New with question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New with question

Hi! Brief history . Separated from my wife June 12th 2016. Filed for simple divorce May 12th 2017, the court clerk said I had to wait till I was one year separated(June 12th 2017) before I could serve my wife with divorce papers, is this correct?

I've had someone else tell me(online divorce lawyer) I can serve my wife the papers now either by a process server or have a friend mail the papers to her. That I don't have to wait till June 12th.

Who is right ? I just want it to be over with.

Then once I get either the affidavit of service or acknowledgement of service. I can file the papers at the courts come June 12th 2017.

Thanks for your help
    Matt

I think you can have everything argued and agreed and ready, but it won't be effective until the one year. Unless infidelity is involved.

Comment

Thank you Rioe.
      There are no children involved or home.
      I will get the paperwork sent to me my wife this week, hopefully she will sign( she already agreed to)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X