• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spousal support

I want to know what you think my outcome will be;
    married 9 years
    lived together for 3 years before marriage
    I had no children, helped his raise his 12 and 15 year old sons whom he had sole custody
    I quit my job to work for his company to build his business
    I bought into 1/2 of his house.
    I am 52 years old he is 65.

Are you still employed by his business? Is he retired or when does he plan to retire?

Comment

yes i am still employed . He still works there but is getting pension i.e. cpp and old age

Comment

Originally posted by janice020204 View Post
        I quit my job to work for his company to build his business
        I bought into 1/2 of his house.
        I am 52 years old he is 65.
        Liquidate the house and the business that you helped build. Take half of the house, half of the increased value of the business, walk away and never look back.

Comment

So you are still employed? You helping raise his kids means little, as you never gave up your job to raise kids, his kids were teenagers and don't require much assistance.

Please state why you think you are entitled to Spousal Support? What thresholds do you meet? It seems there were no given times that you were out of work, the business is still going and you still have your income. Without more detail, I would say you are not entitled.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
            Liquidate the house and the business that you helped build. Take half of the house, half of the increased value of the business, walk away and never look back.
            Exactly... you are entitled to equalization, not spousal support.

Comment

1. He sold the property the business was in for $2.25 million
              2. He bought a shop in another town 3 hours away and his sons are working there.
              3. the $2.25 is now down to $1 million
              4. I gave up my job to help him, he did not give up anything for me.
              5. How do i keep working for him i his businesss if we are divorced?

Comment

As far as equalization is concerned. he has less now then when we met.

Comment

were you getting paid by his company after you went to work for him? If yes then you did not give up a job, you changed jobs.

It doesnt matter what he had when you met him, all that matters is what he had at the time of separation. If he has lost money over the time of the marriage then thats a non issue.

Comment

He still has a business, I will be out of a job.

Comment

You will only be out of a job if you quit... or get fired...and if he fires you without just cause then you can take him to the labour board... unfortunately family law will not touch on that subject... you are STILL working currently, and you are asking about "what ifs"... since you are still working for his company, you still have your job, therefore you are not suffering.

So he still has a business worth $1 million? I am sure once that gets equalized, you will have more than enough to start over or even retire, no?

Comment

This sure is different information than i got from my free 1/2 consult. She said I was entitled and he would have to keep paying me a salary as well as support. I am seeing another lawyer Monday i will see what he says.

Comment

No I do not get any of the 1,000,000.00. The property was his before we met. The business is worth less than when we met, therefore I GET NOTHING HERE. i WANT SUPPORT BEAUSE I WAS MAKING $50,000.00 A YEAR WHEN WE MET. i GAVE THAT UP TO HELP HIM WITH HIS BUSINESS. tHE BUSINESS DECLINED. hE STILL HAS THE $1,000,000.00

Comment

hE PAID ME $14,000.00 A YEAR.

Comment

HE PUT HIS KIDS THRU UNIVERSITY . HE STILL HAS HIS 41 FOOT BOAT
                              HIS BUSINESS IS LOSING MONEY YET HE STILL PAYS HIS KIDS $30,000.00 EACH PER YEAR PLUS CAR PLUS GAS ++++, hIS INCOME SHOWS HE IS MAKING NO MONEY CAUSE IT IS ALL HIDDEN. HIS T4 is $8,000.00

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X