This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• she wants more and is lieing!!

so here it is... i was in a 7 year common law relationship ... my bussiness failed and i was not able to pay my share.... she kept records that i have never seen

After I left she said the total dept owing was slightly over $5000 but would make
    it $5000 even with no agreement or mention of interest. We made a verbal agreement for $5000, to be paid when my seasonal work allowed me to do so. . We also agreed that I was not going to be going broke and not have a life just to pay her back, and I would not make any payments when I was laid off or on lean times. To which she replied " Nor would I expect you to "

I had made payment totaling $2100, still never seeing anything OR signing anything. i then got injured two times at work and have had many lay-offs.. so i have worked about 18 months of the last 36 even after moving to what i thought was a better job..I was fully willing to pay as per our agreement..

now she is taking me to small claims court and lieing sayin she doesn't remember the $5000 agreement and is saying she has ALL receipts and "her" accounting, that i have never seen or signed anything...and saying i owe her 3900 + interest...

after I got her court papers. i phoned and offered her $200 a month till the $2900 was payed and she said "no"

since i have never seen or signed anything... does she have any chance of getting a judge of beliving that she is right??
    should i just say i owe her nothing...i have given her $4000 in total..2100 plus payments before the relationship ended
    Is me debt non existant because we were living in common law??

what am i to do??
    she is lieing about our agreement
    she is lieing about the amount
    she has broken our verbal agreement..does that make me free from our verbal agreement...

please help or ask me to give more info so you can help me more

Go to court and know that you will be ordered to pay her between $2900 and $3900.

Be prepared, don't lie about what you think you owe her, and that will be that.

Comment

Hmmmm

so even though i have signed nothing but my replay to the courts saying that we had our agreement for $5000, the terms and how much has been payed already

I am sure she has made up a new page to show the courts and get more money out of me?
      and she is lieing about not having made a verbal agreement...

i'd think that because she was lieing, and has nothing signed by me...... that she has "no"case

Comment

she may not have a case since you did not sign anything however if you know you owe the money then say so in court if you know you don't owe any money then say so in court, you have to decide what is what, and the court will listen, don't play dumb or it may come back to bite you. Write down what you recall and when, and what you have paid so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Mantesa View Post
          so even though i have signed nothing but my replay to the courts saying that we had our agreement for $5000, the terms and how much has been payed already

I am sure she has made up a new page to show the courts and get more money out of me?
          and she is lieing about not having made a verbal agreement...

i'd think that because she was lieing, and has nothing signed by me...... that she has "no"case
          I really hope you learned from this to get receipts for money given and NEVER rely on verbal agreements. Did you write it down somewhere how much you paid and when? Can you show where the amounts were taken out of your account? I am thinking that she will not get the interest because you did not sign an agreement saying that you would pay interest.

Do yourself a favour and tell the judge the whole truth. If your ex gets tripped up with her lies then the judge will give more crediability to you and will use your version of the deal.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X