No announcement yet.

RESP contributions schedule 7 expense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RESP contributions schedule 7 expense?

Are RESP contributions a schedule 7 expense?

I recently opened a RESP for the dependent, on my own, therefore not previously established with the respondent. I know post secondary expenses are covered under schedule 7. But I did not think this applied to or compel RESP contributions?

The respondent will be well into retirement years when post secondary time comes around, if the respondent is even still alive. I am wondering if I can use the respondents age as a reason to request RESP contributions to be made, under schedule 7.

Any opinions?

No its not but if you contribute only then the amounts in the RESP are used for your portion of the expense.

The respondent should have life insurance to cover their portion of the expense for s7 and child support so their portion will be covered in that respect if they arent alive.

Comment

Retirement could affect the proportional splitting of university expenses. You should probably budget for paying a higher proportion that you would now.

Splitting should of course be proportional to historical income, but it isn't.

Comment

I'm really worried any the life insurance as well. I wonder if he is uninsurable due to his age and a risky career. And his estate is insolvent. Looks like I'll be footing all the bills....

Comment

Everyone is insurable, for a cost. It is not uncommon to see clauses in a seperation agreement that cover insurance to secure CS for the children. Failing that, if something were to happen to him and there is no provision for the kids a claim could be made under the Succession Law Reform act for support of a dependant.

Comment

If its in your agreement that he have insurance then he should have it. You are allowed to ask for proof. Added to that, if he dies and has property/money, that would be eligible for you to claim cs against. Hes actually supposed to have it in his will that all outstanding money owing is to go first. You might want to check into both the insurance coverage and his will.

Going after an resp amount under s7 would probably not be worth the money for the lawyer.

You may want to start saving now, expecting the worst and hopefully he may be able to cover his portion.

There are plenty of kids who have two parents (or disappeared divorced parents) who face the struggle to pay for school. Best your kids start saving as early as possible and you all stay on top of grants, scholarships and other opportunities for support too. My father disappeared and we were low income. I paid all my schooling from grants, scholarships and osap. The law was there but getting blood from a stonewas impossible.

Comment

Thank you so much all for your help! This isn't an agreement... He's not being amicable. I'd say wish me luck but I think I know the reality of the situation and what to be expected. Which is fine. It is what it is. But thank you so for your help!

Comment

After a 30 yr marriage and initially being awarded substantial SS I inquired as to insurance and was promptly told that there was nothing stopping me from taking out an insurance policy on my ex as long as I paid for it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X