No announcement yet.

Benefits to 50/50 custody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with the others, you really need to sit down and figure it out now! When I seperated, I approached my work and negotiated a new schedule where I worked 12 hours shifts on the days where I didnt have the kids so that I could drop off and pick up the days I did have them. The Ex kept bringing up things she thought might be a problem for me with 50-50 and I just kept telling her I would work them out, as it was my problems to work out. Finally it became clear to her that I wasnt going to give up and she just dropped it.

The problem with giving in now as Blink mentioned is that it will not be easy in the future to say: I am now ready to try and work things out for the sake of getting 50-50.

Comment

Great points! I'm definitely going to fight for 50/50 and make it work somehow.
      Thanks for the tips

Comment

Originally posted by dantheman71 View Post
        Right now I start on a Wednesday morning and end Tuesday afternoon (7 on 7 off)

I might change to starting Wednesday at noon and ending the following Wednesday at noon. More of an 8/6 type shift. Both shifts could possibly allow 50/50 but I physically won't be home 50% of the time, although it is close.

I absolutely want joint custody and will definitely try and get 50/50 access.
        What exactly is this 8/6 shift type? What are your work hours? Are you going to be working the majority of time while they are in school/daycare or during evenings and nights?

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
          What exactly is this 8/6 shift type? What are your work hours? Are you going to be working the majority of time while they are in school/daycare or during evenings and nights?
          I will work basically 8 days on 6 days off at a remote work site and I stay in camp.
          first and last days are half days, the 6 in the middle are 12 hours.

No matter what I can't have the kids while I'm at work, but I think I have ways to get 50/50 anyway.

Comment

I will work basically 8 days on 6 days off at a remote work site and I stay in camp.
            first and last days are half days, the 6 in the middle are 12 hours.

No matter what I can't have the kids while I'm at work, but I think I have ways to get 50/50 anyway.
            So during the 6 days that you are off, you are still at the camp ?

Comment

No I'm home for the 6 off.

Comment

Makes sense now, thanks very much for the info!

Ideally I want 50/50 both but there is a chance my shift changes to more of an 8/6 rotation soon.

No matter what I want joint on decision making.
                CHILDREN FIRST!

job second.

There are child care providers that you can hire to retain 50-50. People who toss their children around because of their shifts really need to realize that they don't have to be with their children 24x7 when they reside with them. Also, they need to realize that the other parent is on the hook for the portion of child care too.

Never give up time with your children to the other parent because of "shift work".

Comment

No I'm home for the 6 off.
                  There should be no reason as to why you shouldn't have those 6 days then.

It should be an issue of cost analyst at this point - is it worth going to trial for the extra 10% time? I would say even an extra 5 minutes of time with your child is worth going to trial for.

If you're going to trial to get that extra day (where the child would likely be in daycare) - if other parent is available then you're just increasing your daycare costs - but if this leaves this time open to you to have in case you are taking a day off or if that day falls on a statutory holiday then that can be a good thing to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                    1. I prefer 50/50 because 60/40 just seems like a number to escape full CS and it is 1% away from that which can be breached by things of life.
                    To clarify, what Links means is that if you are sick for two days of your custody, you drop to 39.9% or whatever, and then you pay full support. Your expenses will be the same, but your child support will skyrocket.

It is almost impossible to pay table support and provide for your children. 60/40 is one bad cold away from losing your kids.

2. I think it more firmly cements in everybody's minds you are both equal parents.
                    Also important. At 60/40, she is the real parent, and you are the wallet.

And as others have said. Kids first, job second. Find daycare.

Comment

Great comment, do you have examples from CANLII that someone was able to still retain get 50/50.

The scenarios I see where parents lose is Parent A does shift work and during that time, Parent B is available to take child. How do you counter argue against the fact that child could be with parent instead of child care provider?

Nevermind, I found it! In this case, the child care provider was parent A's father and new girlfriend.

http://www.canlii.org/en/sk/skca/doc...&resultIndex=1

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                      CHILDREN FIRST!

job second.

There are child care providers that you can hire to retain 50-50. People who toss their children around because of their shifts really need to realize that they don't have to be with their children 24x7 when they reside with them. Also, they need to realize that the other parent is on the hook for the portion of child care too.

Never give up time with your children to the other parent because of "shift work".
                      Last edited by FirstTimer; 09-08-2016, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstTimer View Post
                        Great comment, do you have examples from CANLII that someone was able to still retain get 50/50.

The scenarios I see where parents lose is Parent A does shift work and during that time, Parent B is available to take child. How do you counter argue against the fact that child could be with parent instead of child care provider?

Nevermind, I found it! In this case, the child care provider was parent A's father and new girlfriend.

http://www.canlii.org/en/sk/skca/doc...&resultIndex=1

Love the case. Thanks. I'll add it to my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X