This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dealing with emotions over divorce

Hi everyone! I am a new member 2 this website. This is my 1st post. I wanted 2 share my story with u all and look forward 2 receiving your replies. Well, i have been married for a little over a year now. And soon after the marriage, when i moved in with my husband into my in-laws house, shortly after troubles began with me and my in-laws.

My father in-law is very controlling and dominating. He is constantly interfering with our lives and has made my life hell! He controls my husband’s money, as in his bank account and gives him allowance money 2 spend from his own earnings! This has created issues between me and husband and our spending. Starting from grocery shopping 2 eating out etc. His dad always wants an account of everything we did and what we spend where. And on top of all of that he likes 2 complain and criticize on our spending. And the sad part in all of this is, that my husband cannot speak up 2 his father and set some clear boundaries for us.

There r many examples like the one i just mentioned where my in-laws constantly meddle with our lives. But the problem is that my husband doesn't see it like that. Instead he is accustomed 2 the way his dad is and doesn't see anything wrong in his behavior. And he is 2 scared of his dad 2 speak up and say anything 2 him. Thus, this has been an ongoing problem in our relationship.

I've tried 2 address this issue among other issues numerous times but 2 no avail. And things only seemed 2 pile up over time, to a point that i could not take it anymore.
    Since a little over 4 months, we have been living separately and i have finally decided 2 take the huge and difficult step of considering 2 divorce him. I spoke 2 him about how i was feeling, and that i was beginning 2 consider divorce as a probable course of action in the near future. And he recently told me that he also feels that getting a divorce seems like the only solution left at this time, since moving out and having our own place is out of the cards for him. Since he feels he cannot turn his back on his parents and have his own life with his wife. And i certainly cannot go back 2 the house and live with my in-laws.

Now that we r at this crossroad, the reality of the situation has really hit home for me and i am finding it very hard 2 let go off him and our life together. Knowing that we love each other and want 2 be together, but cannot seem 2 be able 2 come 2 a compromise which works well for both of us.

I would really appreciate some feedback from anyone who can relate 2 my situation and what i am feeling and offer me some advice. I feel like i am in a bind at the moment, any suggestions would be a great emotional help..thanks!

I can see the bewilderment and hurt in your words. I feel for you. It seems that your husband and you still love each other but the reality has set in.
    It's sad that your husband would allow his Father to come between you.
    Since it's like this after one year of marriage imagine if you both had children: it would get worse and, when and if custody became an issue, the in-laws would be on hubbie's side and you may get a really raw deal. Believe me, read the posts in this forum and you'll see the reality of child custody and all the hurt and frustration that it entails.
    Do you want to be with a man who can't stand up to, or LEAVE his parent's control; you're asking for trouble.
    Make a 'pros' ( good points) and cons(bad things) list of this situation and you'll be able to see things more clearly.If your Husband is not willing to be independent from his parents you really have two choices, as I see it: 1) learn to live with it, which I think will get worse 2) accept that right now your husband is going to allow this and you will be second to the parents so it may be time to take legal action.I'm not sayin to divorce that's certainly your choice.
    Counselling, individually and together may help--I would suggest a Christian counsellor because they seem more spiritually oriented, but that's your choice.
    I wish I had a concrete answer for you.
    Take care and keep posting; this forum has MANY kind-hearted people who honestly try to help( not just e-mail for the sake of talking).
    Bye for now

Comment

In laws can be a source of tension in a family unit ... especially if they enforce their will.

Seems your husband needs to grow up and remember that you and your husband promised to be ONE with one another under Gods eyes ... parents not included.

You can try to force your husband to see your way (which may drive him away) or continue to give him space in the hope he sees the light. (Men typically seem to come around easier than women do in relationships ... )

When it comes to crossroads ... you can either go left or right. Which either way you take, remember, no going back ... your husband has to know this. Consider yourself luck that the equation is not complicated by having children in it ...

