Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opposing lawyer keeps delaying - what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arabian View Post
    I like written submissions-only format. Wish all decisions were rendered this way.
    I agree. Justice Pazaratz agrees too. He only renders complete and typed orders now. No more of this letting a lawyer write up the order and have them argue about the content.

Some insight was given in a recent case on how he manages stuff.

As counsel are aware – and as is evident from the fact that my July 4, 2016 endorsement was typed – I use a laptop in the courtroom to make all notes and to type endorsements (which are then printed immediately on a printer in the courtroom, for distribution to counsel and parties). I maintain a permanent record of all files I am involved with, and if a file subsequently comes before me again, I add to my prior notes in relation to that file. Accordingly, I maintain a continuous record of any involvement I have had on each file.
    Catholic Children’s Aid Society of Hamilton v. A.T. and M.I., 2017 ONSC 5706 (CanLII)
    Date: 2017-09-28
    Docket: C-2242-06
    Citation: Catholic Children’s Aid Society of Hamilton v. A.T. and M.I., 2017 ONSC 5706 (CanLII)
    http://canlii.ca/t/h6fbc

He provides more detail on how he operates. All judges should operate this way!

Comment

She missed her second extension !! Omg!!

holy cow,

so the deadline for the second extension for replying affidavit was yesterday and nothing....

I clearly stated as per OL's advice that the second extension is peremptory.

I have an Nov 4th deadline for which I have to get my ass in gear for. Its going to be tight.

I am pretty sure she's thinking, "ok, he'll be late on that and need my consent on that so if he want's it then he'll have to provide another extension".

I cannot believe this freekin lawyer. Who gave this person a law degree ?

Comment

Some recent and funny caselaw for you to consider:

Armstrong v. Armstrong, 2017 ONSC 6568 (CanLII)

Date: 2017-11-01
        Docket: D885/11
        Citation: Armstrong v. Armstrong, 2017 ONSC 6568 (CanLII),
        http://canlii.ca/t/hmvkv

[11] Mr. Startek also indicated he has a personal medical appointment today at 1:00 p.m. The court always respects everyone’s medical issues, and I indicated that we could certainly work around Mr. Startek’s medical appointment. But that didn’t justify adjourning the trial.

Source: Armstrong v. Armstrong, 2017 ONSC 6568 (CanLII), par. 11, http://canlii.ca/t/hmvkv#par11
        Good Luck!
        Tayken

Comment

So, after two extensions... here's her response.

Got this last night. Remember, this is after a first extension which she agreed to, then a second due to a car accident where I set the date, in a peremptory manner.

"I am involved in a very serious and lengthy trial. You are already aware of this.

It is not acceptable for you to unilaterally dictate a schedule and demand I comply with it. If you were counsel, you would understand this. if you were reasonable you would understand this.

I will seek leave of the Court, in particular Justice XXXXX and plead my case to his/her Honour.

You will be served in due course. "

So the reasons seem to be alternating between her case load, and car accident. I called BS. I told her no further extensions, and to get her act together, and that I didn't think the Justice would be too impressed with her track record of keeping deadlines on this matter.

Thoughts ?

Comment

Sounds like smoke and mirrors to get you to agree. Interested in hearing what Tayken and OrleansLawyer have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
              Got this last night. Remember, this is after a first extension which she agreed to, then a second due to a car accident where I set the date, in a peremptory manner.

"I am involved in a very serious and lengthy trial. You are already aware of this.

So are most people. She is barking up the wrong tree. Furthermore, this is paperwork that has been expected for a while now. Also, she knows when she is scheduled for trial. Not like this stuff sneaks up on lawyers. LOL.

It is not acceptable for you to unilaterally dictate a schedule and demand I comply with it. If you were counsel, you would understand this. if you were reasonable you would understand this.
              You can kindly remind the lawyer of:

https://www.lsuc.on.ca/with.aspx?id=...ers-and-others

7.2-1 A lawyer shall be courteous, civil, and act in good faith with all persons with whom the lawyer has dealings in the course of their practice.

[1] The public interest demands that matters entrusted to a lawyer be dealt with effectively and expeditiously, and fair and courteous dealing on the part of each lawyer engaged in a matter will contribute materially to this end. The lawyer who behaves otherwise does a disservice to the client, and neglect of the rule will impair the ability of lawyers to perform their function properly.

[2] Any ill feeling that may exist or be engendered between clients, particularly during litigation, should never be allowed to influence lawyers in their conduct and demeanour toward other legal practitioners or the parties. The presence of personal animosity between legal practitioners involved in a matter may cause their judgment to be clouded by emotional factors and hinder the proper resolution of the matter. Personal remarks or personally abusive tactics interfere with the orderly administration of justice and have no place in our legal system.

[3] A lawyer should avoid ill-considered or uninformed criticism of the competence, conduct, advice, or charges of other legal practitioners, but should be prepared, when requested, to advise and represent a client in a complaint involving another legal practitioner.

