Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 months prior to the commencement of divorce proceedings.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 months prior to the commencement of divorce proceedings.

Hello
    Me and my spouse Have been in Ontario for 6 months but prior to that we resided in Saskatchewan for 2 years . My question is can we start our divorce now? We hope we do not need to wait 6 more months to file our divorce in Ontario?(since you need to reside for 12 months prior to the commencement of divorce proceedings.) Can we file it now in SK?
    Thank you in advance

slow down a bit first. You only moved here 6 months ago from another province? Has the marriage been in trouble for a while or is the stress from the move getting to you guys?

Comment

no it was troubled already for long time

Comment

i found this, to me it sounds like it doesnt matter how long you have been in a certain province, just as long as you have been in canada for a year. I could be wrong though.
        Either or both of you have lived in a Canadian province or territory for at least one year immediately before applying for a divorce.

Comment

thank you for your replay. But where should we apply in SK or ON?

Comment

I am thinking that the FLIC office maybe your best bet to find out. Sorry for this to happen to you at Christmas. Mine ended last year about the same time but I didnt let family know until after the holidays. It was hard.

Family Law Information CentresĀ (FLICs) - Ministry of the Attorney General

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X