Lawyers on Fixed Fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arabian View Post
    You pay a retainer (let's say 5,000.00 for example). You sign a retainer agreement which sets out the arrangement in great detail.

You ask for a monthly invoice. Many people do not do this. The monthly invoice has a break-down of costs. You will see very clearly of how much it costs each and every time you phone/email or meet with your lawyer. You will see how much it costs for the lawyer to send and receive communication on your behalf. After receiving your first invoice you can extrapolate the amounts and get a fairly good idea of how much the matter is likely to cost you. Of course, you have already set out a "plan of action(s)" with your lawyer.

At this point you make the decision to carry on with this lawyer or hire another one. If you decide to dismiss the lawyer, you will receive a final invoice/statement and if there is money left over from your $5,000.00 (how many times did you call/meet with your lawyer?) you will receive a refund.

I do not see any mystery in this process at all. If client wants to micro-manage the lawyer then the costs will be reflected on the bill.

If I were a lawyer I would never agree to a set amount to take a matter through trial. There are too many unknowns (client or client's ex may be suffering from mental health issues - to just name one).

I'd recommend retaining a lawyer and be as organized as possible. Also helps if one is realistic in expectations.
    I decided I was going to un-ignore you. I agree with you here. It is how it is with my present lawyer. Up front lawyer. Honest expectations from the get go, what to expect, what not to expect, best strategy to take, and avoiding telling me what I want to hear or don't want to hear, but rather telling me what a judge would say, etc.

Upfront retainer, monthly invoices, and minimum retainer every month to move forward with.

The previous lawyer didn't even give me a retainer agreement! No terms of the retainer were discussed or agreed upon, a retainer agreement did not exist. The lawyer she just came up with random charges and crap as the case went on. All of sudden a year into the retainer decided to charge me for the time to do dockets and charge me for parking. New lawyer doesn't charge me for any of that crap and even allows me to use his parking whenever I am in the area and need to go somewhere, for free! Every-time I received a bill from the old lawyer I felt like I had received a cellphone bill from Rogers. Like whoa whoa, I don't ever recall signing up for the my5 package.

Being organized definitely helps, a tabbed binder with all your crap, and meeting with the lawyer prepared, notes on everything you want to discuss, taking notes when meeting with the lawyer, etc.

It also helps when the lawyer is organized and doesn't spend hours trying to find documents from your file, while charging you for the time.

You don't want to be this guy with your lawyer, or your contractor:

Last edited by trinton; 04-05-2017, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
      Very typical response from an self centered, ignorant, ALWAYS and NEVER person.

Be very cautious of people who use NEVER and ALWAYS to negatively describe other people.

Not sure why this was removed from my initial post ? If you're going to direct something negative at others be prepared for a response. We're all entitled to our opinions.

I will never care what you think of me. And it wasn't removed from your original post so maybe you should check that out instead of always assuming people are removing things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
        I will never care what you think of me. And it wasn't removed from your original post so maybe you should check that out instead of always assuming people are removing things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it was actually. Those 2 sentences are not there. I don't see them. I don't care what you think of me either. But I know what a well educated mental health professional would think of you regarding this whole "maybe you should" and " never" and " you always" thing.

Just the mere fact that you have responded to me proves that you cared about what I think of you. tata.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
          Do you mean the part where the Small Claims docket is filled with people suing their contractors for not doing the work? Or limited retainers?
          A valid point though. In addition, most contractors work on a time-and-material basis even if they give you a single quote. This is why the fixed cost bids end up jamming the small claims docket.

There is no perfect estimation model even in the most standard of estimating systems like construction. All sorts of things will disrupt the fixed price. Weather, etc... So, with a fixed price you can be assured that the estimate has been padded significantly to cover costs. Good contractors do this but, charge much more.

A cheap lawyer, contractor, computer, etc... is just that... a cheap lawyer, contractor, computer etc...

If you want to blow your mind up check out this cost estimation model for the software industry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COCOMO

Comment

Very typical response from an self centered, ignorant, ALWAYS and NEVER person.
            I think you are taking your reading and research a little far to suggest BF is any of this.

Be very cautious of people who use NEVER and ALWAYS to negatively describe other people.
            A single occurrence on an anonymous message forum does not equate to a pattern of behavior you can suggest what you are suggesting.

I hope all is ok with you.

Not sure why this was removed from my initial post ? If you're going to direct something negative at others be prepared for a response. We're all entitled to our opinions.
            BF is not anything you have described nor has this esteemed poster ever been accused of such to the best of my knowledge.

Good Luck!
            Tayken

Comment

Yes it was actually. Those 2 sentences are not there. I don't see them. I don't care what you think of me either. But I know what a well educated mental health professional would think of you regarding this whole "maybe you should" and " never" and " you always" thing.
              When you calm down. I recommend you re-read what you have written here. You are projecting what a mental health worker might think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection
              Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.[1] For example, a person who is habitually rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude. It incorporates blame shifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                When you calm down. I recommend you re-read what you have written here. You are projecting what a mental health worker might think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection
                Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.[1] For example, a person who is habitually rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude. It incorporates blame shifting.
                Lol dude you don't a clue what you are talking about. I'm very calm.

I suggest you read into why people use the words never and always in a defensive way:

“Always” and “Never” statements are frequently used by people when they are arguing in order to emphasize or illustrate the merits of their position. “Always” and “Never” statements are usually exaggerations, which serve an illustrative purpose and are understood by both parties to be hyperbole and not literal. As the self-contradicting adage says, “Always and Never statements are always false and never true.”

“Always” and “Never” statements are also very frequently used by individuals who suffer from personality disorders, because they fit neatly into the split, black and white world of their thinking. They are most often used in an accusatory, argumentative or self-pitying way.
                Where did I use the words never and always here?

Comment

Nobody removed anything you posted. I will suggest, however, that you may have mistakenly removed things you didn't intend to at some point during your 30+ edits this morning.

Comment

Lol dude you don't a clue what you are talking about. I'm very calm?
                    My opinion differs.

Where is Mess when you need him. Man I miss him.

Also... Really... Are you going to cite Out of the Fog as a good resource?

http://outofthefog.website/top-100-t...ver-statements
                    Last edited by Tayken; 04-05-2017, 02:11 PM.

Comment

My opinion differs.

Where is Mess when you need him. Man I miss him.

Lmao. I'm very calm. I'm actually laughing my ass off at all of this. hahahah. People on this site crack me up the majority of the time.

Are you projecting again Tayken ? LOL

Last edited by trinton; 04-05-2017, 02:15 PM.

Comment

The maturity of your postings suggests otherwise...

Or is it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudobulbar_affect ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDo6g4CCeU
                        Last edited by Tayken; 04-05-2017, 02:53 PM.

Comment

The maturity of your postings suggests otherwise...

Or is it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudobulbar_affect ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDo6g4CCeU
                          Are irrelevant Wikipedia articles and random youtube videos the best you got ?

Comment

Well I suppose it's great for a lawyer to give you a quote but how do you deal with that when the other side is unreasonable? If a trial should cost you $35,000 and the other side delays and delays and delays, you're going to owe your lawyer more because they have had to go to court a dozen times rather than the 2 trips is should have taken.
                            is it common for the judge to award some costs to the other party if there are obvious delays

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X