This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to let the kids go

I feel so sad. I'm fighting a losing battle for the boys and I just don't know how to let go. I need to get a life, but I'm not done with my old one. I left my husband, not my kids, but i guess it comes hand in hand. I sit here one km away from my 3 year old while a nanny raises him. I don't have custody this week, so I just stew. The ex has his own business so my Right of first Refusal clause doesn't work as he goes until the time limit, comes home, then leaves again.
    I'm getting destroyed over this and realize that until I move on my ex still has what seems to be total control of my life, which are the kids right now. they are so young . I fight in court and be a pain in the ass, but ultimately I don't think it's helping me, I'm on my way out.
    I go get a job and let him and the nanny be that happy family? I just wanted to be a mom to my baby for the next couple years like I was to the other two, but I'm made out to be an ogre just causing grief and I'm starting to think that's true. My 3 year old has bonded to that nanny and when he's with me he calls me her name 60% of the time and the last day with me he said he wants to go home and be with her.
    Ugh. How do I let it go and live with it? I'm SO angry at my ex, there was No reason to take that child from me. He's working anyway, why can't I watch the baby until he gets home? It's what he assured me would happen, but because the nanny doesn't want to be just a maid, I gotta be the one to go.

But I start to rant. Bottom line is, do I sit here and continue to fight and squeeze in anywhere I can and go bonkers when I'm alone or move on, get a job/life and come to terms that my time with that awesome little boy is cut to a 1/4.
    And how can I live with either? I can't seem to see past this. I'm caught in a seriously emotional spin.

I would say a good first step would be some counseling. It helped me and others have also told you how much it has helped them.

It is difficult and we can sympathize with you but it would appear that your stress is unhealthy.

For me going to the gym helped a lot. Not only is it great for you body but also your mind. There is a ton of research on the affects of exercise on mood.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
      1,000 post FB_

Wow, didn't even notice. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by FB_ View Post
        I would say a good first step would be some counseling. It helped me and others have also told you how much it has helped them.

It is difficult and we can sympathize with you but it would appear that your stress is unhealthy.

For me going to the gym helped a lot. Not only is it great for you body but also your mind. There is a ton of research on the affects of exercise on mood.
        Agree with all of this as well. The gym will put in such a good mood. A job will have you supporting yourself, giving you so much self confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by FB_ View Post

I agree... ultimately, what you are feeling are your feelings. It is clear that your little boy is thriving in the situation he is in, you are the one who is not dealing well. It is understandable, but you do have to understand that with separation comes change. You will no longer be able to be there 100% of the time, nor will his Father. The fact that his father gets to come home mid day or whenever and see him, means they both get to strengthen that bond, he doesn't get that opportunity when the child is with you.

This is a change for everyone involved and you need to stop focusing on him and the Nanny, this is nothing new to you, the Nanny was always around, the only thing new is your not around 100%. Your child is safe and that is all that matters. Don't think for a second he doesn't love or care about you, but do try to embrace the nanny as another person he has in his life who cares for him.

You will do much more for your children, by letting go and moving on and being happy than you are right now fighting tooth and nail and being depressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Karver View Post
            I feel so sad. I'm fighting a losing battle for the boys and I just don't know how to let go. I need to get a life, but I'm not done with my old one. I left my husband, not my kids, but i guess it comes hand in hand. I sit here one km away from my 3 year old while a nanny raises him. I don't have custody this week, so I just stew. The ex has his own business so my Right of first Refusal clause doesn't work as he goes until the time limit, comes home, then leaves again.
            I'm getting destroyed over this and realize that until I move on my ex still has what seems to be total control of my life, which are the kids right now. they are so young . I fight in court and be a pain in the ass, but ultimately I don't think it's helping me, I'm on my way out.
            I go get a job and let him and the nanny be that happy family? I just wanted to be a mom to my baby for the next couple years like I was to the other two, but I'm made out to be an ogre just causing grief and I'm starting to think that's true. My 3 year old has bonded to that nanny and when he's with me he calls me her name 60% of the time and the last day with me he said he wants to go home and be with her.
            Ugh. How do I let it go and live with it? I'm SO angry at my ex, there was No reason to take that child from me. He's working anyway, why can't I watch the baby until he gets home? It's what he assured me would happen, but because the nanny doesn't want to be just a maid, I gotta be the one to go.

