This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Case Conferences?

I want to apologize in advance for any questions that seem obvious. But I'm trying to self-represent, whereas in the past I've managed (albiet with difficulty) to have legal representation.

I was just wondering if anyone has attended one of those early case conferences? Are they merely procedural to streamline cases? Evidently they are very short (15 minutes) and case conference briefs are limited to no more than 5 pages in total with limited schedules/exhibits. How do these compare to the regular case conference? Please see link below:

Early Case Conferences in Family Proceedings

In my case, resolution between the parties is highly unlikely at a case conference. Would attending a early case conference be a better option then scheduling a regular case conference?

On a seperate note, what can you request at a regular case conference? Direction from the Judge on possible outcome if the case proceeds to a regular motion? Disclosure of financial information if not provided? Depending on the urgency of the issue, can the judge issue a interim order at all?

Many thanks
    Nadia

Originally posted by Nadia View Post
    I want to apologize in advance for any questions that seem obvious. But I'm trying to self-represent, whereas in the past I've managed (albiet with difficulty) to have legal representation.

I was just wondering if anyone has attended one of those early case conferences? Are they merely procedural to streamline cases? Evidently they are very short (15 minutes) and case conference briefs are limited to no more than 5 pages in total with limited schedules/exhibits. How do these compare to the regular case conference? Please see link below:

Early Case Conferences in Family Proceedings

In my case, resolution between the parties is highly unlikely at a case conference. Would attending a early case conference be a better option then scheduling a regular case conference?

On a seperate note, what can you request at a regular case conference? Direction from the Judge on possible outcome if the case proceeds to a regular motion? Disclosure of financial information if not provided? Depending on the urgency of the issue, can the judge issue a interim order at all?

Many thanks
    Nadia
    Nadia, the ultimate goal of any "Conference" (Trial, Case, Settlement) is to resolve matters that can before trial.

An early case conference generally means that matters have been stalled and that the court wants to get matters resolved and move the process along.

Generally they are made on request for a party to seek technical orders for disclosure of financials and other relevant matters before the court.

They are often used in cases which are identified as "high conflict" to narrow topics for trial and to see if parties have reached any agreements. A decision to move to trial generally is made at them and/or if parties are close to settlement a Settlement Conference.

They are put in place to deal with long running cases (2+ years) before the court or after failed emergency situations are brought before the court.

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X