Finally reached settlement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally reached settlement!

We had our Settlement Conference yesterday and actually settled!

Settled as per OCL recommendations giving the ex medical and leaving me with education and religion. Also equal time sharing.

Some carefully planned tactics bought me some extras, like 1 more week in summer, every single holiday, alternating PD days which always falls on the ex's time. This was done giving by giving up every Christmas eve from 7:00pm until Christmas day at noon. The only other holiday my ex got was almost half of Easter, they did ask for every Thanksgiving Monday but I just stated the Christmas deal does not come with out a price and they gave up on that very quick.

Not sure how that would work in everyone's situation but it works perfect for mine.

Next step get child a passport and off to Disney Land this summer!

Are there any other things I should do after my case has been settled? I think I should at least grab all my documents my lawyer has.

Originally posted by SteelCityDad View Post
    Good stuff. The likelyhood of the order being followed (and eventually improved over time) is dramatically increased when both parents consent to the order.

Settled as per OCL recommendations giving the ex medical and leaving me with education and religion. Also equal time sharing.
    Whoa whoa whoa stop the clock. You were not "left" anything. Here is a little unknown fact for you to ponder regarding the IMPORTANCE of education OVER medical.

(note: This is unless your child has a LTD that requires regular medical attention.)

Education is far more important and delicate to handle as a parent. It also consumers significantly more parental time and knowledge. So, do not ever think you were "left" this. In fact, it is the single most important thing a parent will have to do for their children!

Medical isn't that important. In fact, they don't even recommend children go for yearly "checkups" anymore in most jurisdictions unless they have some long-term medical condition! If your child is healthy (like most) then there will be rarely, if every, any major medical decision to be made. In fact, there are so many professionals involved with children's "major" medical decisions that the parents are often not even making the decision. They are being told what to do by doctors because they are not qualified to make the decision. Sure, it can be a tough decision if you have to make it but, there are so many inputs to it that it isn't a "sole" decision.

Education is quite different. It is something you have to deal with 10 months of the year. It is something the children will participate in and spend most of their time in! They spend more time being educated than they do with their parents. So, this by far is WAY MORE important of a task to be responsible for as a parent.

Lots churns on the decisions regarding a child's education. Especially if they are healthy children who never interact with the medical system!

Some carefully planned tactics bought me some extras, like 1 more week in summer, every single holiday, alternating PD days which always falls on the ex's time. This was done giving by giving up every Christmas eve from 7:00pm until Christmas day at noon. The only other holiday my ex got was almost half of Easter, they did ask for every Thanksgiving Monday but I just stated the Christmas deal does not come with out a price and they gave up on that very quick.
    What is the regular access schedule though?

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

I don't feel I was "left" with education as I really wanted this.

Our current and new access schedule is a two week rotation, week 1 I have D6 from Saturday @3:00pm until Wednesday @3:00 or after school. Week 2 I pick up D6 Sunday @3:00 and have till Wednesday @3:00 or after school. This in turn gives me steady holidays with D6.

We have been using this access schedule since our separation and the Christmas thing was in our court order for the first xmas and really is what I wanted.

If down the road the ex wants to fight for more holidays I have the draft minutes of settlement that has her wanting Thanksgiving but had been scratched out.

During summer we will change to week about with returning to regular access before school starts.

Pretty happy with the outcome here. Have to give credit to my ex for not being able to plan for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
          Congratulations!

Thanks arabian!

Comment

Not sure how that would work in everyone's situation but it works perfect for mine.

Next step get child a passport and off to Disney Land this summer!

Are there any other things I should do after my case has been settled? I think I should at least grab all my documents my lawyer has.
            what can you tell us about your experience with OCL?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't feel I was "left" with education as I really wanted this.
              Good. What you are responsible for is very darn important! It isn't leftovers.

Pretty happy with the outcome here. Have to give credit to my ex for not being able to plan for the future.
              Generally, when things settle out like this they tend to stick. Hopefully the conflict goes down and eventually disappears over the next few years for you and your child/ren.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                Generally, when things settle out like this they tend to stick. Hopefully the conflict goes down and eventually disappears over the next few years for you and your child/ren.
                One could only wish. I will be back in court a year less a day from our settlement.

Main issue is PD days, we already have an established routine and he/she would like to change it.

Comment

One could only wish. I will be back in court a year less a day from our settlement.

Main issue is PD days, we already have an established routine and he/she would like to change it.

About a year less a day ago you wrote:

Some carefully planned tactics bought me some extras, like 1 more week in summer, every single holiday, alternating PD days which always falls on the ex's time.
                  Some tactics backfire I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                    Some tactics backfire I guess?
                    The OP must have missed your multiple reminders on this site to put the details into the agreement for anything up front. You do an excellent job of reminding people to cover all bases, dot all i's, cross all t's but, in the rush to settle so many people miss the little things. Which ends up in conflict city and back to court.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X