Travel Consent Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Consent Form

Current court order states that if I wish to travel outside of Canada for more than 2 week I must seek the other party's travel consent which should not be unreasonable withheld. There is no make-up access time provision if party is travelling.

I requested that with my ex and provided the travel consent to sign and commission.

In response I received 2 conditions I must meet before the travel consent signed. We must agree on make-up access time and I must first purchase tickets, provide the full detailed itinerary and then the consent maybe be signed.

What would you do?

I wouldn't have an issue with either of those. Frankly, the question that should be asked here, is why shouldn't those requests be met?

Perhaps his approach to requesting them was poorly done, if they were presented as conditions, but they aren't exactly unreasonable requests of you.

Comment

While I understand the need for seeing a planned schedule/itinerary before giving consent, I don't think it's reasonable to require the other parent to buy the tickets before consent is given. It would be awful to be out all that money if the other parent did not consent in the end.

Yes, I know there can be motions to dispense with the parent's consent, but it's not easy or guaranteed, and meanwhile you've still spent the money.

The make-up access being arranged ahead of time is more reasonable. If you want to take away some access from the other parent, of course you should offer it back elsewhere in return.
      Last edited by Rioe; 03-02-2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Basically, he wants me to first buy all the tickets, send it over to him and then he will provide me with a travel consent. I see this as unreasonable request.

We have a clause in the court order that protects him , that is I must provide him with a detailed itinerary of my trip including the tickets info , etc.

My fears are that he will not provide me with a travel consent and I will loose a lot of money as well as pre -booked off vacation time at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
          While I understand the need for seeing a planned schedule/itinerary before giving consent, I don't think it's reasonable to require the other parent to buy the tickets before consent is given. It would be awful to be out all that money if the other parent did not consent in the end.

Yes, I know there can be motions to dispense with the parent's consent, but it's not easy or guaranteed, and meanwhile you've still spent the money.

The make-up access being arranged ahead of time is more reasonable. If you want to take away some access from the other parent, of course you should offer it back elsewhere in return.
          Thank you. I think likewise.

We don't have a provision in court order that states that I must allow him make-up access time if its missed as a result of my vacation trip. However I have agreed to that as a good will and because I agree that it is in the best interests of the child.

Comment

Originally posted by alice wong View Post
            We have a clause in the court order that protects him , that is I must provide him with a detailed itinerary of my trip including the tickets info , etc...
            If that is what your court order states, then you should follow the court order.

Comment

Basically, he wants me to first buy all the tickets, send it over to him and then he will provide me with a travel consent. I see this as unreasonable request.

We have a clause in the court order that protects him , that is I must provide him with a detailed itinerary of my trip including the tickets info , etc.

My fears are that he will not provide me with a travel consent and I will loose a lot of money as well as pre -booked off vacation time at work.
              So his obligation is to not unreasonably withhold consent. He would like information before he consents. This is reasonable.

Your obligation is to provide him with a detailed itinerary. This is reasonable so that he knows where the child is and what is going on while the travel is happening.

These two obligations don't have to follow sequentially.

There's a big difference between:

Hey, Ex, I would like to take the kid to China for two weeks. We will hopefully fly out on X date, visit my family's home province, take a river cruise, and see some temples, then fly back on Y date. If you're okay with this, I'll provide more details once I have things booked, and then you can give me a letter to take with me.

And:

Hey, Ex, I'm thinking of going somewhere in Asia for a couple of weeks this summer. Give me consent.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
                If that is what your court order states, then you should follow the court order.
                Which i don't mind doing , of course. The question is is the chicken born before the egg or the egg before the chicken.

I am scared to buy tickets and not get consent to travel. He wants my itinerary first and then consent.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
                  So his obligation is to not unreasonably withhold consent. He would like information before he consents. This is reasonable.

Your obligation is to provide him with a detailed itinerary. This is reasonable so that he knows where the child is and what is going on while the travel is happening.

These two obligations don't have to follow sequentially.

There's a big difference between:

Hey, Ex, I would like to take the kid to China for two weeks. We will hopefully fly out on X date, visit my family's home province, take a river cruise, and see some temples, then fly back on Y date. If you're okay with this, I'll provide more details once I have things booked, and then you can give me a letter to take with me.

And:

Hey, Ex, I'm thinking of going somewhere in Asia for a couple of weeks this summer. Give me consent.
                  Not sure what you mean by these two examples.

I provided my ex with country, town and approximate dates of my trip as well as duration. Asked him to sign a consent. I then confirm the exact dates of my trip and provide him with the lodging details. He refuses. He wants all the lodging details first.

