Family Court vs Criminal Court?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Court vs Criminal Court?

I asked my lawyer to file "with abuse." She didn't want to, but finally did, but procrastinated so the divorce was not finalized until after the 1 year mark so we no longer have the option to prove abuse in family court. Thus, if I want to prove abuse, it will need to be done in criminal court. That shouldn't be too difficult because I have several years of online journals, my counselor of 7 years has taken notes, and for the attack that ended the marriage are emergency room and two MD notes with X-rays help prove the physical part of the abuse.

Ex won't answer his lawyer's e-mails, voice mails or certified letters. He hasn't given anything towards discovery so the lawyers can try to make a settlement. He didn't show up at court. The judge granted the divorce with a 31 day waiting period that was final yesterday. The judge said since the lawyers can't get the ex to work towards a settlement, then it has been removed from the lawyer's hands and the judge will determine the settlement. My lawyer says this is probably in my best financial interest. Ex kept 95% of the furniture, 95% of housewares, my piano, even kept my birth certificate and some other legal documents. My lawyer had to fight several months to get my passports (I'm a dual citizen).

My lawyer said ex would probably lose the home as his retirement income won't be adequate to refinance to include my portion of the equity. I have talked to the police about my concerns and they said since I haven't pressed criminal charges, that there is nothing they can do. They will send an e-mail to each constable, so they can have a plan of action just in case he would come after me when he loses the home.

I still haven't decided if I'm strong enough emotionally and physically to press criminal charges - although there is no statute of limitations. I was hoping to get the divorce and the settlement done and then decide if I want to press charges. Biggest concern is the criminal court is so small that I could stand in the witness box and easily spit on him - a bit too close for mental comfort. I don't know if I could testify with him that close or if I'd just fall into a heap of anguish.

Has anybody pressed criminal charges? Was it worth it? After the trauma of finding he had a girlfriend, the abuse when I confronted, the time in a women's shelter, starting life over at age 58, going back to work to survive, discovering I'm very sick... how do you know if you have the strength to go through a criminal case? I often wonder where I get the strength to go through each day and I can't imagine compounding that with a criminal case. My church said if I decide to press charges that they will stand by me every step of the way - from going to the police to press charges to holding my and in court and after-care when the hearing is over.

Did anybody file for divorce "with abuse" - if so, how was that for you?

Thanks for your information and input.

Hephzibah
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X