She's pregnant, we're separated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She's pregnant, we're separated

She's 19 with some kind of psychological disorder. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm 100% certain there is something not right with her. We were never really together. I was going through a divorce and she gave me attention when I needed it. I am concerned that she is not properly taking care of herself. I mean, I tried to even get her to take a test and she wouldn't for weeks and weeks. And then, when I tried to get her into a midwife, she refused. I tried to express how important prenatal vitamins are and folic acid, but she didn't seem too interested. She did though indicate that she wanted to keep the baby. When I told her that I intended on raising the child (because she obviously can't - you have to believe me when I say that - I am not just saying that) she cut all forms of communication off and out of her life. So I have no idea how the pregnancy is going or anything.

I don't know what to do.

I understand that I can't start any legal proceedings until the child is born. But how will I know when the child is born? How will I know the name to put in the legal forms? I don't know her birthday. Frankly, I know very little about her.

I am 35 and have a 4 year old son, which I have visitation to 3 days a week. His mother is a good mother. She seems to think she can raise a child but she can't even take care of herself. Fortunately, most of our correspondence was done via chat so I have a very good record of what happened and aside from a lack of judgement in hooking up with her to begin with, it is very damning for her. I won't go into those detail here, but again you'll have to trust me that there is nothing good in there for her. It's all damaging in the sense of her ability to even properly care for herself.

I do intend on seeking custody. I just don't know how to do it with her shutting me out. I have no info and know nothing, except her name. I think the child is supposed to be due in September, October, maybe November.

I am thinking of contacting children's aid for intervention at birth, but is that my only option? Is that even an option?

Can somebody help me? I'd be happy to explain more, if needed.

Seems you didn't know her very well before getting her pregnant? her name only? You're 35 and she is still in her teens? If this goes to court - it may well be very damming for you ... She is probably shutting you out simply because there was never any real relationship between the two of you. As for options - nothing more can be done until the birth. Probably will need to go for DNA testing to prove your paternity ect. You'll need to talk to a lawyer.

Comment

I'm not sure how our age difference has anything to do with the best interest of the child. I did nothing illegal, although I do concede I feel it was inappropriate. As I mentioned, I was going through a divorce and she gave me attention when I wanted it during that time. I'm a little confused how it would go bad for me based on that fact. But truly don't know and appreciate your expertise.

I'd be more than happy to take a dna test, but my concern is for the child even in teh womb, let alone after it is born. She is sleeping in an attic with an 11 year old girl. There's gotta be something I can do before then. No?

Comment

Ditto - she very well could be pregnant with someone else's kid. 50-50 chance of that, particularly if you don't know anything about her.

Maybe she'll consider adoption. There are many great people out there who are desperate to have children. I think people should give more consideration to this option. Child could be raised in a loving home by people who truly want children.

Comment

She's not denying it is mine. I have that in writing. Through our chat conversations.

Comment

Originally posted by FamilyGuy View Post
            I'm not sure how our age difference has anything to do with the best interest of the child. I did nothing illegal, although I do concede I feel it was inappropriate. As I mentioned, I was going through a divorce and she gave me attention when I wanted it during that time. I'm a little confused how it would go bad for me based on that fact. But truly don't know and appreciate your expertise.

I'd be more than happy to take a dna test, but my concern is for the child even in teh womb, let alone after it is born. She is sleeping in an attic with an 11 year old girl. There's gotta be something I can do before then. No?
            Never said that you did anything illegal - I'm not a lawyer, just some person on the Internet ... the age difference really is not the issue here, more the lack of good judgement on your part. You're in the process of divorcing and this is only adding to the complications in your already complicated life.

I understand your concern over the health of the unborn child. Have you offered this woman any financial help? Is there any way that she would accept some form of prenatal care? You mention that she may have mental issues ... sadly there is not much you can do to 'force' her to take better care of herself especially since she hardly knows you.

You could call up social services and get better advise from them. Your biggest obstacle is the fact that she wants nothing more to do with you.

Comment

Thank you Janibel. I do agree that I think my biggest obstacle is the fact that she has cut me out. She has done that because she wants to keep the child. Believe me, she cannot properly raise a child. She told me she plays with dolls pretending they are children. That's not at all normal, and is one of the reasons I distanced myself from her. Unfortunately, too late.

Comment

Until you have a test you will never know. Surely you're not that naive? You don't know this girl and desperate people do indeed do desperate things. It is commonly said that rejection does strange things to people.

Comment

Thank you arabian. If I didn't think I was the father, believe me I wouldn't stress myself out over it. I am very certain . In fact, there is no doubt. She couldn't have had any time. We chatted so much.

Comment

There is a considerable difference, in my opinion, between a 34 yr old and a 19 yr old. Going through a divorce is not a reasonable excuse for you to have sex with someone with whom you describe as childlike and not mentally stable.

I would suggest that you seek out some counselling and get professional advice.

Comment

Originally posted by FamilyGuy View Post
                      Believe me, she cannot properly raise a child. She told me she plays with dolls pretending they are children. That's not at all normal, and is one of the reasons I distanced myself from her. Unfortunately, too late.
                      Well in family law, as with criminal law, one is 'supposed' to be innocent until proven guilty. Although as a father, your instincts are telling you that she would 'probably' not be a responsible parent. Problem is there's nothing you can do about your gut feelings until she has actually neglected the child and social services have been alerted to the problem.

Having said that, is she taking drugs or doing anything that would seriously endanger the baby's health? If that were the case you'd have a better chance of getting some kind of intervention with social services.

Comment

That's unnecessary, arabian. Agreed inappropriate and regretful, but nothing illegal and certainly didn't seek it out. The issue at hand is the best interest of the fetus and then newborn child.

Comment

Good points Janibel. As I mentioned, I have a very good record of our chats and after rereading the over 12,000 of them, there is a lot that shows he inability to even care for herself, let alone a child. So I do have evidence. I just don't know how I can use it. And no, she is not taking drugs, although I do think she might be drinking socially. But I have no way of knowing and is pur speculation. ALl the other stuff though I have the evidence.

Comment

I think that Arabian made a valid suggestion concerning the option of giving the child up for adoption - especially if you consider the fact that you are already involved in a divorce process with a child custody situation.

You have a lot of stress in store for the future - child support issues and shared parenting? Do you really want to have to deal with an Ex wife and this other woman with 'so-called' mental problems for another 18 years or so? Think about it ....

Comment

I'm sure. I will be raising that child. I just need advice on how to proceed. I thought this would be a good forum to get that advice. I guess I'll do what I thought I need to do and prepare a report for children's aid so that they can intervene at birth. It's the only thing I can think of. I am certain that I have enough evidence to prove she cannot raise a child and I am a great father. My divorce is final. I do have a parenting plan in place for my 4 year old son. That is a non-issue. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X