This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovery in Alberta - formerly know as questioning

I have to attend Discovery this week, in Alberta, apparently it's just where my lawyer, can ask my one day ex questions and his lawyer can ask me questions. My lawyer has provided me with questions to look over but they aren't divorce questions for discovery, just examples on how to answer. He told me to answer with only, yes, no, or I don't remember and really to shy away from elaborating.

I am just looking for actual examples of questions that might be asked of me?

Is your case regarding child custody and/or spousal support and/or division of matrimonial property? Or all of the above? Married how long? Common law? Separated when? more info is needed to give you an answer.

Comment

More Info

I feel badly about telling me "sad" story, this and nervousness over this discovery meeting caused me to leave out some details.We have been separated for a year and 1/2, we were married for 9 years. My husband is living in the home with his girlfriend which he was corresponding with during our marriage. I left with the children because of his anger towards me; he would yell at me and start fights in front of our two children. It scared my children quite badly and it was starting to affect them. My husband owes a great deal of money to the government, and they are trying to collect with motions started to sell the house and land that we lived on. He was very dishonest during our marriage and I really didn't know where the money was coming from, if we had any money, what his business dealings were and so on. I believe he thinks I am not entitled to as much of the matrimonial property as him, and there has been no division of the property as of yet. I have interim day to day custody of the children, and he has visitation every other weekend. He hasn't said too much or brought anything forward to get more visitations, but I do believe he will ask for more. There is no request on my part for neither supposal support, nor will there any on his part.

Comment

You have a lawyer - hope you have a good one. What your ex "thinks" is irrelevant. Don't be nervous, just be truthful. Your lawyer will be sitting beside you and will interject if he doesn't agree with the questions being asked by your husband's lawyer. The discovery is a fact-finding mission. I hope it goes well for you and your husband discloses everything he should about his finances. Are you working? Do you get any financial support from him at all? You say you don't know anything about your husband's business dealings. Was/is he self-employed? Sounds like he has owed the govt money for some time. Were you not aware of the debt? Are you own personal tax returns up to date?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X