This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client Solicitor Assessment

Has anyone been involved in the process of assessing the lawyer's fees and what was the outcome?

Did you also file a complaint with the LSUC?

I have a hearing scheduled in two weeks and would really like to touch base with anyone who has been down this road...

Thanks so much,

Desperately seeking sanity

Originally posted by tipper View Post
    Has anyone been involved in the process of assessing the lawyer's fees and what was the outcome?

Did you also file a complaint with the LSUC?

I have a hearing scheduled in two weeks and would really like to touch base with anyone who has been down this road...

Thanks so much,

Desperately seeking sanity
    What do you anticipate the hearing outcome will be? Many dispositions are published at Canlii.

Comment

I had one with my lawyer last year. I was very happy with the outcome. A lot of lawyer like the one I retained are just pompous crooks. I had my bill reduced from $3500 to $1200. It is very informal and I I took 2 hrs to cross examine my lawyer. He was furious but I maintained my composure thru my entire questioning. It is in front of a Master not a Judge. You are only allowed to ask questions thru the Master for the lawyer. No direct statements. It's like being on Jeopardy. I prepared my list of questions in advance. My lawyer was totally unprepared and thought since he was the one with knowledge of the proceeding, he would just walk all over me. It didn't happen and he was ticked. My strategy was to ask the questions in a way that would bait him and he certainly took the bait.

Good Luck

Comment

Hello,

I just have a few questions:

May I assume this was your only legal counsel?

Do you remember how the Assessment Officer determined the amount rewarded?

What was the "theme" or type of questions being asked?

I have read somewhere that the lawyer is actually not permitted to represent themselves, is that correct?

Thank you for your consideration.

Comment

Happy to help,

He was my only legal council. I chose to release his services and ended up representing myself.
          I have no idea how the Master came to his decision other than he heard the questions and examined the lawyers bill. Based on that, he came to his assessment

The lawyer represented himself

As much as lawyers are Officers of the Court... Mine was a bold faced lier under oath. I did my best to get him to contradict himself and he did. That didn't help his credibility in his honesty towards my billing.

My theme was basically that when you pay a Professional $350 per hour you expect a level of service of which I felt I did not receive. My theme was my expected value for the money for his service and a complete breakdown of questioning on his bill.

A lawyer must provide you with a very detailed billing statement for his service. I did my best to break it down piece by piece and questioned each part. It is your legal right to do so. I did it deliberately to take up his valued time as well.

I was in a very difficult state of mind when I retained him and he took full advantage of that. When the smoke cleared I was able to at least get some vindication. I have no respect for a person who preys on people who are vulnerable

Comment

Originally posted by justafool View Post
            I did it deliberately to take up his valued time as well.
            That's a great one

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that proceeding.

Comment

Glad you liked it Dad. When that crook stormed out of the Chambers and I knew that I had taken up his whole morning on the assessment at $350 per plus knocked his bill down substantially.... I thanked the Master and happily toddled on my way.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X