Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBC Child support article

Look at the rage in the commentary.

'Deadbeats' across Canada owe more than $3.7B in support - Manitoba - CBC News

Deadbeat moms across Canada owe more than $3.7B hours of make up time for access and court costs -- LF32 News.

About time they get a site dedicated to them.

Comment

Interesting article Links. IMO a true deadbeat (male/female) is a person who pays NO child support when they DO have the ability to pay it. Those who are in arrears because of unemployment or material change of circumstances, they are mostly parents going through the ups-and-downs of life - these cases should be re-examined and adjustments should be made.

Intact families may not always have stable amounts of cash coming their way, so why are divorced families expected to uphold a different standard? Doesn't makes sense does it? Not realistic .... problem is lack of court resources to clear these messes up - simple solution, they continue garnishing and those owing end up digging deeper into debt.

It's hell for both the payers and the payees' if you ask me.

Comment

I'd like a name for aholes who receive a ton of support and still paint the image of a deadbeat when the payor is paying. And a name for the support recipient that gets full guideline support in a shared parenting regime and continues to demand the payor to contribute $10 here and there regularly to items already paid for by virtue of CS.

Honestly, many paying parents are just cash cows to the recipient. Its disgusting.

Comment

The entire system has set itself up for failure and congestion. Its systematic of every bureaucracy. Courts, Health Care, CRTC, etc... The bureaucracy comes all encompassing, and expands it's scope to the maximum possible limits. (1)

Why is a full judicial hearing required to change child support, if the recipient doesn't agree to less money -- WHO would ever agree to less money,? Especially when based on a transparent change in circumstances? IMHO the entire process could and should be streamlined, and turned into a rubber stamping process.... simple and opposable, for simple cases.

Example
          I'm collecting long term disability now, from an national insurance company, with a 36% decrease in income . This should be a formality to reduce my child support, receiving party consenting or not.

A doctor has reviewed the case already, and an insurance company has approved my case, so why should my ex wife have to agree to the decrease for a simple reduction? It just sets up a conflict, which fulfils the legal systems bureaucratic mission. In my case I feel should be able to walk into a court house with paper work, swear an affidavit, and a judge stamp it. If my ex wants to disagree, the onus should be on her to start a case, not me.

The same should be the case for an involuntary lay-off, mass closing of a business, etc.

Luckily I can cover the difference, and stay out of arrears, but lower income earners would not be so lucky...... I could file paper work, but I cant handle the stress or BS.

So yes, changes to the system would reduce the number of "dead-beats".

foot note:
          (1) that's my theory at least.

Comment

It still seems unbelievable in this day and age of technology that CS is not linked to CRA income tax returns automatically. You should be able to file your taxes and once processed by CRCA CS payment are calculated and automatically adjusted. It would clear hours of the court dockets. It is entirely possible to do they have everything in place. All our T4's automatically appear on our account, if you collect EI and try and cross the border Monday - Friday Border controls link with EI and they question if you were available for work on those days. It would seem in our countey children and families are not key priorities. If you are the payor or the receipent you are faced with an impossible situation which can only lead to unnecessary conflict. I bet its a simple fix, so why not?

Oh wait it would also take work away from Lawyers, so they would probably oppose it as unconstitutional.

Comment

CS makes me sick in that the recipient can continue asking for money here and there and every day without consequence. $3K of support payments a month and we are asked to buy shoes we have already bought twice. And a shit storm of emails ensue. We are firm, we will not purchase another pair of shoes... the emails continue and we ignore. I realize this is not the intent of the thread but where the hell are people's thought process when they pull this kind of crap?

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
                CS makes me sick in that the recipient can continue asking for money here and there and every day without consequence. $3K of support payments a month and we are asked to buy shoes we have already bought twice. And a shit storm of emails ensue. We are firm, we will not purchase another pair of shoes... the emails continue and we ignore. I realize this is not the intent of the thread but where the hell are people's thought process when they pull this kind of crap?
                Don't bother trying to understand how people can act this way .... plain and simple GREED!!! If she had any kind of sense in her head or a moral compass she would be appreciating the 3K she receives every month when so many don't pay their CS and the children sadly, have to do without.

Comment

My favourite was when we were asked to pay for the teacher's Christmas gifts! Oh yeah, and we had already given our own lol

Oh wait, then there was the under the table "baby sitting" that when challenged didn't exist...

Comment

Or how a person can just go into the court house, sign a form for money "owing", have it notarized and filed for collection with FRO and its not even the proper amount as per the agreement filed with FRO.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                      Or how a person can just go into the court house, sign a form for money "owing", have it notarized and filed for collection with FRO and its not even the proper amount as per the agreement filed with FRO.
                      Really? Wish it were that easy to go in to a court room, sign a paper saying "hey, mom left with my child, force her to go 50/50 until we sort this out". (if no police, no abuse verified, no CAS, etc).

This whole CS thing isn't going to get any funner is it?

Comment

Originally posted by LovingFather32 View Post
                        This whole CS thing isn't going to get any funner is it?
                        Not until the day that a prominent MP or MPP with clout is involved in it directly, sees what a mess the system is, and then uses their personal power to affect positive change....

Comment

I'm guessing strongly worded letters from all of us wouldn't help.

Comment

I don't believe that day will come. Its too prosperous to change - people are rewarded financially when they separate.

Comment

IMO the reason the SYSTEM has not been up-dated is because there's no incentive to do so ... the courts are making tons of money off of our misery, so why would they want to change the status quo?

Would any of us have gotten married if we had known how unfair the family law industry is? Pick any poster in here and ask them how many professionals (so-called) are involved in their divorce case?

We are feeding these leeches with our children's inheritances, our retirement funds and our hard-earned savings.

Don't hold your breath waiting for some super MP to tackle this monster, it will never happen - there's too much money to be made by not fixing the problem.
                              Am I jaded ... yes!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X