It's a difficult situation to be in, that is why God gave you the power of 'choice' ... you can continue to live that life or create another that will make you happy ... you choose.

Hubby
      Last edited by Jeff; 01-09-2006, 10:51 AM.

Comment

dealing with emotions over divorce

God Knows the Truth/Hubby

Thanks for your quick reply! Your feedback and your advice was a great help 2 me. It helps 2 have someone there u can talk 2, who listens and understands what u r going through and can offer u some support and comfort in this hard time in your life.

God knows the truth, to answer your suggestion about counseling, i did think about that and even suggested to my husband on more than one occasion about trying out some relationship/marriage counseling and see how it works for us. But, he right out refused even without giving it another thought..claiming that he does not believe in the institution, that a third party can help us in sorting out our problems/issues, but rather we should be able 2 do that on our own! What hope can one have on achieving anything with an attitude like his? How does one work around it? I told him that if what he says was true, and that was the case, then why haven't we been able 2 resolve this amongst ourselves till now? What is the harm in having an open mind and trying out all the resources available 2 u before giving up and believing that there is no way 2 work it out? Unless of course the intention is missing 2 put in the work 2 achieve the desired results!

I mean tell me if i am wrong in thinking this way, that if u truly love someone as u claim u do, u r willing 2 do anything possible in your power 2 be able 2 be with that person!? Going through this whole experience makes me think that does he truly love me or ever did in our 4 1/2 yr relationship, including one year of marriage? And if so, why is he acting the way he is now? I wish i had known before that it could be a possibility that he would abandon me and our marriage over his parents! I mean his parents have mistreated me a lot by passing sarcastic comments and let downs over the course of about 8 -9 months since our marriage with me living with them in their house. And my husband has been aware of that besides me telling him and also since he has been there himself at times 2 see and hear first hand how they treat me. And he would still never speak up and take my side even then! Instead he would get mad at me and tell me that it must have been something i did wrong, and that his parents can never be wrong and do no wrong..or he would just give me the silent treatment!

Please reply back 2 me with what u think about the situation. It would be a great help 2 be able 2 talk 2 u guys about my situation and receive your further feedbacks. Your previous feedbacks helped in providing me with valuable insights..thanks 2 both of u!

Sincerely,

In-Law Trouble

Comment

You're very welcome. Put it this way I had 1 mama's boy in my life and it was one too many.
          Your husband is a weak person and very disrespectful to you. If you choose to stay with him you better grow another layer of skin.. you'll need thick skin to survive it all.
          Does your husband have no pride, in regards to blaming you and 'siding' with his parents?Doesn't sound like he wants to put effort into your marriage, that's his loss 'cause you can move on and enjoy your life, while he basks in the atmosphere of parental control--your choice.
          My idea of a man is a self assured, decent, 'take care -of- business- kinda' guy, despite the fact that I seem to attract 'mommy boys' or 'WANNA-BE-take-care-of-business-kinda-guy! ha. Know any single REAL men?? ha

Comment

Real men

Originally posted by god knows the truth
            Know any single REAL men?? ha
            Uh, yeah ... hello!

Hubby

Comment

What is the guy perspective?

Hubby,

What r your thoughts on reading my story? I was wondering if u could shed some light through a guy's perspective on it, concerning my husband and his behavior! Thanks.

In-Law Trouble

Comment

Inlawtrouble,

I read your post. I am not surprised by the meddling of the parents as you were living in their household.

As far as your husband goes and you, why haven't you taken an effort to secure your own residence. I am sure if both of you were working, you could secure an apartment and would also take care of a lot of problems.

A young couple needs their own privacy and an opportunity to develop their own relationship. Living with his mom and Dad will not provide an opportunity for you to foster a relationship with your husband.

Did you not talk about your future plans as husband and wife and where you would live.

You have a few good points though as your husband should be standing up to his parents for meddling into your lives.

You should speak to your husband and if he ignores your concerns you have raised, you have no other option that what you have mentioned. Sometimes a separation will help him see your views.

