X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member with a few questions

Hey guys and gals.

im new here and have a few questions. Me and my wife have now been seperated for a year now. we dont have any kids and have split everything already. so this is a very simple divorce.

ive been reading some info on this site here and its been helpful but not quite clear. from what i understand i will need forms 8A, 25A and 36.

what ones do i need to actually go down to the courthouse to start the actual process for the divorce?

also does anyone know the cost of the initial process in ottawa?

I believe it's Form 8A Application for Divorce. If you cannot afford to pay the clerk the money to have it filled ect you can ask for a fee waiver. I have started mine and my initial cost for filing was $167.00

Comment

awesome. thanks for the info.

ive never been to the courthouse downtown. i guess there will be signs on where what is but im assuming i go to the family court?

Comment

Originally posted by gabbygenier View Post
        awesome. thanks for the info.

ive never been to the courthouse downtown. i guess there will be signs on where what is but im assuming i go to the family court?
        There are uncontested divorce kits at Staples that will guide you through the whole process. Generally they are 30$ and worth it. Uncontested divorce is all you are looking to do. Just have to have an agreed upon date of separation that is a year (or is it 6 months now?) from the current date to file.

It will go to a judge, judge will read it over to make sure it is OK and sign and file it. 30 days later after filing you can get a divorce certificate.

Quite easy to do if the other party is in agreement with everything you submit.

Good Luck!
        Tayken

Comment

I went to staples and i didn't see a simple divorce kit. There was a divorce kit but I had already gotten it at chapters.

Only thing is its not too clear for some things. I filed out the 8A form and going to the courthouse today. Hope all I need is that to file the divorce.

Comment

The clerk at the courthouse will give you all the forms you need as well. When you file the first part of your divorce she will help you go over it to make sure there are no mistakes. They will give you a file number and you have to put that number on the top right hand corner of your form each time you do a another part...it has a box for it.

Comment

went the other day and was done in 10 mins. very simple and very quick. thanks for the info Lorac

Comment

Wish it could be as easy for everyone

Comment

You're very welcome :-)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X