X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding witnesses to signatures

I'm unsure which forum to post this in.

I had a document drawn up (by a lawyer) today for my husband and I to both sign. Who can witness our signatures? Can the person be related? I was hoping to just get my brother or nephew, and his wife, to be the witnesses.

I don't really know people that live in our area..... So - if relatives aren't allowed to witness, can we just take the document up to the neighborhood pub (or coffee shop) and get a couple people there to witness?

Thanks.

It is best to have 2 witness 's to sign and make sure it is dated with their address and telephone number.

I don't think matters who the witness's are. ie: related to you,

as long as each witness observe the other witness and the party's to sign at all the same time. I believe the witness's should be over the age of majority.

Comment

^^^^ Exactly.

Just make sure to have their addresses and telephone numbers.

Comment

LV is right re the witnesses bring related to you. This does not matter.

However, you don't all have to sign at the same time. Party A and his/her witness could sign two agreements, and then send both signed agreements to Party B for signing before his/her own witness. Once this is done, Party B would need to send an original back to Party A. That way, at the end of the day, both parties have two original fully executed agreements.

It is legal to have one person witness two signatures, but you could always run into accusations of coercion or duress in the future. It is always much safer to go with one witness per party.

Lindsay

Comment

Thanks Lindsay

This forum is awesome.

LV

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X