step parent adoption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• step parent adoption

How do I go about legally adopting my step daughter? I live in Ontario and she is 17 years old.
    What forms are required?
    Thank you

Curious - why would you want to adopt someone who is going to be an adult in a year? You do realize you could be on the hook for post-secondary education (if you aren't already)?

Comment

Money isn't an issue here. I consider my step daughter my daughter as I've been in her life for 16 years and she lives with her mother and I.

Comment

So you've had time to think about it LOL.
        You can check with your Provincial Rules of Court as they often have the forms listed at the end. I'm not from Ontario. perhaps you will find something here: Adoption

Good luck

http://blog.separation.ca/adoption-o...lt-in-ontario/

http://www.reliableadoption.ca/adult-adoption/
        Last edited by arabian; 04-16-2015, 07:19 PM.

Comment

I'm curious as to your reasoning to implement the adoption process.

As she is over the age of 16, she can initiate an application to change her surname now, to yours, for nominal fees. If you feed her, clothe her, and she has your name, what would the adoption process further for you at this time?
          Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

That really depends on a number of things. Are both her natural parents in the picture, what does the kid want (she may be able to consent on her own at this age), if one parent is out of the picture, have or will they sign off on someone else adopting their child?

Comment

I understand the desire. I wanted to adopt my step son. There are benefits to the child to be actually adopted vs. step child. Even as an adult.

I talked to the court house 2 years ago about it and talked to other parents I will warn you it seems to cost between 5-7 thousand to do a step parent adoption.

I was told by the Flic office that I have to see a lawyer to do an adoption, some of the papers I can do myself but some steps have to be done with a lawyer

Good luck

Comment

Dadx5, what are the benefits of being adopted as an adult?
                If for inheritance rights, those could be dealt with in a will?
                Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Yes a will could be dealt with but often people don't get around to doing a will or power of attorney, if they don't a child that was raised but not adopted would not have any rights as next of kin. Also future grandchildren, great grandchildren, would not be connected as legal family without the adoption, as some people put in clauses for all future grandchildren ect if they are not named and parent not legally adopted they would not be included.

There is also depending on nationality I know that I am Metis, for my step child to have any of the financial benefits ect of that even as an adult he needs to be adopted, there are some financial things that can come into play.

Also the psychological benefit, if can feel more like you were accepted and are part of the family if you are adopted.

Comment

thank you all. Very informative information.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X