X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grim reminder that our family laws are flawed

Toronto Sun
    Dads are 'dying'

GUY'S YOU MIGHT WANT TO READ THIS ARTICLE....

THIS IS WHAT THE FRO CAN DO TO YOU

BE WARNED

http://www.dadscanada.com/tor_sun_da...g_20021118.htm

Its a sad story.

Comment

God rest his soul!

Hubby

Comment

Just yesterday someone talked to me about this story. They were blown away by the way fathers are treated in the courts and by the system (not to mention vindictive ex's). It was eye opening. People just have no idea what the family law is doing to fathers and how horrible the system really is. As I always say "You can't begin to make this stuff up".

Sad indeed.

Comment

It's sad , but you never really know the whole story in cases such as these.

Darrin White is always brought out as an example, for instance. This reporter had some interesting comments to the case.

Suicide is never the fault of someone else. It really isn't. Be it the law, the judges, an ex spouse - nothing. It is a decision made for many complex reasons and to point to one thing and say THAT is what did it is just not reasonable.

Comment

Thank you, JENNY! There's always another side to the story, and while it's too bad someone ended up dead, maybe instead of feeling sorry for the "poor father" who committed suicide, how about putting sympathy with the kids who are left behind?

Comment

I agree that men are being treated very porly by the family responsibility office. My husband would be in the same possition as the one in the story if we were not married. The FRO takes all of his income and only tell him to take his complaints to court but who can afford to go to court?

Comment

bmd- the FRO basically only enforces the agreement/court order. It doesn't decide how much to take. You either have to go back to court to have the order changed or both the recipient and payor have to sign a new agreement. The onus is on your husband to have this done since he would be the one to benefit from it.

Comment

I think a lot people confuse "father" with "payor." The court system is not against fathers simply because they are male. Fathers happen to normally be the support payors and, in this particular case, the payor obviously had a very difficult time. This is a very extreme case and, as Jenny said, there is usually more to the story.

In my personal opinion, I think it would be much more fair to say that the courts are against payors (although I do not believe this is true), rather than say that the courts are against men (absolutely not true).

Lindsay

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay
                    In my personal opinion, I think it would be much more fair to say that the courts are against payors (although I do not believe this is true), rather than say that the courts are against men (absolutely not true).
                    Lindsay
                    Google "Fathers Custody Rights" and "Mother Custody Rights".

Comment

DecentDad,

Google "Battered Wive Syndrome" and "Battered Husband Syndrome." The lack of battered husband support groups does not prove that there are no battered husbands.

Lindsay

Comment

Originally posted by Decent Dad
                        Google "Fathers Custody Rights" and "Mother Custody Rights".
                        But just be careful which sites you read from - they aren't all accurate!

Comment

I have a very difficult time agreeing with you Lindsay.

Does anyone remember the distribution of men and women of the advisory group for the recently published Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines document?

Anyone?

Here's a hint: it was 4 to 8. Respectively.

I think that there are countless examples of bias. I would be please to see examples of fairness.

Comment

I basically go on:

1) stastical facts
                            2) expereicne from others (100+)
                            3) personal experience
                            4) case law
                            5) the laws in general
                            6) general public outcry (websites, books, etc)

What are you basing your opinion on?

Comment

Wow, so this is true? I would think that if it ever got that bad, the person would take the time to reflect and find out what he really wants to do with his life. It's so hard to understand how someone could feel so bad that they wouldn't even want to try.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X