This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dicatating Religion for children

Hi, my ex husband and I are down to the crunch and about to sign the separation agreement. One of the major issues will be the religious beliefs of our daughter. She resides primarily with me and we have joint custody.

So here goes.
    1. He is Jewish and I converted 6 years ago when we got married. We never participated in much more than celebrating 4-5 holidays a year and maybe we'd go to Synagouge once a year, if. Other than that he is not a very religious person.

2. We have a daughter together who is 3 and I have no problems with her being raised jewish by him however I will likely not continue with the religion, and would like to go back to my family roots and celebrate christian holidays again.

Now the question is, can he restrict her from being exposed to and spending christian holidays with me? He wants her to be raised in the Jewish Faith and I'm not against this in any way and he has already asked to spend the more important holidays with her. I know he can't stop me from being whatever I am however I do not want there to be problems with regards to her religion. It's a very touchy issue I know.

Is there anything I can put in the agreement?

You cannot be restricted from exposing her to your religion any more than you can stop him.

You don't have to put your rights in the agreement, they exist anyway, BUT given that you feel it may be an issue, best to deal with it explicitly now and put it in the agreement.

I suppose something like 'each parent is free to discuss and share their religious views and traditions with daughter and will not denigrate the religious views or traditions of the other parent. Given that the parents have different religious backgrounds, the child shall be exposed to each at the discretion of each parent and not to the exclusion of the other parents religion or religious views'

Comment

Thanks that helps and I didn't think he had a case especially if I don't stand in the way of him exercising his religious beliefs with her.

I don't want to point it out in the separation agreement any more than it has to be or it will draw it out further however I also don't want to be dragged to court over it. I'll support my daughter in whatever she decides to be when she's older. Given she's 3 she can't make that decision yet so it is up to the parents to do so.

Since he has her on jewish holidays can I get them on Christian ones given it's not something he will ever celebrate? Or that's still something that needs to be split equally?

A.

Comment

well if he wants her on the Jewish holidays then you should be allowed to have her for the holidays you want.

it is nice that she will be exposed to both and who knows in the end she may even decide that religion is not for her.

Comment

So ture...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X