This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elizabeth1962
    Women do not make as much as men. That is a fact. I have friends that are women that work full time and they tell me they couldnt afford to live on their own. Rent, car expenses, fuel, food. It is to expensive to live in this province.
    I shall completely disagree to this. I am a single Mom of FOUR children where I work full time and make a bit more than most of the males at my job in an IT role. I also barely receive any child support; since August 2005 I have received the total sum of $2700 - if I were to divide that by the number of months since we separated than that works out to $65.85 a month for four kids.
    I do not ever want SS, I want what is right and just for my kids once and for all. While there may be those that are entitled, such as myself after a 14 year marriage where I gave up earning an income to raise the children while he was able to put in longer work hours etc to further himself, I had no interest in SS in any way whatsoever, all that matters to me is my children and their needs.
    Sometimes greed causes people to fail to be able to look past the thickness of their billfold and mistake 'entitled' and 'want' for need.
    Last edited by Kimberley; 01-29-2009, 01:47 PM. Reason: Dropped my xylophone

Comment

Originally posted by elizabeth1962 View Post
      There is currently 183 thousand sitting in trust. My lawyer told me not to release the money so we could bring him to the table for support.
      So if you walk away you'd get $91,500?

Are you saying you want $121,500 plus SS?

Comment

Originally posted by paris View Post
        So if you walk away you'd get $91,500?

Are you saying you want $121,500 plus SS?
        Does anyone see how greedy this looks? The other fact that was not asked is what is your legal bill at right now? and what is your lawyer charging you per hour? Because we all know that has to be taken into account here.

Comment

Yes, however, i made an offer to him that i would settle for half of the 30K and i would take 10K as a lump sum for spousal support so that i could end this thing. He wont agree to the 1/2 for the deposit though. So i am willing to take 25K to settle the whole issue, the 30 and the spousal support. He wont agree to that.

Comment

Originally posted by elizabeth1962 View Post
            Yes, however, i made an offer to him that i would settle for half of the 30K and i would take 10K as a lump sum for spousal support so that i could end this thing. He wont agree to the 1/2 for the deposit though. So i am willing to take 25K to settle the whole issue, the 30 and the spousal support. He wont agree to that.

If I read this correctly you are not looking for half the equity your offer was 25k + 30K and a lump sum of 10K for spousal support = 65K in total

Comment

No, she wants her $91,500 (half the equity) plus $15,000 (half the deposit) plus $10,000 (spousal)... $116,000 in total.

You say you need the spousal to live off of. Do you plan to live off of this lump sum?

Comment

I personally think you are crazy not to take what you have got and run!

Your lawyer obviously knows how much money you have tied up in trust, which, I might add, is a nice tidy sum....... Can you not see that he/she is like a wolf looking at the juicy lamb!!

They have no interest in whether you win or lose...... They will still get paid and will drag this thing out as long as they can to suck you dry.

You will be lucky to end up with $30,000 out of the original $91,500 .......Is it worth it??

Comment

May be I am reading to much in between the lines.I do beleive that this ELIZABETH is a man defaming woman.

Comment

As someone above said elizabeth1962, you're SOL on the house equity.

Revise your offer to exclude that, keep the $10K lumpsum in lieu of SS, and get the get the hell out of Dodge.

Comment

Originally posted by sufferer View Post
                      May be I am reading to much in between the lines.I do believe that this ELIZABETH is a man defaming woman.
                      What where did you get that from?

Comment

I know if it's hard to give up a gift from your parents since it means more than cash... However, do some comparisons, his contribution (monthly mortgage * 12months * 7 years + paid tax+his down) vs your contribution( you mom's gift + your down). I think you have a pretty good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by metro View Post
                          I know if it's hard to give up a gift from your parents since it means more than cash... However, do some comparisons, his contribution (monthly mortgage * 12months * 7 years + paid tax+his down) vs your contribution( you mom's gift + your down). I think you have a pretty good deal.
                          we have tried to explain that to her but she refuses to listen. She will only here what she wants to here.

Comment

I don't get it. You put 33k into the house, he put (at least) 90K into the house, and you split the other expenses 50-50. And now you are asking for 30k back?

Comment

An update on this

We settled this issue with a mediator.

She got 18K extra,on top of splitting the house 50-50. That was a lump sum payment for spousal support.

she had been looking for her deposit back of 30K and then she wanted support of 465 a month for 8 years which works out to 44K so she was looking for 74K

I told her from the beginning she was only entitled to 15 - 20K max but her lawyer had her believing she was going to get this. It is so sad what lawyers do to people.

She cost us both about $4000 in lawyer fees each. I have to say my lawyer was great, he had always told me that amount and he was right.

In the end, i dont feel i owed her support so in my opinion she got lucky by taking advantage of a very flawed system. And there should be some sort of tribunal where lawyers like she had should be made to answer for their blatant misrepresenting clients!!!!!

Comment

And you screwed yourself friend, by agreeing to a lump sum payout.

You CANNOT use that amount on your income tax. Personally I would have offered her a little more $$$ each month, rather than a lump sum.

You'd at least get some of it back on the tax deduction then.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X