This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Form 14, support and making of an offer to settle

So lots came down today - ex has done the form 14 (sorry is that a normal form for what is upcoming - the motion to determine a fair level of SS). My lawyer's note was, after you settle down, we can talk about doing the offer to end this (I made this a strong suggestion this week - keeping in mind where we are today and the steps yet to be done should this be pushed to court)

My questoin on spousal support, lawyer suggested to just ask for the min amount. Nice but the min amount will not do a good job at surviving given the extra expenses I incurr today and is, as estimated by the doctors, will only rise if for nothing else, I have depended greatly on the family memebers to get me through the hard for me tasks, driving, more and now faced with supporting myself I will need to begin to hire out some of the basic tasks that I will not be able to do. Makes sense - my costs to survive will rise as my medical issues, even if they remain as they are today, my ability will decrease with each year that passes - makes sense!

So we are not rich, we will both see a decrease in living standard. There will be a greater chance of my ex finding a new partner than myself going forward - I have known this for a long time, not hard to figure given I have such a hard time even leaving the house for any length of time..... to find a new person for me??? I will plan to need to remain on my own going forward for only practical reasons. So that is the sappy stuff of the sum of the 73 numbered items she has included in her last form 14A - (most are not applicable to the issue of property or support, the main issue she does not like is the fact that I have a documented book of medical issues (happy or better sad that doc and I spoke to my hospital file's thickness and how difficult it is to help me when I am brought to emerge...)

So given the usual issues brought up here regarding the issues surrounding entitlement and there is no question to that fact. Given that we did move to find work twice and niether she or I lost work opportunity as a result so 24 years and my disability/being gainfully or otherwise unemployable as a direct result would be the main issues??? The numbers show that even with so many surgeries, unable of work, I actually still was the main financial supporter for our family. Last three years I admit the roles did change and we are there today our incomes are 40K apart going forward.

I know we speak of budgets and I am told that this is going away to the prefered method of income spread and with the length of marriage pushing the 25 year mark, that income spread between both parties is now the "more prefered", at least that is how I have read it, but if I remember the quoted gap - it is 37-1/2 to 50% of the overall income after taxes. I admit based on a non inflated budget my future is bleak given that I am short 50%+ each month.

SO if I may get comments on how or what is the deciding factors and how does this translate into the support guideline which is based on high, med, low..... and as far as support for our two children still in school for the next year or two (one of each for us!) the provisions of CPP disability is to provide support help for the children now at a much greater percentage than the guides suggest (5-6 times more which is good for them). How, what/why would one spouse be in the low range with another in the highrange - being fair to the payor and myself in this case??? Comments?
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X