtroom. Sticks and stones etc.

A 70 pg separation agreement? Someone's lawyer is raking in the cash.

Comment

These are on the NS website, but should be helpful.

Self Represented Litigants Videos | novascotia.ca

Self Represented Litigants Videos | novascotia.ca

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post

My son had severe asthma and I am a smoker. Naturally I didn't smoke around him. If my ex brought that up he'd be laughed out of the courtroom. Sticks and stones etc.
        I agree with the sticks and stones, which is what I dont want this to be as it goes no where fast. I would do nothing other then treat my ex and her lawyer with respect, that goes with out saying. Thanks for your thoughts and reply.

Comment

Good way to start would be

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...52/#post104347

also make sure you serve your offer to settle at least 7 days before trial...
          if you do have time prepare and serve Request to admit which may shorten your trial and give judge good message...

WD

Comment

Definitely your are facing an intimidating situation. At no time should you belittle her or make personal attacks. You must narrow down the issues, whatever they are, and they must be relevant and factual. Not "I believe, I feel, I think" but FACT.

Go and observe some court sessions. You will need to learn about cross examination, examination in chief etc. Opening arguments, closing arguments. There are rules as to when offers to settle must be served by.

I hope for you that it does not go to Trial. Wow - a 70 pg Sep Agreement?! You didn't actually sign that did you?

Certainly there are portions of that (likely) nutty manifesto that you can use for your materials. IE: the "every other Christmas" access.

I don't know how it works but there's www.justicenet.com and Legal Shield that might assist you. You can find a post about Legal Shield on this forum (I think it was posted by Berner Faith) and just google Justice Net.

Good Luck.

Comment

There's plenty of books out there but one I find particularly informative is "Surviving your Divorce" A Guide to Family Law, by Michael G. Cochrane, LL.B.
              (5th Edition) Published by WILEY.

For $30 it's a great reference guide and includes a section on "How to Represent Yourself in Court."

You'll find it very helpful, I assure you. Chapters/Indigo carries it. There is an entire chapter (17) on Self-Representation. As well, it goes into great detail about alternatives to Court: mediation/arbitration, etc. WORTH the $30 and a handy reference guide for Family Law.

Get this book first. Then get "Splitting" by William (Bill) Eddy. Read both from cover to cover.
              Last edited by hadenough; 09-05-2012, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
                There's plenty of books out there but one I find particularly informative is "Surviving your Divorce" A Guide to Family Law, by Michael G. Cochrane, LL.B.

For $30 it's a great reference guide and includes a section on "How to Represent Yourself in Court."

You'll find it very helpful, I assure you. Chapters/Indigo carries it. There is an entire chapter (17) on Self-Representation. As well, it goes into great detail about alternatives to Court: mediation/arbitration, etc. WORTH the $30 and a handy reference guide for Family Law.

Get this book first. Then get "Splitting" by William (Bill) Eddy. Read both from cover to cover.
                I am not arguing that thous are must read but I think in his case it late for thous books. He need to get ready for trial ASAP...

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and helpful info.

No I did not sign it, should have said "wouldn't sign it" The SA was ridiculous and had nothing in it for me. Another point was that I paid child support until the kids were 24.

As for not going to trial, that I am afraid is not an option as all I am waiting for is the phone call of when it is.

I served the newest offer to settle on August 28th to her (via her lawyer) and have yet to hear anything from them. I also asked (again) for her financial disclosure before trial so I could be prepared.

I agree with keeping things relevant and factual which is what I am trying to do in my notes. Just keep it about the kids not turn it into something more.

Comment

Originally Posted by hadenough

I am not arguing that thous are must read but I think in his case it late for thous books. He need to get ready for trial ASAP...
                    Today 08:33 AM
                    Perhaps you should let the OP speak for himself. I found "Surviving your Divorce" an excellent resource when I bought it almost a year ago. The chapter on self-representation is only 25 pages, so it can be read quickly.

Comment

I would recommend that anytime you serve opposing counsel with any settlement offers that you specify the offer must be accepted by a certain date or it is retracted. A 30 day response deadline is more than reasonable.

Comment

Just a quick note:

Seeing the kids every other Christmas (alternating Christmases) and paying CS until they are 24 (usually conditional on being in school) are both pretty reasonable things...

Sometimes it takes a long time to accept it but both of those aren't bad points, better than I got honestly...

Comment

I'm no expert, but in my humble opinion, your offers to settle (if reasonable) may be viewed in a favourable light by the judge, while her refusal to obey court ordered financial disclosure may be viewed as unfavourable. I have learned, however, that what is deemed 'fair' in one's mind may not necessarily be deemed fair in a legal perspective.

Hope you do take 'hadenough's' advice and read as much as you can to prepare yourself.

Good luck with your case!

Comment

Originally posted by FightingForFamily View Post
                            Just a quick note:

Seeing the kids every other Christmas (alternating Christmases) and paying CS until they are 24 (usually conditional on being in school) are both pretty reasonable things...

Sometimes it takes a long time to accept it but both of those aren't bad points, better than I got honestly...
                            I have a feeling that an equal schedule for Christmas' was not in the agreement - it was lopsided OR that access during the christmas break was completely excluded by the agreement.

Comment

Maybe it is best to take the 70 page agreement they wrote up and mark it up with a red pen and send back.

Even better create a seperate sheet with each point that you don't agree with.

Eg: point #1 (page 25, section 2, subsection 4) change from crazy xmas plan she wrote to alternate xmas equally each year, etc, etc.

That way after your done you will have xxxx amount of points that the judge can decide for you where as all other points are agreed and settled.

As fighting for family said, you might have 20 points you don't agree with but only 5 are valid and bighting the bullet might be the case. If you come to terms with those points, a judge would most likely be more favorable because your are not "throwing mud".

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X