University studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University studies

My daughter has just started university. I will be helping her out paying her tution. I'm I still responsible for paying full child support. She is still living with her mom. This could be quite expensive and as such theres no way i can afford to pay both. she is 18

You will be expected to usually continue to pay CS while contributing to post secondary expenses. Note: post secondary expenses are often more than just tuition (books, computers, etc. )

Comment

I just don't know how one is expected to pay more than he makes. Im living pay check to pay check as it is. Where is one to get the money if he doesnt have it

Comment

Originally posted by OB1 View Post
        ...I will be helping her out paying her tution. I'm I still responsible for paying full child support...
        Define "helping her out paying her tuition".
        Are you contributing a certain amount towards her tuition? Are you helping her out by paying all her tuition? Is there anything specified for this, in your current court agreement/order?

Univerisity tuition is usually section 7, so both parents would be expected to contribute their "section 7" share, towards this cost (the child is also expected to contribute). Usually, the parents' contributions are based of proportional percentages.

Comment

I understand and empathize with your situation. All I can add is: prepare to find it (make adjustments to your budget) before it is imposed on you.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
            Define "helping her out paying her tuition".
            Are you contributing a certain amount towards her tuition? Are you helping her out by paying all her tuition? Is there anything specified for this, in your current court agreement/order?

Univerisity tuition is usually section 7, so both parents would be expected to contribute their "section 7" share, towards this cost (the child is also expected to contribute). Usually, the parents' contributions are based of proportional percentages.
            Exactly.

The student is responsible for part of the costs, 1/3 is the usual figure. The parents should be paying the rest according to the Section 7 extraordinary expenses ratio. Both parents pay according to their income.

Comment

In your case, you are fortunate that your daughter is living with her mom, because she won't have many extra expenses over and above her tuition.

So, look at it this way: You are already paying child support, and she is living with mom, so there are no extra expenses there.

The tuition is split three ways, as per previous posts. If the tuition is 6,000 then you are on the hook for 2,000.

If your daughter comes to you for extra money for books, your ex and you have to figure that out. If she comes to you for money for going out to bar, or taking part in clubs, or going on spring break trips, that is for her to pay.

Your overall cost that you should be looking at in this scenario should be about $2,500. Don't rush to assume that you are paying for anything more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Straittohell View Post
                The tuition is split three ways, as per previous posts. If the tuition is 6,000 then you are on the hook for 2,000.

If your daughter comes to you for extra money for books, your ex and you have to figure that out. If she comes to you for money for going out to bar, or taking part in clubs, or going on spring break trips, that is for her to pay.

Your overall cost that you should be looking at in this scenario should be about $2,500. Don't rush to assume that you are paying for anything more than that.
                My understanding is that the OP's share is not automatically 1/3 of the total cost of PSE (tuition plus books plus "lab fees" or other costs) - it's his proportionate-to-income share of 2/3 of the cost, because postsecondary education is a S7 expense.

Like so, assuming tuition, books and other fees come to $8000:

Child is responsible for ($8000 x 1/3) = $2666.

Parents are responsible for ($8000 x 2/3) = $5333

The $5280 is divided between parents in ratio to their incomes on line 150 of their tax return. So if Parent A earns $75K and Parent B earns $100K (the total parental income is $175K, Parent A's share is (75/175) = 43%; and Parent B's share is (100/175) = 57%.

So Parent A pays ($5280 x 43%) = $2293
                and Parent B pays ($5280 x 57%) = $3039

$2666 + $2293 + $3039 = (roughly) $8000

If either parent has opened an RESP for the child, they can use the money in the RESP to pay their share, less the value of the federal grant that foes into the RESP, which forms part of the child's 1/3. Your bank can help you figure out how much of the money in your RESP is money you invested (part of your share) and how much is the federal grant (part of the kid's share).

When you're budgeting for the total cost of postsecondary education, bear in mind that in addition to tuition, books and other fees can be extremely expensive. If your child is in a science-based program, for instance, textbooks could easily reach $2000 per year.

Comment

My daughter is a bright girl, and I will support her as much I can. I don't want to see her suffer as a result of her parents failure. She would like to become a Doctor one day. What greater honor would that be for a parent.
                  My daughter studies are very hard, therefore she cannot work at this time. As for my ex she got laid of this Past December, my understaning is she cant find a job that suits her. My kids told me she has refused some due to the time requirements..I hope that doesnt mean she can com after me for sppousal

Comment

Stripes is correct in her assessment at least according to the lawyer we have seen about this. Your costs to split are tuition, books, lab fees, computers etc. anything that contributes to her getting an education.

Because shes not in residence, youre still responsible for cs to cover her living expenses.

Childs portion can be made up of scholarships, bursaries, grants etc AND OSAP. If your ex is not working and your income is low, shes more than likely eligible AND theres also a new 30% off tuition thing with OSAP for specific cases. She should be applying for it after this year if she didnt for this years costs. And before you freak about loans--her OSAP may be more than her 1/3 portion which means she can throw that into an investment account, gain interest and then use it after graduating to pay off the loan. Plus theres a forgiveness level. Go onto the OSAP page and see if she would be eligible. If youre not in Ontario, there are probably other provincial options.

