Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to calculate Child Support when its 2 kids versus 3 kids ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to calculate Child Support when its 2 kids versus 3 kids ?

Background : 50 / 50 custody , 1 week on 1 week off for 2 youngest children.

Third child lives will me only . All 3 qualify for child support .

What is the correct method for calculating child support ?

Is it , she pays me for 3 kids based on her gross salary and I pay her for 2 kids based on my gross salary ?

Or is there a different method that the courts use ?

Thank you in advance , Any help is appreciated .

https://www.mysupportcalculator.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Sung View Post
      Background : 50 / 50 custody , 1 week on 1 week off for 2 youngest children.

Third child lives will me only . All 3 qualify for child support .

What is the correct method for calculating child support ?

Is it , she pays me for 3 kids based on her gross salary and I pay her for 2 kids based on my gross salary ?

Or is there a different method that the courts use ?

Thank you in advance , Any help is appreciated .
      I have always been confused about the method the courts use, primarily as it seems to vary between judges.

Objectively, below is the fairest method, which I've never heard of a court using. But if you're just working it out between the two of you, you may find it something she would agree to.

There are three children involved.

Figure out your full table CS amount for three children (not quite based on gross salary, but usually on line 150 of your income tax).

Figure out your ex's full table CS amount for three children.

Add them together. This is the total money available for supporting the three children, no matter where they live.

Now, it gets divided in proportion to where they live.

You have 2 kids half time and 1 kid full time. That's the equivalent of 2 kids full time.

She has 2 kids half time. That's the equivalent of 1 kid full time.

You get 2/3 of the total CS, and she gets 1/3.

Now you just do some math, figure out what each of you put in vs what you get out, and you can figure out the net amount that has to change hands between you.
      Last edited by Rioe; 01-11-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X