Just a little introduction ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a little introduction ...

First of all I would like to thank everyone for all the enlightening information posted on this forum ... it has been eye opening and also has been an enormous help for me. I've been going through the separation process since April of 2011 and we are hoping (fingers crossed) for final resolution this September. All our issues rotate around access and custody, which I'm sure is in most cases. Recently I have had the joy of dealing with CRA and the whole marital change issue and reassessment, mainly due to my ex filing as married in order to claim the children as dependants in 2011. So, like most of you, I've had the arduous task of proving myself to CRA. I should know the outcome in the next couple weeks. The information posted here has helped me tremendously with the CRA issue. I keep telling myself that there is a light at the end of the tunnel ... and becoming part of this forum makes me realize I'm not the only one going through this.
    So again ... thank you so much ... and a warm hello to you all

Originally posted by sookiestakehouse View Post
    First of all I would like to thank everyone for all the enlightening information posted on this forum ... it has been eye opening and also has been an enormous help for me. I've been going through the separation process since April of 2011 and we are hoping (fingers crossed) for final resolution this September. All our issues rotate around access and custody, which I'm sure is in most cases. Recently I have had the joy of dealing with CRA and the whole marital change issue and reassessment, mainly due to my ex filing as married in order to claim the children as dependants in 2011. So, like most of you, I've had the arduous task of proving myself to CRA. I should know the outcome in the next couple weeks. The information posted here has helped me tremendously with the CRA issue. I keep telling myself that there is a light at the end of the tunnel ... and becoming part of this forum makes me realize I'm not the only one going through this.
    Welcome! I haven't been through that, if I had come here before that came up I would have fought it harder. My accountant argued I should be able to claim one of my three kids the first year of separation, and since my ex had no income other than my voluntary spousal support, it would have not hurt her by one cent. But she outright refused.

Comment

Hello

Check this thread out, lots of great information. I'm going through the same thing now.

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...parated-13862/

Comment

That's the thread that I have been reading since I received notice from CRA! It all revolves around the definition under Tax Law of "separated" ... we had a "nesting arrangement" where the times he was to be with the kids he stayed in the house and I would absent myself and vice versa. So technically we never lived/slept in the house at the same time after April of 2011. The most we did was pass each other on the porch while coming and going.
        So ... I have my fingers crossed that this can be resolved as it's caused nothing by an enormous headache for me and a real financial mess. Every time I see a little brown envelope in the mail I get anxiety!

Comment

That's the thread that I have been reading since I received notice from CRA! It all revolves around the definition under Tax Law of "separated" ... we had a "nesting arrangement" where the times he was to be with the kids he stayed in the house and I would absent myself and vice versa. So technically we never lived/slept in the house at the same time after April of 2011. The most we did was pass each other on the porch while coming and going.
          So ... I have my fingers crossed that this can be resolved as it's caused nothing by an enormous headache for me and a real financial mess. Every time I see a little brown envelope in the mail I get anxiety!
          I'm in the middle of the process.

The case law clearly states that you can live in the same house and still "Live Separate and Apart"... You just need to prove it.

Good luck.

Comment

Well I am known to be tenacious and have a "never give up" attitude. So if I have to go the next step I will.

What really hurts in my case is the CCTC that I depend on as a monthly income to help support myself and my two children is being applied to what they claim I owe.

It's hard enough in this economic day and age and then to be hit with this was just the icing on the proverbial cake.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X