Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:29 PM

Stillbreathing is on a distinguished road
Default What happens to marital assets if one spouse dies?

If you are separated with not a single issue resolved with no separation agreement and no settlement agreement does the surving spouse automatically get all the marital assets including those in the other spouse’s name?
Old 01-14-2018, 11:47 PM

denbigh is on a distinguished road

It depends on what your will says, and I think there are some things that automatically by law that go to the spouse, like pensions, and maybe matrimonial home. I know divorce nulls a will, but I dont think separation does. I could be wrong about all of the above.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:48 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillbreathing View Post
If you are separated with not a single issue resolved with no separation agreement and no settlement agreement does the surving spouse automatically get all the marital assets including those in the other spouse’s name?
I think so, unless the person had a will that specified that non-joint items should go to other people. Though you can and should immediately change your beneficiary on any life insurance policy or pension benefit, etc.