But I start to rant. Bottom line is, do I sit here and continue to fight and squeeze in anywhere I can and go bonkers when I'm alone or move on, get a job/life and come to terms that my time with that awesome little boy is cut to a 1/4.
            And how can I live with either? I can't seem to see past this. I'm caught in a seriously emotional spin.
            I also just wanted to comment about the getting the names wrong. After a weekend with their mother both my kids 4&7 call me mom for the first day. It has nothing to do with them wanting her over me or anything like that. They correct themselves pretty quick.

The Nanny is a very important part of your childs life.

Comment

Just wanted to second what others have said about seeking counselling. A good counsellor will let you express your grief and feelings of loss, but will also help you move through those feelings so they don't dominate your emotional life, and you can be the kind of mother you want to be.

Also, the nanny isn't "raising your child", any more than the school system is raising mine. He knows who his mother is. Keep fighting for your time with him, and build that bond. Pre-divorce, I got flak for putting my daughter in day care after my mat leave was over - "How could you let strangers raise your baby??". Didn't happen. Kids know who their parents are, even if they bond to their other caregivers. The nanny isn't your competition, and it's good that your son has positive feeling for her. The more loving and caring adults a child has in his or her life, the better.

Everyone on this site who is a parent has struggled with some version of what you're struggling with - the fact that we have to release our kids and let them go into situations and homes where we have no influence and feeling powerless. It gets better with time. Just keep on being the best mother you can be in the time you have with your child. And that may mean seeking out help for your emotional distress.

Comment

Originally posted by Karver View Post
                I left my husband, not my kids, but i guess it comes hand in hand. I sit here one km away from my 3 year old while a nanny raises him. I don't have custody this week, so I just stew.
                Somewhere along the way many women (I say this since they initiate 75% of divorces) somehow learn to romanticize divorce. My ex did too. She had a journal where she wrote all about her "plan" and where she saw herself in five years as she was painstakingly planning on how to take me for every penny she could while I went to work each day to support her and my son. The last weekend we were together and one of us mentioned divorced, I told her that I've been a child of divorce, I've seen many divorces in my family, and in every case divorce never solves any problems, it only makes everything harder for both people... forever.

What did you think was going to happen? It sounds like you wanted to annihilate your ex from your life and walk away with a smile on your face surrounded by your laughing children and fly away into the clouds...

Welcome to reality. Being a single parent is hard. It's the hardest thing, honestly. Being a parent to a child that is slowly dying is the only thing I can think of that is harder. You chose this hard thing, so you're going to have to start dealing with the consequences of the decision.

Your ex never controlled your life. Unless you were chained to the radiator you had a say in your fate, the decision to have THREE children with him. Stop playing the victim.

However you feel, the children being involved with both of their parents to the maximum is nearly always the best thing for them. Realize that, and then get the help and support you need to focus on your own life.

Comment

That's a little harsh. We all have moments when the self-pity takes over, and it sounds like that's what Karver is having - a moment. I'm not seeing her wanting to take the kids away from the ex or get out of this without any consequences.

I know that for me, divorce and single parenting was harder than I imagined, but it also became clear that it was more necessary than I had ever imagined, and hanging onto the necessity of it has helped me with the moments like Karver is having right now.

(FWIW I grew up with a gravely ill sibling who was not expected to survive [although he ultimately beat the odds and is here today] and saw the devastating impact on my parents, so I know how true your comparison with single parenting is).

Comment

OP, I feel for you , I really do. I had my kids taken away from me for nearly 4 months with no contact. Things just starting to thaw.

Running and exercise saved my bacon. Only way i could sleep.

You are still their mother. You will always be their mother. In order to be the best parent you can you will have to take care of yourself.

I know its not easy, but what else can we do?

Comment

Somewhere along the way many women (I say this since they initiate 75% of divorces) somehow learn to romanticize divorce.
                      I disagree that women romanticize divorce. Most women I know that leave their marriage do it because it becomes unbearable. They are willing to take extreme risks to get out of it.

...and in every case divorce never solves any problems, it only makes everything harder for both people... forever.
                      I disagree with this too. I know many happily divorced people. And I'm one of them. Divorce solved a lot of problems for me and continues to bring blessings that I didn't anticipate. I'm actually a better parent on my own and its considerably easier to do pretty much everything without my ex in my presence. Divorce continues to be one of the best decisions I've ever made. And I know I'm not the only person on this forum who is in that position.

