This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupational Rent

There are often questions around what exactly 'occupational rent' is, when it's applied and what it means for both parties. So I thought I'd start a thread for answers and information around occupational Rent.

OK.....go!

To me occupational rent means just that - one spouse gets use of the investment, in our case our largest and it is paid off, so my ex with her salary at 4 times more than my disability check gets to live and enjoy the house without doing maintenace as she will delay settlement as long as she possibly can. Why would she want to settle? Every month that goes by my disability check doesn't even cover my room. Actually I am some $1,100 short every month and she complains!!

Comment

It's simply an offset with regard to Financial Statements. One party says they are paying mortgages, etc. and are owed for half. Offset is to claim Occupational Rent. Comes into play more I believe where Occupier has exclusive possession.

Comment

LOL... When I was kicked out... she threw a cordless phone at my head. She then is now claiming I owe for mortgages, etc. after changing locks. It's interesting!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X