Comment

Hubby,

I love your modesty HA!

Comment

Husbands behaviors

In-Law Trouble,

Let me start by saying that fundamentally, men and women are different. They are different in their communication and their needs to a fullfilling life.

Oh God, here goes I'm sensing that your husband hears you BUT does not really fully comprehend the severity of the situation. You HAVE to stand your ground, show him through your ACTIONS that you mean business.

Seperation can be a good thing if space is what is needed, however, the real source of the problem are the parents, their meddling and your husbands inability to see the situation for what is really is and is doing. You can't blame him thought, we are all creatures of habit and this is precisely what is happening, he is acting out of habit and has had the time, a lifetime really to adjust to the behaviors and expectations of his parents. You have not. This is where the friction comes in.

You do have one thing going for you. You have identified WHAT the problem is, now the question is, HOW do you go about (through your actions) finding an amicable solution. You cant change the parents, you cant change your husband, however, you can change yourself and your reaction to the situation. Logicalvelocity's suggestions are sound as always -- s/he MUST be a lawyers assistant or something!

There is ALWAYS a solution to any problem, the trick is to focus on a solution as opposed to the problem.

If you are living in seperate households, start off by asking your husband to come over to your place, watch some movies, have him stay the night, a good back rub, some uh-hum ... you know, show him just how much fun it can be having your own pad and privacy.

I guess the BEST advice I can give you is to LIVE your life NOW ... with or without him. Let him see how much fun you are having and chances are ... he may join you. I don't wish to stereotype, sometimes, well, guys can be a little slow in the relationship department until some tramatic events occurs to wake them up!

Blessing to you and your husband on working this out.

Hubby

Comment

Modesty

Originally posted by god knows the truth
                      Hubby,

I love your modesty HA!
                      God knows the truth,

If women knew just how modest I was ... they'd marry me!

Hubby

Comment

regarding living with the in-laws

Logicalvelocity,

Thanks for your feedback! Well, 2 answer your question about moving out and having our own place. Potentially we could do that, as in my husband is financially sound 2 be able 2 afford an apartment, we could live off his current income pretty comfortably. Finance is not the issue from what my understanding concerning the issue of moving out. But i could be wrong..maybe there is something i do not know, that he is not telling me!?

Secondly, i agree with u and also told my husband the same many times about what u said regarding being on our own would be best to foster and build our relationship, without any outside influences that have an adverse affect on our primary relationship with each other as a couple! But sadly, my husband feels that he cannot give up his life with his parents for living with me, he says he cannot give up one for the other. He says the only way of making it work is that, i give it another chance living in the same house as his parents and see if things r different/better this time around. He says he will give me his support, unlike previously and that his parents and him have learnt a lot over the time we have been separated and will make a conscious effort trying 2 make it work this time around.

I wish i could believe him and his parents, but the fact of the matter is that he made similar promises 2 me last 2 last year when i told him i was having 2nd thoughts about going ahead with the wedding. Because of the way his father is, and that he, as in my husband, fiance at the time is not at all supportive of me when it comes 2 certain issues with his parents even before the marriage, so only god knows what will happen afterwards. I told him i couldn't live with someone with his dad's personality. He is a very hyper kind of depressed person. He takes a daily dose of 100 mg of Zoloft (an anti-depressant) 2 keep him in a balanced happy state of mind. His emotions r all over the place most of the time. He is very unpredictable, one min he could be talking and acting normal, the very next min he could be having suicidal thoughts or thoughts that what if he ends up dying soon..i guess he has that fear since he had a heart attack years ago! Anyhow, i hope u get the picture of what i am trying 2 say here.

Hope 2 get some feedback from u on what u think about the situation. Thanks!

In-Law Trouble

Comment

Inlawtrouble,

I don't think your husband understands the concept of marriage at all.
                          A newlywed couple need their space.

May I ask how old he is. When a person moves out of their parent's home, they do not sever the relationship with their respective parents.

