This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had a joint custody split CTB since July 2011 changed

As of July 2011 the payment is issued monthly based on half the amount I would receive if I was a sole custody parent. I prefer this as my income is different at times of the year and I know I will have the funds to help during more difficult financial times. I was informed of this in My and received payment in July as I usually got it for six moths beginning in October. Assume others have had this as well.

Originally posted by hubby View Post
    Jeff had written ...

"Claiming the Canada Child Tax Benefit
    The person who is mainly responsible for the care and upbringing of a child is able to claim the Canada Child Tax Benefit. In cases of shared custody, each parent is normally entitled to receive the benefit for 6 months of the year.

Claiming the Equivalent to Spouse Credit
    You may be able to claim an equivalent to spouse credit for one of your children, if you were responsible for supporting the child."

Child tax benefit is then claimable by BOTH parties for a period of 6 months each I take it?

The spousal credit, what if BOTH parents are responsible for supporting the children in a shared custody regime?

Hubby

Comment

I have shared custody for both my children and the benefit is split every month between myself and my ex.

Comment

shared custody and tax relief

Thanks to the heroic work of a father in a shared custody case, we shared custody parents are now eligible to claim tax credit for 50% of the amount during one tax year. Whether that means you split which kids you claim for or do 50% of the year is up to you and your spouse..but if you and your spouse don';t agree on this then NEITHER of you get it.

If your ex-spouse unreasonably disagrees then you could call a motion and argue that the tax benefit was in the interets of the child and the ex should be forced to allow you to claim .

Also shared custody Dads should be able to get tax relief on legal costs spent getting the ex spouse back to work to benefit form the off-set in child support, This is not a case of arguing the "Right" The Right has already been established, this is to argue the amount and to establish how much ..good luck !!

I dont know what happens to claiming a child as a spouse dependent in situations where in shared custody the mother contributes and therefore they both technically are payors of child support ..anyone know the answer to that ?

Comment

Exactly what I was told and exactly what I do to I claim it and we both get denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
            I'm no accountant, but my understanding is that denying the claim for both spouses is just the CRA's way to handle this administratively. One of the spouses is going to be entitled to the claim, and if it's you, you can get this re-assessed.

Jeff, what do you mean "handle this administratively."? DO you mean they say this but they won't actually follow through?

Comment

Originally posted by elizabethpublicover View Post
              Thanks to the heroic work of a father in a shared custody case, we shared custody parents are now eligible to claim tax credit for 50% of the amount during one tax year. Whether that means you split which kids you claim for or do 50% of the year is up to you and your spouse..but if you and your spouse don';t agree on this then NEITHER of you get it.

If your ex-spouse unreasonably disagrees then you could call a motion and argue that the tax benefit was in the interets of the child and the ex should be forced to allow you to claim .

Also shared custody Dads should be able to get tax relief on legal costs spent getting the ex spouse back to work to benefit form the off-set in child support, This is not a case of arguing the "Right" The Right has already been established, this is to argue the amount and to establish how much ..good luck !!

I dont know what happens to claiming a child as a spouse dependent in situations where in shared custody the mother contributes and therefore they both technically are payors of child support ..anyone know the answer to that ?
              Can you point me to the "heroic" father's court case, that you mention above? Thanks,

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X