Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with mental illness and domestic violence

Hi

I like to take a moment and say what a great site and interesting topics and answers. To all the seniors and members keep up the great information and answers.

I thought I start a tread on this topic due to I am working on a case and any help would be greatly appreciated or if you recall any cases in law that would benefit or help.

Story:

Couple date for 1year he is aware of some mental problems only what she told him.

They move in with each other for 4 mths. During the 4 mths he had to deal with many emotional and mental problems she had. Such as mood swings, temper on phones with other people. Vanishing from time to time. Crying and p0hysical health.

Asked her to leave several times due to this was disrupting his child and hers and arguments and her defense was always high. In other words wasn't working out more of her emotional and mental health came out not really aware how bad it was.

One night they get into verbal argument and women slugs him and he then pushed her hard which she fell to the ground.

She then went to police and he was arrested for uttering death threats and assault.

Police attend home and arrest him seeing that he also had injury on the face but told him he could not press charges until he was release from jail.

Well they both during trial were charges with assault. The crown told them to take a peace bond he agreed and accepted. But she refused.
    So court case was at later date. But later they dropped charges also so now both charges were dropped on both parties.

Would you believe this is now gone to Supreme Courts for abuse and money she wants for damages??

With all evidence saying she is Schizophrenia / Bi Polar.

Now this man has to and had for the last 4 years dealt with her going to police saying he hi jacked car, dressed in costume and yelled at her nasty names. Plus many other things he can't get away or move on his life due to she says many things to police he's being called in on everything.

Well now its before the courts she want payment for abuse and threats.

She found a lawyer to work on consignment so she has nothing to lose but him he has to payout $ 60,000 in fees.

How can you protect your self from someone like this ????

P.S. If you have any information on mental health on living with abuser that went before the courts would appreciated it.

[QUOTE=anna D;18879]

Would you believe this is now gone to Supreme Courts for abuse and money she wants for damages??

[QUOTE]

No, I don't believe it and said as much when you first aired in it your thread "Punitive Damages" only days ago.

It's not as if these parties have much of an expectation of privacy now that the case, according to you, is before the Supreme Court.

Again I ask you, what is the case?
    Last edited by dadtotheend; 01-06-2009, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Is this not the same thing you posted in "Punitive Damages" over here: http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...-damages-3768/ ?

If so, I'm not sure what you will gain from a whole new post with slightly altered information.

Best of luck.

Edit: Quit posting at the same time as me dadtotheend :P
      Last edited by Kimberley; 01-06-2009, 12:34 AM. Reason: Dropped my xylophone

Comment

Yup, sounds like one for the classroom, but seriously, you can't make this stuff up.

Anna, you say this is a case you are working on, but then you refer to "me" and "us" as if you are involved in the case.

This case is NOT at the supreme court level unless you are leaving out a whole lot of information. In the meantime, this guy is more crackers than she is if he makes an offer to settle.

I don't think anyone here has any advice to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by paris View Post
          Yup, sounds like one for the classroom, but seriously, you can't make this stuff up.

Anna, you say this is a case you are working on, but then you refer to "me" and "us" as if you are involved in the case.

This case is NOT at the supreme court level unless you are leaving out a whole lot of information. In the meantime, this guy is more crackers than she is if he makes an offer to settle.

I don't think anyone here has any advice to offer.

I agree, this is not a divorce/family law issue that we as a forum can offer advice on. It appears on the surface this is two individuals in a whole barrel of pickles. I really hope she does not win a claim for assault as it appears they are both guilty of making and perpetuating poor choices. No better then 2 years olds in a sand box pushing and shoving to get the only shovel.

Comment

Thanks

I new to this so I thought maybe i should of put this in the abuse area then general. Maybe I am not using the forums right and then I apologizes.

Yes I did put up a post earlier regarding claims on punitive damages but nothing has been altered just heading. maybe it gave more in dept on case in that thread which she is claiming for money (ex Girlfriend).

Story never changed.

This person being is my boyfriend and his ex girlfriend how I am involved. Due to I did 2 years Law but didn't finished (Stupid me) I did most of the investigations such as legal work for lawyer to cut my boyfriends cost.

This women (ex Girlfriend) has caused us great grief in the 4 years we been together even to the last moment of a family members death she started.

I notice and read some articles that some of the member have pointed out to other people questions. Which were cases that have gone before the courts and outcome or outline. Which I found to be great. Keep up the good work

I have been reading articles on mental health and abuse and common law and cohabitation. Trying to find anything that could put me a step closer In getting the courts to through this out or ending this.

Yes it can be taken to civil action to supreme Courts. It starts today pretrial. I wish i could give more depth in it but it pretty much is the story.