7.2-1.1 A lawyer shall agree to reasonable requests concerning trial dates, adjournments, the waiver of procedural formalities, and similar matters that do not prejudice the rights of the client.

7.2-2 A lawyer shall avoid sharp practice and shall not take advantage of or act without fair warning upon slips, irregularities, or mistakes on the part of other legal practitioners not going to the merits or involving the sacrifice of a client's rights.

7.2-4 A lawyer shall not in the course of professional practice send correspondence or otherwise communicate to a client, another legal practitioner, or any other person in a manner that is abusive, offensive, or otherwise inconsistent with the proper tone of a professional communication from a lawyer.

7.2-5 A lawyer shall answer with reasonable promptness all professional letters and communications from other legal practitioners that require an answer, and a lawyer shall be punctual in fulfilling all commitments.

Feel free to use her own governing body's rules against her and remind them of them. Feel free to quote them and ask how her response does not violate them.

I will seek leave of the Court, in particular Justice XXXXX and plead my case to his/her Honour.

You will be served in due course. "
              Your response to the "you will be served in due course" should be:

Would it not be easier to complete your client's paperwork that was by order of the Honourable Justice Whomever to be completed and filed on day, month, year and then extended further to accommodate you on day, month, year? My understanding is that what you are proposing to do because I am "not counsel", "do not understand" and I am "unreasonable" and further to your quote again, "do not understand" would require more effort than simply doing what was already ordered. What I do indeed understand Ms. Lawyer is that deadlines have been given to us by the court, have been extended and those deadlines have not been met.

I point you to the recent words of the Honourable Mr. Justice Pazaratz in (case law I cited above) and remind you that it is a complete waste of court services to continue to extend this matter further. If you are unable to comply what was ordered and already agreed upon for an extension and you are too busy that you have another representative assist in the matter from your firm.

So the reasons seem to be alternating between her case load, and car accident. I called BS. I told her no further extensions, and to get her act together, and that I didn't think the Justice would be too impressed with her track record of keeping deadlines on this matter.

Thoughts ?
              See above... I am sure OrleansLawyer will slap me for this one. But, I hate those kinds of repugnant responses from lawyers to unrepresented litigants. Especially ones who are probably on Legal Aid Certificates.
              Last edited by Tayken; 11-03-2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                So are most people. She is barking up the wrong tree. Furthermore, this is paperwork that has been expected for a while now. Also, she knows when she is scheduled for trial. Not like this stuff sneaks up on lawyers. LOL.

You can kindly remind the lawyer of:

https://www.lsuc.on.ca/with.aspx?id=...ers-and-others

7.2-1 A lawyer shall be courteous, civil, and act in good faith with all persons with whom the lawyer has dealings in the course of their practice.

[1] The public interest demands that matters entrusted to a lawyer be dealt with effectively and expeditiously, and fair and courteous dealing on the part of each lawyer engaged in a matter will contribute materially to this end. The lawyer who behaves otherwise does a disservice to the client, and neglect of the rule will impair the ability of lawyers to perform their function properly.

[2] Any ill feeling that may exist or be engendered between clients, particularly during litigation, should never be allowed to influence lawyers in their conduct and demeanour toward other legal practitioners or the parties. The presence of personal animosity between legal practitioners involved in a matter may cause their judgment to be clouded by emotional factors and hinder the proper resolution of the matter. Personal remarks or personally abusive tactics interfere with the orderly administration of justice and have no place in our legal system.

[3] A lawyer should avoid ill-considered or uninformed criticism of the competence, conduct, advice, or charges of other legal practitioners, but should be prepared, when requested, to advise and represent a client in a complaint involving another legal practitioner.

7.2-1.1 A lawyer shall agree to reasonable requests concerning trial dates, adjournments, the waiver of procedural formalities, and similar matters that do not prejudice the rights of the client.

7.2-2 A lawyer shall avoid sharp practice and shall not take advantage of or act without fair warning upon slips, irregularities, or mistakes on the part of other legal practitioners not going to the merits or involving the sacrifice of a client's rights.

7.2-4 A lawyer shall not in the course of professional practice send correspondence or otherwise communicate to a client, another legal practitioner, or any other person in a manner that is abusive, offensive, or otherwise inconsistent with the proper tone of a professional communication from a lawyer.

7.2-5 A lawyer shall answer with reasonable promptness all professional letters and communications from other legal practitioners that require an answer, and a lawyer shall be punctual in fulfilling all commitments.

Feel free to use her own governing body's rules against her and remind them of them. Feel free to quote them and ask how her response does not violate them.

