Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"my lawyer said" I've heard it far too many times! It's just a threat. Call her out on it but be prepared like nbdad advised.

Comment

I agree with NBdad, disengage from the conversation with your ex; clothing is not a Section 7 expense; if you do not have copies of your kids' school's standard lists then visit the school and ask for a copy; while you are there find out what the school activity fees are and pay the amount you agreed to pay in your separation agreement. If you receive a "reasonable" request from your ex to split other costs in relation to school then consider it otherwise disengage.

Comment

What about school uniforms (Catholic school)? Does that come under section 7?

Comment

Not usually if I understand it correctly. The uniforms take the place of clothing, so rather than need X number of new outfits they have the uniforms in place.

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
            Not usually if I understand it correctly. The uniforms take the place of clothing, so rather than need X number of new outfits they have the uniforms in place.
            But uniforms have a set cost that can't be avoided, and they are pricey! Five shirts and three pairs of pants totalled over $300... WAY more than the usual amount I would spend on clothes (and that doesn't include the black shoes and white socks)!

It seems to me that they would qualify as "extraordinary expenses for primary or secondary school education", since they are required for attendance at the school, and are specifically for school.

Does anyone here have kids in Catholic school? How was the uniform issue resolved?

Comment

Originally posted by LotusFlower View Post
              But uniforms have a set cost that can't be avoided, and they are pricey! Five shirts and three pairs of pants totalled over $300... WAY more than the usual amount I would spend on clothes (and that doesn't include the black shoes and white socks)!

It seems to me that they would qualify as "extraordinary expenses for primary or secondary school education", since they are required for attendance at the school, and are specifically for school.

Does anyone here have kids in Catholic school? How was the uniform issue resolved?
              That is not that expensive compared to what some kids clothes can cost - you can buy used too.

Definitely school uniforms are just clothing and covered by CS. If you can't afford new, then buy used.

Comment

Originally posted by LotusFlower View Post

Yes, I have kids in catholic school. No, uniforms are NOT considered extraordinary expenses. Given that you can easily spend $300 or more to outfit your kid for school, spending the same amount on uniforms is not unreasonable at all. That's like saying because you choose to purchase less but more expensive clothes for your chlidren they should be considered a special expense. Or because your kids are growing quickly and you have to buy clothes several times throughout the year it should be a special expense. They aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                  Yes, I have kids in catholic school. No, uniforms are NOT considered extraordinary expenses. Given that you can easily spend $300 or more to outfit your kid for school, spending the same amount on uniforms is not unreasonable at all. That's like saying because you choose to purchase less but more expensive clothes for your chlidren they should be considered a special expense. Or because your kids are growing quickly and you have to buy clothes several times throughout the year it should be a special expense. They aren't.
                  Thanks blink - that's what I was looking for. The thing for me is that the decision to send her to this school was mutual, but the resulting bill for the uniform stuff really is a lot higher than I would have spent on BTS clothes. Her sister (no uniform required) got one new outfit for the first day, three new t-shirts, new shoes, and new socks and underwear - all on sale, and totalling nowhere near $300.

It's pretty moot anyway, since I have received a letter from his lawyer saying that he does not intend to pay Section 7 expenses at all, and that he wants the income that we base his child support on to be reduced by the amount of his travel costs for access, even though it was his choice to move so far away from the kids.

Comment

It's pretty moot anyway, since I have received a letter from his lawyer saying that he does not intend to pay Section 7 expenses at all, and that he wants the income that we base his child support on to be reduced by the amount of his travel costs for access, even though it was his choice to move so far away from the kids.
                    A pro rata split of special expenses is common. SImply submit him receipts and request his portion within 30 days. Once he's refused a few times, you file a motion with the courts requesting he be ordered to pay, that the section of your order dealing with the special expenses be modified to include an anticipated average (ie. an actual dollar figure) so you can file with FRO, and for costs.

And all I would reply to the lawyer is that given it was HIS decision to move away, you do not agree to the cost of access coming out of his CS. Perhaps you could offer to meet him halfway or do 1/2 the driving? (Ie. he picks the kids up to begin his access, you pick them up to end it)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X