I think his parents fail highly for not providing any encouragement to your husband for him to be out on his own and to make a life independently of them.

To me they treat him somewhat as a child but also do not allow him to grow up and become an adult. Some definite control issues.

Comment

regarding husband's behavior and our relationship

Hubby,

Thanks for your feedback! U seem 2 have a pretty accurate take on the whole situation. I could further benefit 2 hear your insight in regard 2 my situation with my husband.

I don't know what 2 think at this point regarding where my husband is coming from and what he does or doesn't feels for me at this point in time. Based on his actions i am also led 2 believe as u pointed out 2 in your previous post, that either he doesn't really fully comprehend the severity of the situation, he does not believe that i will go ahead with the divorce as my last course of alternative, when all else seems 2 have failed 2 save the marriage! Or, that he actually is fully sound and aware of the situation at hand here, and it is a conscious choice that he is making, even though foolishly and hastily deciding 2 throw away our future together!

And if the latter is what is true, i am beginning 2 wonder, did i even know this man at all that I have been with for a span of 4 ½ yr till date and what r the workings of his mind!? Or instead, all along he has just been playing me for a fool..painting me this picture of a guy that he knew that i would have wanted 2 be with, instead of the real him, that or, was i 2 blind 2 see the truth for what it really was??

He came down once since we have been separated, to visit me for the weekend about 3 months ago now, back in Oct. And we did have an opportunity 2 be able 2 spend some one on one alone time together, and talk at length about the whole situation. Initially it seemed as if some progress had been made based on what he was telling me, that he finally realized and was able 2 see how he had a big role in leading the situation 2 where it is currently in the present, by failing/neglecting 2 address the issues over the course of many months that eventually led 2 the big fallout!

He said, he would be more supportive of me and speak up if and when some issue were 2 come up and not ignore it so the situation is tackled in the earlier stages rather than it developing into something big! He also suggested that let's give it 1-2 months and try 2 work it out living with the in-laws and if we mutually find that it is just not workable, then only would he consider 2 move out an live on our own. But, at the same time he was telling me that, how can i trust that u won't end up leaving me and going away if we ever run into some issues when we r living on our own? I personally found those remarks 2 be rather hurtful, since he was basically implying that he did not have that much trust in me! To, which i fought back with..when did i ever give u a reason 2 feel/think that way in all the months that we lived together under one roof? Did i ever leave and abandon u, when things got rough between us or did i always stick it out and tried 2 work through the problem? To this, he did not have a reply. So, i have 2 wonder if he was just saying this 2 use as an excuse not 2 move out..or that was based on something his parents had planted in his head against me?

As it later turned out, he started forcing the issue on me, 2 go back with him the very next day without as much as any discussion, indication/agreement with me before hand! And he wouldn't take no for an answer. I told him i needed some time 2 think about it before i could take that step of going back 2 the in-law's house, if that could even be a possibility for me at this time!? In my gut, i still believed that moving out and getting our own place would work out as a much better option for us in the present time. I thought it was a reasonable request considering all the emotional turmoil i had gone through at my in-law's expense!

I wasn't sure if i believed him at his word, claiming that it will be different this time around. I had 2 see it 2 believe it, and i had little hope left based on how he didn't honor his previous promises 2 me that he made at the time of the marriage! I wasn't ready and i don't think i will want 2 ever put myself at my in-law's mercy, and turn my life into a living hell without as much as thinking it through before, what i am getting into! I did not and could not afford 2 repeat 2 make the same mistake twice! And so we parted on not the greatest of terms.

Sorry this ended up being longer than i intended..but i hope it provides u with a better understanding of the situation! Looking forward 2 hearing back from u soon!!

Sincerely,

In-Law Trouble

Comment

what makes up a "mama's boy"?

God knows the truth,

Hey! Sorry for the late reply! Based on your experience what do u think makes up, a "mama's boy"? And what signs should one look out for 2 avoid getting involved with one and then having 2 pay BIG time later? Thanks!!

In-Law Trouble

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X