To the OP, I understand how the change in the way that you see your child must be very difficult. Having no access to him on the off weeks with your ex is probably a lot different than what you're used to. But very few women these days get the opportunity to spend all their time with their kids...most work. In doing so, its not unusual to leave your children with caregivers. I did it for years. Be grateful that he has a wonderful caregiver, there are so many bad ones out there. And take this as an opportunity for some self-improvement. Maybe improve your skills...take some classes....Work on your health and body...Or improve your financial outlook by going back to work. Your son is being well taken care of whether he's with your ex or the nanny and that really is the most important thing. Eventually, she won't be there anymore but you will always be your child's mother...always.

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                        I disagree that women romanticize divorce. Most women I know that leave their marriage do it because it becomes unbearable. They are willing to take extreme risks to get out of it.
                        That's been the case for the women I know who have left.

I disagree with this too. I know many happily divorced people. And I'm one of them.
                        Waves hands! Moi aussi... and frankly, I think my ex is just as happily divorced. In no world, were the two of us meant to be together for life.

And take this as an opportunity for some self-improvement. Maybe improve your skills...take some classes....Work on your health and body...Or improve your financial outlook by going back to work. Your son is being well taken care of whether he's with your ex or the nanny and that really is the most important thing. Eventually, she won't be there anymore but you will always be your child's mother...always.
                        Can't stress the above enough, OP. You will always be his mom. Seek some help, focus on yourself during the times you don't have access.
                        Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
                          That's been the case for the women I know who have left.
                          So you all honestly believe that more than 1 in 3 men are so intolerably cruel that divorce is the only option?

Since more than half of marriages end in divorce, is the only conclusion that 50% of people are sick, twisted and evil to the point that it's worth destroying families, children's futures and entire lives over it?

I can't believe that's true.

I think many people romanticize marriage and have unrealistic expectations about what it will be like, what their partners will be like, how much work it is and how much sacrifice is involved for both partners. Eventually they romanticize divorce as the solution to all their problems.

Studies point out that life was a lot better (ie higher levels of overall life satisfaction) before divorce was legal or acceptable, and mostly for women.
                          Last edited by FightingForFamily; 09-24-2013, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Hi everyone, I went the the gym yesterday, read my Buddha book and went to volunteer at my 3 year olds playschool, where he talked about the peanut milkshake the nanny made him and the mouse she caught. Disheartening, but what can I do. I guess it's good he has bonded with her, I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes the next Mrs. _____. I'm so angry he hasn't bonded to me the way the other boys did. The ex took my baby and gave him to another woman. I know that if me and the nanny were lined up my son would go to her. Is up to age 5 not bonding years? Ok, I'm stuck on this. I've got an appointment today at 2 to talk to someone.
                            I bawled my damn eyes out before bed last night looking at the picture of my boys on the wall. My s7 & s5 I have that good natural relationship with, but that 3 year old - I feel robbed. I never tried to take their dad out of their lives and now I gotta be at peace that he and the nanny marginalized me.

I'm happier without my ex for sure. In hindsight, I should have tried to stay for 2 more years until baby was in grade 1.

Anyone have any books they can recommend?

Comment

I've got the last mediation tomorrow. My old work from 10 years ago has a maternity leave position that I can take if I want it- they need my answer by Thursday, it's full time.
                              Nothing is a simple answer. I've been fighting to be with my son until grade 1. Now I've got a job opportunity that will make it so I won't see him at all. I was fighting for primary, now my ex will fight for primary because I get a job.

Do I stay jobless and just keep showing up at the school and the sports to see the kids or take the job and get on with my life? Technically, for now, I could live off the $ Im getting, but I live in a frantic state.
                              I guess I need to calm down and see what my 2pm appointment does for me and that mediation tomorrow.
                              For today, i asked ex if I could take s3 to his swim lessons at 10:30, but he and nanny have it covered, so I'm off to the elementary school to hopefully volunteer. During the weeknights I have the kids, the ex just shows up to take boys to their sports, but I can't take the baby to a half hour swim lesson on his day. Should I just tell ex to beat it on my days? I'm just trying to be amicable, but I think I've just turned into a pushover.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X