This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Ex's boyfriend and his kids are moving in

My Ex wife's boyfriend and his kids are moving in to her new place with my kids.
    Does this mean my ex is entitled to less money from me?

Thanks!

Not necessarily. Your kids are just that, yours, and you should continue to be a parent to them physically, emotionally and financially. You are their father, not the boyfriend.
    She has a right to a life, just as you do. Just because she moves forward with hers with a new person who can help provide for your children does not mean that you should assume that eases your responsibility as a parent.
    Your children should be first and foremost, not your wallet.

Comment

If your paying spousal support then maybe less would be appropriate, but good luck trying.

Comment

why should it?? If you moved a girlfriend in would you expect to pay more support for the kids with your ex wife??

Comment

Very common question and "first thought" from many cs paying parents. The money isn't for the "household"... it's for the kids. Doesn't matter if the other parent lives in a mansion and travels the world and has a large discretionary income... You still have to pay the amount that your income "allows" (I say that with tongue in cheek) you to pay. Child support is based on YOUR income, not the other parents'... Unless, of course, you file for undue hardship, which is, of course, very difficult to prove especially if it were to come on the heels of her moving in with a new partner.

Think of it this way- the children will always have expenses, right? The "idea" is that the money will always be used for the children. If she doesn't need the money for day-to-day expenses right now, it can be invested in RESPs or saved for a downpayment on a house when they grow up or their exchange trip to Italy when they are 18. That may or may not be likely, but is possible.

Bottom line is that your ex isn't "entitled" to any money from you (if it's CS, not SS) The money is for the CHILDREN. It's not for her.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X