This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone

I just heard about this forum on yesterday's broadcast of Asunder. Has anyone else been listening to it? I'm in the middle of a hostile custody battle and am getting discouraged by the never-endingness of it. Can anyone relate? I currently have full-custody, but my extremely hostile ex is gunning for shared time, even as he attacks me at every turn, making settlement difficult. I'm not sure what motivates this behaviour and it increasingly difficult to tolerate. I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this, but I'd like to hear how other cope.
    P.S. I'm well aware of the questionable nature of my moniker's theatrical namesake

I'm sure there are many here who can relate to your situation. Can I ask why you're against shared parenting?

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not against shared parenting. I'm trying to settle on that . . . but shared time with someone who is actively hostile towards me and intent on maligning me to my 4-year-old is not easy to handle. I'd love to co-parent, but currently my daughter is being told that she has 2 mothers and that I'm really not her "family."

Comment

I also listen to Asunder and find it very interesting.

I also listen to some pre-recorded programs on an Alberta lawyers web site.
        familylaw-balbi.com

They are called L.A.W, Law advisory workshops. Try the one on March 14 2007-High conflict people in legal disputes.

Comment

This site was on CBC? I think it was Rachel Cave that sent me a pm asking for an interview or something a while back, but I wasn't really that into it. I'll have to listen to the show.

Comment

Yes, Asunder is on CBC Radio. I posted a link to the program episodes a couple of weeks ago under "General Chat." I also received a PM for an interview.

Welcome to the forum.

Nadia
            Last edited by Nadia; 08-17-2010, 09:50 PM.

Comment

hmmm, They really sound like a ....

"hostile", "battle", "extremely hostile", "gunning", "attacks me at every turn", "making settlement difficult", "difficult to tolerate",
              I wonder what their version is ....

Welcome to the forum

Comment

hey mothercourage.

I too feel as if I am being attacked by a hostile ex. He's said that he would be happy with a 65/35 split but will fight me for 50/50 in order to not have to pay child support. He says that he won't pay a set amount for child support every month and wants me to bill him for child related expenses. In addition, despite the fact that we have already calculated our net family property and I am willing to not take an equalization of his pension, he refuses to deal with the equalization and the kids separately and will not give me my share of the net family property until we agree to custody and support which means that we have to continue living together while we either battle it in court or I concede to his crazy idea for billing him for child related expenses and hope that he pays them. I deal with my stress by running/biking/swimming, chocolate and the occasional glass of wine.

Comment

This was extremely helpful. Thank you for the link.

Comment

CMG, I can relate. It is hard to live normally and be ensnared in this type of ongoing conflict. The dealing with high-conflict people link through familylaw-balbi.com is really helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by CMG View Post
                      hey mothercourage.

I too feel as if I am being attacked by a hostile ex. He's said that he would be happy with a 65/35 split but will fight me for 50/50 in order to not have to pay child support. He says that he won't pay a set amount for child support every month and wants me to bill him for child related expenses. In addition, despite the fact that we have already calculated our net family property and I am willing to not take an equalization of his pension, he refuses to deal with the equalization and the kids separately and will not give me my share of the net family property until we agree to custody and support which means that we have to continue living together while we either battle it in court or I concede to his crazy idea for billing him for child related expenses and hope that he pays them. I deal with my stress by running/biking/swimming, chocolate and the occasional glass of wine.
                      He is out to lunch if he thinks he can not pay according to the CS tables, using either the full amount or the set off amount. Nobody does billing for expenses and it simply won't work for too many reasons to list - ahh the ignorance of newly separated people.

I wouldn't want to pay full table when I take care of the kids 35% of the time - seems very unfair - which is talked about a lot here. On the other hand 35% of the time (5 days out of 14 for example), may seem like they are just visiting him and he many not end up doing/paying for 35% of their care such as clothes, camps, school stuff, and other expenses/events. You may end up essentially being the 100% real caregiver, but he doesn't pay you full table. If he does not want 50/50 (or reasonably close), then he probably will not take care of the kids financially/effort wise for his portion and in that light, he should pay full table amount (or close to it). Every other weekend plus every wednesday is 28%, so he is doing one more day than that.

Given that you must both maintain a home for the kids here is one idea - you can use the offset method (his CS table amount - yours) = what he pays you monthy (or visa versa if you make more) BUT you than also split all normal expenses (ie not section 7), such as clothing, school trips, sports, camps, etc 50/50 (keep receipts and balance it out monthly). Section 7 (medical, dental, etc) would still be according to income. You update CS amounts yearly July 1 based on previous year income tax returns. The only thing 'unfair' about this if you have the kids 65% of the time is that you would feed them more, more utilities, and possibly be restricted from making some income as you would have more parenting duties. This could be alleviated by going to 50/50 (and why would any parent not want this), or he can compensate a set amount each month.

That's my 2 cents.

Comment

Thanks Bill M. The proposed parenting plan is one night a week for dinner and every other weekend and all along when I've asked if that's a sufficient amount of time, he has said that it would depend on how much child support he would pay. I have additionally stated that I don't need the full table amount. I earn a decent salary and am not out to get him. The issue is that he won't agree to any set amount per month, not the $700 suggested by the mediator, which is $400 less than table amount or even $500 which I would have agreed to. This is about control and he hasn't sought legal advice as he thinks he knows what's right. My lawyer has basically laid out several scenarios for me all of which involve going to court at some point to have the child support issue resolved. I am willing to leave at this point, with no legal child support arrangement and agree to bill him monthly if he will let me have my share of the net family property just so that I can get out of the house. I will go to court when we are no longer living under the same roof.

Comment

Originally posted by CMG View Post
                          T...The issue is that he won't agree to any set amount per month, not the $700 suggested by the mediator, which is $400 less than table amount or even $500 which I would have agreed to...
                          $500 per month to raise 2 or more kids? $17/day???!!! He's an IDIOT if he thinks thats not a 'deal' (especially considering the table amount is $1100). He's also a <insert appropriate title here> for not simply using the CS tables according to his income and stand up to his obligation to support his kids. Writing the cheque is the easy part. I pay a lot more than that and I have my kids half the time (more than half time actually)!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X