Your response to the "you will be served in due course" should be:

Would it not be easier to complete your client's paperwork that was by order of the Honourable Justice Whomever to be completed and filed on day, month, year and then extended further to accommodate you on day, month, year? My understanding is that what you are proposing to do because I am "not counsel", "do not understand" and I am "unreasonable" and further to your quote again, "do not understand" would require more effort than simply doing what was already ordered. What I do indeed understand Ms. Lawyer is that deadlines have been given to us by the court, have been extended and those deadlines have not been met.

I point you to the recent words of the Honourable Mr. Justice Pazaratz in (case law I cited above) and remind you that it is a complete waste of court services to continue to extend this matter further. If you are unable to comply what was ordered and already agreed upon for an extension and you are too busy that you have another representative assist in the matter from your firm.

See above... I am sure OrleansLawyer will slap me for this one. But, I hate those kinds of repugnant responses from lawyers to unrepresented litigants. Especially ones who are probably on Legal Aid Certificates.

Bazinga !!!! Thank you Tayken. I fail to see how I would/could look like a d*ck after two extensions.

Comment

Like I said, shes simply trying to scare you into doing what she wants. “Ohh the big bad lawyer lady is going to the judge to get their sympathy”. IF that happened Im sure the judge would school her on proper behaviour.

Comment

I understood that the matter was set down for a motion/hearing date. Move forwards with your case; if the other side isn't doing their job that is their problem.

Are you prejudiced by an adjournment (other than the aggravation of delay)? If so, point that out in an e-mail, stating you will oppose any request for adjournment.

I am sure OrleansLawyer will slap me for this one.
                    The other lawyer is saying, "your life needs to be on hold because I don't have the time to do my job". That is her problem to resolve, not yours. If dates were set/agreed on (particularly in a court order) then the lawyer needs to manage their case load.

People proceed with their cases under the assumption that everyone will follow the set timelines.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
                      I understood that the matter was set down for a motion/hearing date. Move forwards with your case; if the other side isn't doing their job that is their problem.

Are you prejudiced by an adjournment (other than the aggravation of delay)? If so, point that out in an e-mail, stating you will oppose any request for adjournment.

The other lawyer is saying, "your life needs to be on hold because I don't have the time to do my job". That is her problem to resolve, not yours. If dates were set/agreed on (particularly in a court order) then the lawyer needs to manage their case load.

People proceed with their cases under the assumption that everyone will follow the set timelines.
                      Thanks OL, STBX's lawyer emailed me this morning indicating that her intention is to serve me with the responding affidavit. NO INDICATION WHATSOEVER as to when.

I responded saying that the second extension that was provided was 'peremptory', which implies that I would not consent to service at this point.

Justice has already chewed her out once for not adhering to timelines. My sense is to let her have to bring a 14B and try to account for herself in asking permission to serve me this late, after two extensions. This BS has to stop !

Question 1: If she does bring a 14B forward, my concern is that she would do it ex parte, i.e. without serving me, in which case she would lie about the extensions I provided, as I would not have a chance to respond. Can she bring the 14B foward ex parte ?

Question 2: We are headed to trial, and this issue lingering arguably prejudices efforts to get the balance of matters to trial. That is why no further extension. Thoughts ?

Question 3: Forcing her to have to ask the Justice for an extension after 2 extensions (which is 3 dates) shows the justice what a twit she is. Is this not in my favor ?

Comment

Question 1: If she does bring a 14B forward, my concern is that she would do it ex parte, i.e. without serving me, in which case she would lie about the extensions I provided, as I would not have a chance to respond. Can she bring the 14B foward ex parte ?
                        If she lies in affidavits, and you have proof to the contrary, then that would constitute perjury and would be actionable.

However, I do not see how this would be brought ex parte.

Question 2: We are headed to trial, and this issue lingering arguably prejudices efforts to get the balance of matters to trial. That is why no further extension. Thoughts ?
                        If there is an Order for items to be provided by a certain date, and it hasn't been, a follow up motion would be to have those items excluded from the case. Or, if they are to provide materials for a date, to have the date proceed.

Question 3: Forcing her to have to ask the Justice for an extension after 2 extensions (which is 3 dates) shows the justice what a twit she is. Is this not in my favor ?
                        No. The judge at trial does not care if her lawyer is a twit, because you are litigating against your STBX - not her lawyer. Her lawyer does not matter. Do not lose sight of the forest for the trees.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
                          If she lies in affidavits, and you have proof to the contrary, then that would constitute perjury and would be actionable.

However, I do not see how this would be brought ex parte.

If there is an Order for items to be provided by a certain date, and it hasn't been, a follow up motion would be to have those items excluded from the case. Or, if they are to provide materials for a date, to have the date proceed.

No. The judge at trial does not care if her lawyer is a twit, because you are litigating against your STBX - not her lawyer. Her lawyer does not matter. Do not lose sight of the forest for the trees.

So what do I do? let STBX's lawyer crap all over timelines and consent to as many extensions as she needs ? This rampant abuse of deadlines must end.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X