Bottom line is you still have to pay cs. That doesnt change. And because your kid lives at home, youre not paying residence. So consider the other cost calculations and work that way. Its very noble that you want to pay everything but you cant stop cs and if you do, youll be in for a world of hurt. Plus, your child may be eligible for all kinds of stuff so its to her benefit to investigate that and not expect mom and dad to pay for all of it.

Comment

Sorry, but you're sounding like a bit of schmuck. You need to stop being taken advantage of.

Your ex is refusing work due to time requirements? WHAT? She has kids that require no care, and she has no job, so what kind of requirements can she possibly have?

From the details that you have historically shared, and the other thead you have posted, you saved your bacon by never actually moving back in together during your attempt to reconcile. Her time to try and get spousal has probably lapsed. If she takes you to court she's going to have a tough time. Don't let her scare you into thinking that her taking you to court is going to cause a problem for YOU. She is the one that is likely going to have income imputed to her. She has been surviving for almost ten years without your income, so she can't show need for spousal. She is going to end up on the hook for helping pay for your daughter's schooling.

Don't get caught in the trap of being afraid to watch you daughter suffer or fail just because her mom is not willing to help pay. Your desire to your child succeed is admirable, and it's great that she wants to become a doctor, but you will get NOWHERE by trying to be the better person. I bet your daughter's studies are hard, but if she is a bright girl, and she is living at home with mom, and is in her first year of an undergrad program that is building into a future to apply to med school, she is not that bad off.

Don't get suckered into footing the bill for all of this. Keep focused on paying your share of the tuition, and tell your daughter to either get a part time job to pay for her share of the tuition, or have her get a student loan.

Stripes calculations and estimates are much more detailed and accurate than mine. Even with those numbers considered, you shouldn't be on the hook for more than $3,000. Also, the more learned members can correct me if I'm wrong, but your share of the schooling is supposed to be calculated AFTER she factors in any scholarships that she has. If she is a bright girl and got scholarships that eat into her tuition costs, then you guys should be calculating shares after that point. Since she lives with mom and mom is a net recipient of child support, and if mom has low enough income, daughter can get a student loan. If she's going to be a doctor, she will have to get student loans eventually.

If she's going to be a doctor, she will have high student debt when graduating, but a high ability to pay it off as well. If she wants this badly enough, she will figure out a way to contribute beyond just showing up and studying hard. I had to spend a lot of time working through school, and taking on summer jobs. Many others have as well. The current generation of students is being done a huge disservice by being made to feel that they are the saviors of tomorrow, and only have to do good in school, and won't have to work beyond that. The greatest gift you can give your daughter is to push her towards taking ownership for part of the costs of her degree. Education is not an entitlement, it is a privilege that must be earned. It almost feels like she is learning a lot of questionable values from her mom. Just quit your job, let ex-hubby pay for everything. In your daughters case, it is morphing into 'don't get a job, just study hard, daddy will pay for everything.

Stop beating yourself up over your marriage failing. It took two of you to get married, two of you to make the babies, two of you to fail at that marriage, and it should be taking the two of you to successfully fund your daughter's dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by OB1 View Post
                        My daughter studies are very hard, therefore she cannot work at this time...
                        Perhaps in her case, but note, that there are lots of students going through to be a doctor, that do work in order to accomplish this. She should get used to it now, because the demands are no less so, once you become a doctor.

Comment

I'd like to thank each and everyone for taking the time to answer my question. Sometimes all one needs is to be heard, and by the sounds of your responses you have done that and more.
                          Yes, I’ve had a tough time over the last 10 years and most likely have made several mistakes along the way. I have always been there for my kids and will never abandon them. I will give my heart and sole for them, providing the respect me as their father. That’s all I ask of them.
                          My daughter has received grants and has had her tuition reduced by 30% due to her mom not working. At this time I have put money aside to help her pay her OSAP loans once they are due. I been paying child support for ten years now and realize that I will be doing so for many more years. I think I will be an old old man by the time its over..My son is 14..It never ends until your last breath is taken.

Comment

Best thing for you to do is get the paperwork underway for the sep agreement. Most cases have cs for one degree which means 21-23 years old. Your stbx needs to either get a job or she'll have income imputted. Dont despair. Start putting the pieces in place. Hopefully when the house issue is sorted out and sold, youll have some money put away for kids education. Throw some into an resp and soak up the govt grants to use in the future. If youre only obligated to pay for one degree and you want to help your daughter further, the grants could help.

If she got osap and the reduction then you take the cost of tuition plus books fees etc and take 1/3 for her (to be paid by osap) and then you and your wife split the rest according to income.

But definitely hurry on finalizing an agreement so that all the other details get figured out and youre not stressing about the what ifs.

Comment

It almost sounds like your daughter has covered the lion's share of her tuition without you.

The OSAP is technically what should have been counted towards as her contribution. It sounds saving it up for her is nice, but necessary. Perhaps you should sit on some of that and help her out in the future as needed.

You are right, child support feels like a life sentence. I am going to be paying mine for another 15-18 years as well because my little guy is only 5, and my ex will likely never make as much as me. It doesn't matter if the money helps your kid, it still sucks the soul a little to have to give it to your kid through your ex. I feel you.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X