New law for canine friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New law for canine friends

Some members of our society just lack common sense. Every year the SPCA has to put down animals who have suffered frozen paws because of neglect by their owners. Dehydration is another problem, as water bowls are frozen solid.

When it gets below freezing, for God's sake bring them inside.

New Mississauga dog law in effect | Metro

Sad to think that we even need laws like this ... some people are simply heartless/clueless! At least a bum living on the streets can go for a cup of coffee to warm up. Chained pets don't have that option.

Hopefully more areas will follow suit. I live in a small town and a neighbour two houses down from us has a dog that is outside 24/7. I can let my dogs out at 2am and their dog barks. Cold nights, rainy days, smouldering summers, it doesn't matter this dog is outside. I have spoken to our local animal control officer and she stated that because the dog has shelter and food/water there is nothing they can do, despite the dog being tied 24/7... its sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
      Hopefully more areas will follow suit. I live in a small town and a neighbour two houses down from us has a dog that is outside 24/7. I can let my dogs out at 2am and their dog barks. Cold nights, rainy days, smouldering summers, it doesn't matter this dog is outside. I have spoken to our local animal control officer and she stated that because the dog has shelter and food/water there is nothing they can do, despite the dog being tied 24/7... its sad.
      You did the right thing Berner_Faith, if only more people would speak up. I'm in Quebec and our animal protection laws are very strict. More and more "puppy-mills" where dogs and cats are over-bred for fast sales to pet shops are getting busted as people denounce them. The living conditions that some of these animals have to endure is appalling ...

Hats off to those who adopt shelter animals or go to reputable (me lol) breeders - it's the best way to keep the pet population at a reasonable level and you will be certain of the animal's good health.
      There's nothing sadder than for a child to lose a cherished friend when it could have been avoided with proper inoculations.

Pets can make nice Christmas gifts, just make sure the child is old enough to care for it.

Comment

Quebec also has to deal with it's no-pet law, which is just dreadful. I was in Montreal this summer just past the July 1 move date to hang at a girlfriend's house (dog groomer) for a girls' weekend, and was horrified to hear of the massive #'s of pet abandonment.

Janibel - our oldest dog here was a Christmas gift to a senior gone wrong, that we rescued. She is the best dog I have ever had! Can't imagine what the thought process is behind "gifting" a dog.
        Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
          Quebec also has to deal with it's no-pet law, which is just dreadful. I was in Montreal this summer just past the July 1 move date to hang at a girlfriend's house (dog groomer) for a girls' weekend, and was horrified to hear of the massive #'s of pet abandonment.

Janibel - our oldest dog here was a Christmas gift to a senior gone wrong, that we rescued. She is the best dog I have ever had! Can't imagine what the thought process is behind "gifting" a dog.
          We have the same problem up where I live (it's a touristy place). People give kittens to the children for the summer. Around labor day they close up the chalets and leave the pets to fend for themselves.

I can understand that for some people finding a townhouse for the family is more important than keeping animals - though how hard is it to find a new home for the pets before moving away?

As for Christmas gifts, you are right - the pet has to be wanted or the surprise can turn into a nightmare.

Comment

There is a reason we currently house 7 cats (4 are kittens) we started off with two cats but the rest came to us as strays. The sad part is 4 of them were found where I work. I can't say for sure it was our people that abandoned them or if they just showed up because of the amount of food available but it never fails every year we find at least 1-2 litters of kittens.

Some think I am crazy but how does one leave the poor animals out there to suffer?

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
              There is a reason we currently house 7 cats (4 are kittens) we started off with two cats but the rest came to us as strays. The sad part is 4 of them were found where I work. I can't say for sure it was our people that abandoned them or if they just showed up because of the amount of food available but it never fails every year we find at least 1-2 litters of kittens.

Some think I am crazy but how does one leave the poor animals out there to suffer?
              There's a lot of us crazies out there . When one of my dogs is adopted, he/she comes with a 'cat tolerant' guarantee lol. Dogs and cats can get along fine if they are introduced to each other in a safe environment.

If more owners would have their pets spayed or neutured we would not have this ridiculous amount of strays to find homes for. As parents, we are teaching our children through our example, to have empathy for others by caring for abandoned animals.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X