Comment

I apologize, I missed the part where you stated that he wanted you to purchase the tickets first. That's makes it into a ridiculous expectation. If you make all the arrangements and pay for everything, and then he somehow comes up with something that would be a reasonable reason to withhold consent, you're out a lot of funds.

Providing him with your plans, with the commitment to let him know the finalized version when you know it, should be more than adequate to anyone except someone simply trying to make things more difficult than they have to be.

Comment

If you use a travel site like Expedia, you can create and save an itinerary which has all the details of the trip (which flights, exactly what dates, which hotels, how much it costs, etc) without having to actually purchase the tickets. That would provide all the information that he needs to know, and additional information besides.

Send him an Expedia itinerary. There is no reason he needs proof of purchase.

Comment

In response I received 2 conditions I must meet before the travel consent signed. We must agree on make-up access time
                        I would almost be shocked if that was not a condition for anybody providing consent. That said, why not travel during your time with the children? No need to cause a ruckus.

and I must first purchase tickets, provide the full detailed itinerary and then the consent maybe be signed.
                        Buying tickets before consent is given is obviously silly. Believe it or not though, my ex tried that stunt once as well. So, this is not the first time I have heard of this.

Seems like you are itching to go to court anyway based on your other threads. A clever ruse might be to bait him: buy a ticket to something that he would disapprove of and then refuse consent. Then, while you are at court, hit him for unreasonably not giving consent. Make him pay for the tickets, and make him pay for the lawyer time used to make him pay for the ticket. He won't pull that stunt again.

(Sadly, stripes has the right idea, but that way is so much less fun)

Comment

here is what I would do

1.plan your travel buy your tickets and also buy insurance incase you have to cancel.
                          2. send him everything. flight # date time hotel, etc. in travel consent. there is a sample one on Canads government website.
                          3. if he withholds the consent at that point then he is being unreasonable and you file a contempt motion and sue him for damages.

I dont think he can withhold travel consent because you're not giving him makeup time. thats no reason to not allow the children to travrl, unless that's part of your agreement. but keep in mind that it would look good on you and help you if you did. otherwise I think you could just tell him you can discuss makeup access when you return. but it is best to plan your travel during your time. I think this is a bit of a grey area. I would offer makeup time if you're taking the child out during his time. but that is not something that goes in a travel consent.

i would take the safe approach just in case. you never know what type of judge you'll get.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by trinton; 03-02-2017, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Ideally, you travel within your own parenting time. Therefore makeup time is not an issue. Or at least, it is MOSTLY within your own parenting time, so makeup time is not so hard to arrange.

Sequence:
                            1) Get agreement in email to travel dates and destinations and exchange times e.g. flying March 4 to Orlando FLA (with exchange 7pm March 3 at Timmies), return flight arriving March 17 (with exchange 7pm March 17 at Timmies). Staying at Paradise Hotel. Contact #555-555-5555.
                            2) Book tickets/hotel
                            3) Send travel consent form with all details filled in, for your ex to sign and get notarized (my sister was refused boarding by an airline because her ex didn't notarize the consent form)
                            4) if your ex refuses to provide consent and/or child's passport, file an emergency motion, with your email as proof of unreasonableness (been there done that)

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
                              Ideally, you travel within your own parenting time. Therefore makeup time is not an issue. Or at least, it is MOSTLY within your own parenting time, so makeup time is not so hard to arrange.

Sequence:
                              1) Get agreement in email to travel dates and destinations and exchange times e.g. flying March 4 to Orlando FLA (with exchange 7pm March 3 at Timmies), return flight arriving March 17 (with exchange 7pm March 17 at Timmies). Staying at Paradise Hotel. Contact #555-555-5555.
                              2) Book tickets
                              3) Send travel consent form with all details filled in, for your ex to sign and get notarized (my sister was refused boarding by an airline because her ex didn't notarize the consent form)
                              4) if your ex refuses to provide consent and/or child's passport, file an emergency motion, with your email as proof of unreasonabless (been there done that)
                              i been in that situation as well.

to add to that, they didn't ask me for travel consents at airport. just the childs passport. it is possible to travel without passport or travel consent and only birth certificate as long as your not leaving canada/us. if that is what you have to do we can share details. but if your court order requires consents and they find out, you're sol. he may even file motion to find you in contempt.

in emergency motion you ask for police assistance to get you birth certificate and passport. you also request that his consent to travel is waved. if they can't get the passport and birth certificate then you ask for an order that you can apply for those without her consent (passport and birth certificate). you can order the birth certificate online and get passport same day expedited.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by trinton; 03-02-2017, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X