This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandparents going through the separation and custody battle

Hi. I have been reading posts and following some of the threads for the past 6 months. I am a grandmother " Nana" to boy 18 mths. I have helped my daughter deal with all the drama and stress of a failed relationship. The main concern must be the child and I believe both parents need to make an effort to ensure their child does not suffer. Easier said then done I know. This forum has been a great source of information and also has given us many different perspectiveson how we need to deal with our personal situation.

Welcome to the forum, let us know how we can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachnana View Post
      Hi. I have been reading posts and following some of the threads for the past 6 months. I am a grandmother " Nana" to boy 18 mths. I have helped my daughter deal with all the drama and stress of a failed relationship. The main concern must be the child and I believe both parents need to make an effort to ensure their child does not suffer. Easier said then done I know. This forum has been a great source of information and also has given us many different perspectiveson how we need to deal with our personal situation.
      My advice to you as a "grandparent" is the following:

1. Read the following and the document that the observation is made on:

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...parents-13719/

2. You are not a party to the case and any "evidence" you present will automatically be considered "biased" by the courts to be aligned to your daughter's position.

3. Do not character assassinate the other parent.

4. Do not conduct yourself in such a manner as this previous infamous "grandparent":

Read the *whole* thread:

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...isputes-10638/

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...-access-11615/

5. At most, if your daughter needs help, provide the retainer for the lawyer that will represent her and stay out of the matter. Let your daughter be an adult and do not try to "control" the situation.

6. Know your role as a "grandparent" and that you are not the parent of this child.

7. Do not attempt to remove the child from the other parent in contravention of the law and the family law rules, assist in denying the other parent access and interfere in custodial decisions about the child in question.

8. Recommend to your daughter that you are NOT a mental health professional and she should seek therapeutic intervention to help her with her emotional issues and to talk to her doctor about any health concerns (physical and mental) related to the process of seperation.

Good Luck!
      Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X