I am like you shocked even went this far but boyfriend doesn't want to give her anything more then 5,000 to get rid of her so she is out of our life's. He already gave her 1st & last months rent.

Ex girlfriend is trying to claim common law (only living together 4 1/2 mths), emotional and mental stress, property she claims he sold, and abuse and assult damages. I many other unbelievable stories that people can dream up. which i mention a couple in this thread.

If this women wins it will change the commonlaw and cohabition which will change a great deal this area.

I believe and if I am wrong these areas as commonlaw, cohabitition , marriage it all comes down to sepration. Which falls under family law being in the type of relationship you are in do u have kids together.(which they dont)

Oops I think I may of started an argument here (laughing). Laws are changing.

And I think its about to change again.

It depends on time lenght together were this will fall in courts hands. when people or sepration dont settle with agreement.... it moves up to other court levels. So it goes to show no matter married or not

Maybe i am in the wrong area if i am please forgive me.

Comment

Originally posted by anna D View Post
              Ex girlfriend is trying to claim common law (only living together 4 1/2 mths), emotional and mental stress, property she claims he sold, and abuse and assult damages. I many other unbelievable stories that people can dream up. which i mention a couple in this thread.
              This fact alone is enough for your "boyfriend" to win any claim she has against him with respect to money she feels she is entitled as CL does not factor unless you have been cohabitation 1yr for tax purposes and 3 years for CL family law purpose.

She is entitled to no financial awards arising from the 4 month union.
              As for anything else it's a crap shoot, and would hinge on evidence and documentation

Comment

So we get another lengthy, irrelevant, illogical, incoherent and rambling post.

We need to stop responding to this nonsense. This is a waste of everyone's time and has already been addressed. Someone had to say it. I'm done with this issue.

Comment

Yes, Anna's only request is for someone to link her to a previous case that is similar, and there aren't any. It's never happened.

Although I wouldn't advise him to give her $5,000. I wouldn't advise him to give her anything.

Comment

Thanks everyone that helped. And the support....

As per Dadtotheend.. I'm finding you not too pleasant. When people come in here for answers or questions or even advise. Maybe they are new to this forum or may even ask stupid questions that may not seem fit to your standers but this is what this forum is here for help advise not to judge or prosicute the person.

Or are you now judge and Jury of this forum.

I don't think I was rambling on I was only answering questions that were asked back and maybe advise on or if anyone has seen or heard of another sitituation that came to the courts and what its outcome was.

I am new to this Ottawa Divoirce Forum and noticed different area's so this is why I posted on another area. I didnt mean to affend anyone or have an argument on here.

I am still in shocked by what you said Dadtotheend.

"lengthy, irrelevant, illogical, incoherent and rambling post.

We need to stop responding to this nonsense. This is a waste of everyone's time and has already been addressed. Someone had to say it. I'm done with this issue.

I just want to say thanks for your lovely comment I am glad that a senior member can respond to someone new in this forum this way and react in this manner.

As per the rest sometimes the questions are not easy to understand but don't be rude to people ..... Everybody has different situations in there life and proberly and would like to express what they are feeling and not sure on how to ask or maybe post or even put jot forms on there issues for help.

But does it mean to be mean or rude to them.. How about understanding....I read some of the questions and found alot of you very help full.... Kind and very good to people..

Keep up the good work

As per you dad to the End they should revoke your senior member

Thanks everyone again and sorry for me responding back this way just imagine how a new person feels with someone responding like that to them....

Comment

anna, as it's been stated several times, no-one can provide you with any links or items that are similar to your case because there are none. There are no answers that can be given to you regardless of which area of the forum you post the question.

Best of luck to you

Comment

Notice the trend? Damages? More examples of delusional thinking, a real example of hearing only one side. Not that they impress me with the need to hear the other side

Steve

Comment

I think you make a great point Anna and I'm glad that you said it with such tact.

Your writing is a bit difficult to understand.
                          Perhaps English is your second language or you're just a poor speller (so am I). in either case that is certainly no reason to judge you so harshly or be rude to someone clearly seeking the same thing we all are seeking here..

Somewhere to air our story and frustrations too. The hopeful prospect of meeting likeminded people who sympathise and if we are extra lucky empathise with our stories.

Maybe I'm a sucker for the underdog but she seems really unfairly judged here by these replies. Is this the sort of "support" and attitude I can expect from this forum if I make a mistake?

I understand she posted in more than one place (annoying but common noob mistake) and her use of the English language is atrocious but she seemed perfectly pleasant asking a perfectly valid question.

if you don't know the answer why comment at all?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X