• opposing lawyer wants to adjourn trial

Hi everyone,
    Started legal proceedings early 2013
    -corally relief divorce ordered nov 2014
    -iterim eow parenting order
    -respondent has never been available for questioning
    -respondent has adjourned 9 times for special chambers/morning chambers
    -last special chambers the judge sent (my) case for trial
    -respondent did not accept any of our proposed court/trial dates for early 2015 therefor the only dates available for a trial were in december 2015 nearly 1 year from the last sp. chambers case.
    -i have sent numerous i think 9 ots respondent hasn't sent one nor accepted any of mine.
    Now opposing counsel wants to adjourn the dec 2015
    Can someone explain why do they want to adjourn?
    And furthermore why opposing counsel wants to question me for a second time?
    How does anyone get on in there life with this?
    Side note- opposing counsel was told they would need to take the necc steps to get the trial adjourned. Anyone with insight as to whether that assists my case?
    case for trial is ss/ equalization parenting is not an issue as respondent is happy to have eow or in his case whenever he occassionally feels like parenting.
    Mind you we only have an interim order.

What province is this taking place in? I seem to recall you moving to Alberta.

Comment

Hi Arabian! Yes im in the province that floats this country! J/k yes alberta!!

Comment

You have to request a "case management judge" - that way you won't get bounced from judge to judge.

No fun for you for sure. Before we got case management my ex was getting away with all sorts of things (represented by counsel as well as a stint as self-represented).

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...95039771,d.aWw

Google "case management Alberta Justice" - there are many articles about the process.

Be warned, however, that you may get a shit judge and you are pretty much stuck with them.
        Last edited by arabian; 06-09-2015, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks Arabian, thanks for that i forgot to include in my post that the judge assigned herself as the case management judge for my case, so is that a good thing? Yes, i can totally related to being bounced from judge to judge however that has stopped now. The case management judge has signed off as our trial judge, we will have a different judge for trial.

Comment

I pray for you that you got a good judge. I wasn't so lucky. PM me the name and perhaps I went before her at one time. We had great 12 judges and the case management one we have now is certainly not something to get excited about. In fact he has botched things up IMO and we will be back to court again sometime again this year perhaps. I've only taken my ex to court 2 times - 1 x for file of divorce and the other time to demand financial disclosure. It was my ex's g/f who initiated all the other 10 times. Sheesh!

Comment

My lawyer instructed his lawyer to go about all the nexcessary steps to request an adjournment, we are in court for a tmc(?) this week,
              I believe it isnt always easy to get an adjournment so im wondering what the outcome will be as my lawyer will be explaining to the judge the length/delays of this case that have occured to get it this far..?!?

Comment

What is their reason for wanting to adjourn for Dec 2015, 6 months in advance??

Comment

Respondent stopped using this lawyer and self repped for special chambers.
                  We rec'd notice 2 weeks ago that respondent re-hired his lawyer.
                  Lawyer claims not enough time to prepare for trial as they just came on the case that was the reason given to me for an adjournment.
                  If I contest the adjournment I don't know if dec trial will still proceed.

Comment

6 months is not enough time to prepare?

If you don't contest the adjournment, it definitely won't proceed. If you do, you have a better chance of it going forward, no?

Comment

If i contest though doesn't that give the judge the appearance that im difficult?
                      I think even if i contest it the adjournment will be granted due to the opposing lawyer's reason.
                      Kripes the ridiculous adjournments i have heard over the past 2 years from this lawyer, One was that the lawyer requested an adjournment b/c they had no access to a vehicle!!!

i guess im just really trying to wrap my head around the idea that the ex wants to adjourn and not move forward. i don't understand the gain in an adjournment?!

Comment

Originally posted by ringettteplayer View Post
                        i guess im just really trying to wrap my head around the idea that the ex wants to adjourn and not move forward. i don't understand the gain in an adjournment?!
                        A) it annoys you. Exes love to be annoying. They blame you for everything and it's petty vengeance for them to frustrate you.

B) it puts off an irritation. Exes don't want to deal with you, they want to bury their head in the sand and forget you exist.

These are not mutually exclusive, even though they might seem like it. That one action accomplishes both goals is a bonus!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X