This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Law Separation: He Won't Move Out

I am a divorced mother of 2, ages 13 and 15. We have lived together for 8 years, renting a home. I pay the majority of the bills and living expenses. He pays me in cash but not enough. I signed the lease, he is listed with my children and living here. My children and I are listed on his benefits. He does not name our home as his residence on income tax (he uses an address up north for cheaper car insurance). He often yells to get his way, calls me names, swears, and sometimes swears at my children. He will sometimes tell my children lies about me to undermine me. I want to remain in the home. I know he would never be able to afford it if I move out. I asked him to move out at the end of March 2012. He yelled at my 13 year old at the time and in response my son called 911. CAS is involved now which I don't mind. I told the worker my position, but she cannot offer legal help. She advises I avoid conflict until I can resolve this. He refuses to move out. I am actively searching for a place to live but unable to find anything suitable within the school boundaries. Meanwhile I have deleted his friends from Facebook, I do not go anywhere with him, and I engage in little conversation with him. Since that time he does not go anywhere. He used to go out frequently. Instead he sits and watches TV. and looks for ways to seek conflict. I am doing my best to avoid that and to get along until I can figure out how to get him out or until I find a new place. Any conversation ends with him yelling at me. Police have been called in the past due to his drinking and belligerent attitude. Last week I called 911 due to his screaming and yelling in my face. Police sided with him said there was nothing they could do. He states he wants $2,000 to move out, but he will not sign any agreement if I give it to him. I prefer not to give him money to move out because I would have to cash in some RRSP’s or borrow it. In fact, owes me money. At this point, however, I am willing to give it to him if he signs an agreement to leave. I then researched and discovered that I may have the ability to seek "exclusive possession of the matrimonial home" since I am the one with the 2 children, I sign the lease, and there is some emotional abuse (swearing, yelling). What are my legal rights? What steps can I take to get him to move out?<O</O<O</O

So he is not the Dad of your children? or is he? sorry cant see that from the post...but it is not a mat home because you lease/rent it.I think if you are on the lease and he is not, call the landlord and have the locks changed, pack up his stuff and tell him to come and get it. Ask the police to witness this and take inventory, of what he takes etc...(trust me on this I got bit in the ass for trusting ex to take what was his)....but most of all make sure the kids aren't home when all this goes down as it sounds he is a wee bit angry....and have a friend there with you....

Comment

I don't believe you can just kick him out without proper notice... whether he is on the lease or not, he has been living there for 8 years. You may not have grounds to evict him, your landlord may have to do that...

Cynthia is right however, it is not the mat home and won't be treated like one.

Comment

So maybe landlord tenant act??? I think I would start there seekinghelp, and if you have a good relationship with your landlord perhaps they can help. There is a process that they have to follow to evict/get personal belongings out. But then again you are not being evicted the guy living with you is...in a sense. I think if your name is on the lease you are personally responsible for the payment of rent, he is listed as a person living there, so it should be up to you who lives there. Meaning if you left with your children and he couldn't afford the rent you would still be on the hook cause it is your lease, and it is you who is bound by that contract......

Comment

get a copy of the address he uses for car insurance, pack his stuff up and tell him to get out. If he says he lives with you then show the police the proof of what he uses for insurance and tell them that he is living there and not welcome at your place anymore. Like to see him explain to the police about that.

You pay the rent etc and you and your kids deserve to live in peace.

He is committing insurance fraud so you could report him for that.

Comment

Response

Thank-you for the responses. I have researched and discovered that I think he is considered to be a "Licensee" because he rents from me and shares the space with me. If so, he has "little legal protection: and can be evicted with notice" because he pays rent. The notice is usually the same period as our rental agreement, which is one month. I told him last month that I want him out by the end of June. I read that I may need to go to Small Claims Court and I may need to compensate him. I just need to be clear if this is a matter for Small Claims court or Family Court because we were Common Law. I could claim he doesn't live here since he has nothing to show he is. I've already approached him about this He said he will get affidavits from friends to say oterwise I need to be careful about lying because my job would be at risk if I have a criminal charge against me (for lying). I will consider reporting his fraud and using this as leverage. I need to consult with a lawyer at this point.

Comment

Keep things above board, don't stoop to lying to get him out. It'll just come back to bite you in the ass.

You may want to double check with a lawyer on what your/his rights are in regards to your living space, I don't believe it's as simple as asking him to leave. You can call the upper canada law society for a half hour consult and get your questions answered.

Comment

SeekingHelp: Affidavits from "friends" are basically useless. They are biased and not given much attention. Same with most affidavits from relatives. Definitely consult with a lawyer and **do not** keep him abreast of what steps you are taking. Put your best poker face on and get as much useful legal information as you can. Try and speak to a lawyer who specializes in Family Law and Real Estate Law. Best of Luck,

Comment

ask the landlord what your options are. That would be the cheapest way first. You dont need a real estate lawyer as you do not own the home, you are just renting.

Comment

It's still a Family Law issue as the c/l relationship was 8 yrs in duration. Who knows what he will spring on her. Are there shared debts, ie: credit cards,

Just thought if OP is seeing a lawyer - it should be one that is familiar with tenancies as well. It's not that easy to get someone out, if they want to dig in their heels and it sounds like this guy is trouble, with more in store.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
                      SeekingHelp: Affidavits from "friends" are basically useless. They are biased and not given much attention. Same with most affidavits from relatives. Definitely consult with a lawyer and **do not** keep him abreast of what steps you are taking. Put your best poker face on and get as much useful legal information as you can. Try and speak to a lawyer who specializes in Family Law and Real Estate Law. Best of Luck,
                      I can't stress enough how useless affidavits from "friends" are. A friend doesn't write an affidavit attacking someone. If you do want to see yourself at trial really fast in the next trial sitting I highly recommend getting "friends" to write horrible and atrocious things like they won't let their children near the other parent. Judges just LOVE to read these affidavits and then lambaste the negative advocate solicitor who actually submits this crap.

Judges also really LOVE it when grandparents write attack affidavits of the other parent too. The also love to call the grand-"parents" out in court and have everyone in the room stair at them as they lecture their conduct and stupidity.

Good Luck!
                      Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X