Update on my custody issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on my custody issue

Just an update for some of you that have been following and been giving me really good advice, I'd like to share some good news.

We had a court order back in April, and were assigned a case management judge. We finally saw the case management judge this month, and filed for sole custody as she wasn't obeying the court order set forth in April.

Judge on the spur of the moment decided that both myself and my ex (who wasn't present and had to call to show up) do viva voce testimony as the judge wanted to know what was truly going on. As my lawyer said after, it was a gift.

On decision Judge slammed my ex for her not following the order, and if I had asked for contempt, the judge would have put her in contempt and put her in jail or lose access to our son. Judge also ordered that she go to anger management. In regards to sole custody, judge would not rule on it, said she would give my ex 6 months to show she can change. I currently have primary custody. Judge also called my ex's testimony "offensive". It was incredulous, first she blamed the reasons for not following the court order because

1. She didn't understand it and that 50/50 is all she would agree to so therefore she had the right to ignore it cause she didn't agree to it.

2. When confronted that she was there and present, her lawyer argued that they didn't get the official order till 2 months later therefore there was no order to follow. Later argued by the judge that her lawyer was there in the April court date and had agreed to it.

3. After that failed, my ex said my lawyer "buttered her up" and she was under duress and didn't understand what what was going on. To which judge said, so she should have been aggressive?

4. My lawyer said, well wasn't your lawyer there? Then she blamed her lawyer, saying "he was there, but he wasn't paying attention".
    (Keep in mind what happened in April was the judge gave us 20 minutes to come up with a schedule collectively us 4, myself, my ex, and our two lawyers that was similar to the old order but less breaks between days)

This has been a long 4 years to finally have a judge see what has been really going on. I'm happy, my son finally has a change to have stability and routine. Thanks everyone for your advice you have given me over the years.

My advice, document everything like mad and don't be discouraged a judge doesn't read your evidence. The next judge might and the next one won't. But when you get the one that is on a fact finding mission, you have evidence in your favor.
    Last edited by FirstTimer; 10-07-2016, 06:32 PM.

Congratulations on a positive day in court! Your perseverance and love for your child has propelled you forward.

Sounds as though your ex's lawyer made a series of tactical errors. For a lawyer to state #2 (above) is stunning. He/she made themselves look like an incompetent idiot in front of a judge who will likely remember them for a very long time.

Way to go!
    Last edited by arabian; 10-07-2016, 09:40 PM. Reason: edit... forgot the poster was in Alberta

Comment

Thank you Arabian. You've been an awesome resource of knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2. When confronted that she was there and present, her lawyer argued that they didn't get the official order till 2 months later therefore there was no order to follow.
        A point to mention: an Order is in place from the moment the judge makes it, not when people reduce it to writing on Form 25.

Comment

Sounds like another sole custody situation gone bad and dragged back to court. I don't think her behaviour will change until the court puts in place a 50-50 order and will likely continue to litigate. Sole custody orders hardly ever work out in the best interests of the child.

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
            Sounds like another sole custody situation gone bad and dragged back to court. I don't think her behaviour will change until the court puts in place a 50-50 order and will likely continue to litigate. Sole custody orders hardly ever work out in the best interests of the child.

So your recommendation here is that I stop pursuing sole custody, drop primary custody and give my ex 50/50 if I want her to stop litigating as that's what best for the child?

Comment

Yes! Try to think past the moment and look into the future. It's apparent that what is happening here is emotions running high, and you are unable to see the potential damage this will do the kid psychologically in the future.

Mommy/daddy issues emanate out of situations like this. In instances where there is no abuse, alcohol, gambling, etc...50-50 will always be a better solution for the kid(s)

Originally posted by FirstTimer View Post
              So your recommendation here is that I stop pursuing sole custody, drop primary custody and give my ex 50/50 if I want her to stop litigating as that's what best for the child?

Comment

That's crazy... if a parent is doing more harm than good they need to be removed. One of the benefits of divorce it gives the kids an out from a crazy parent. 50/50 is good when the circumstances are normal but when you have psychos they need to lose custody ASAP.

Comment

Or along the lines of Links17, the other parent needs to pull up their socks. If 50/50 is automatically granted, rather than earned, there is no incentive or 'ah ha' moment for the other parent to shape up.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X