Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:08 PM

v3ktors is on a distinguished road
Default Support for child away for post-secondary education

Just looking for some feedback from anyone with experience with how child support is (typically) calculated for children away for post-secondary education. I am aware that in many/most cases, the amount of child support is reduced (and rightfully so) because at-home expenses are reduced. From what I have read, a standard application would be a reduction in the amount of the table amount to 4/12 (representing the 4 months that the child will be home during the summer). Many times this amount is spread over the entire year to make it easier for FRO/etc. to calculate a monthly amount. My question is whether the 4/12 amount is typical (or is it more case-by-case), and why isn't Christmas break/reading weeks/etc. not included in the calculation? I'm estimating that the amount should be about 22 weeks of the year (so 22/52). I don't want to come across the nickel and diming, because I'm in a situation where my wife will receive child support and I will (very soon) pay child support for a child in post-secondary education...I'm just curious and would like child support calculated appropriately.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:40 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Depending on your income and hers, cs is paid four months of the year. If she makes significantly less there may be an argument for more but its unlikely.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:21 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Depending on your income and hers, cs is paid four months of the year. If she makes significantly less there may be an argument for more but its unlikely.
I work in a firm and have actually never seen the above put into practice.

It appears to be more on an individual basis, and I think it varies dependent upon incomes, OSAP entitlements, if the child has an ability to contribute to their education fund, and how the s7 expenses are shared, etc. etc.

In my instance, CS was reduced by 1/3 for basic CS, for the months of Sept -April. But the kidlet was also home every weekend and every long weekend, holiday, etc. Full CS for the summer months.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:31 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdreamy View Post
In my instance, CS was reduced by 1/3 for basic CS, for the months of Sept -April. But the kidlet was also home every weekend and every long weekend, holiday, etc. Full CS for the summer months.

BUT, are these agreements, mediated settlements or court orders and what is the income difference?

I posed this question to my partners lawyer due to the arguments the ex was making in her motion. Their agreement says no support while away at school and her income is double, sometimes triple, my partners. He also pays his share of rent for four summer months as kid lives in an apartment at school. Lawyer has argued both sides in Ontario and Alberta and has seen the results of no cs during school year. He said only in extreme cases of income disparities has a judge ordered a reduced monthly cs. If its in the agreement then its because the parties agreed to it.

Im not saying its law, Im simply saying this is what the lawyer said in my partners case. The income and existing agreement could be factors in this.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:10 AM

v3ktors is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses so far. It sounds like there is considerable flexibility in how CS is applied for a child away at post-secondary, and maybe that's appropriate. For a child that is living away but near to home, they may be coming home every weekend, and so CS should probably be higher than for a child further away from home and only able to come home maybe for the holidays and summer. I'm not sure what someone's income has to do with anything though (except for s7 expenses). If a child is away at school, there will be a reduction in some living expenses at their home (food, water, sewer). Other expenses, like heat, hydro, mortgage/rent, etc. probably won't change much with an empty room. So it makes sense that CS is reduced (depending on the amount that the child will be home during the year), with increased s7 expenses. Just my attempt at trying to apply some logic...though that could be my mistake here