Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stittsville Tragedy - Two Children and a Parent No Longer With Us

Stittsville: 2 children, mother dead...

Police investigating 3 suspicious deaths in Stittsville home | CTV Ottawa News

Ottawa Police are investigating an apparent double murder-suicide in the west-Ottawa suburb of Stittsville.

Just after 5:30 pm, police were called to a home on Granite Ridge Drive in Stittsville to investigate three suspicious deaths.

The three are identified as a mother, her six-year-old daughter, and her 10-year-old son.

Yep, was on the radio just now on the way to work. Very upsetting Won't know for awhile if it was related to untreated mental illness or maybe an impending divorce. The only information they said is that the children were murdered with a sharp implement but they wouldn't say any more. The fire fighters who were the first responders were treated afterwards for traumatic shock... it was quite the horrific scene.

The father came home and discovered the bodies. I can't even imagine.

Comment

It is impossible to fathom, as most parents will do anything to protect their children from harm, and not inflict it with permanent, grave consequences. Coupled with the senselessness of it all, is the frightening fact that often these people "appear" to be quite normal. How and when does one have such a break with reality and conscience to be able to carry out such a monstrous act?

The initial reports describe the mom as a nice lady, head of the "neighborhood watch" etc. It is a devestating shock for those that know them and the community that is hard to imagine.

It is the most cruel and selfish act. Many will be plagued by the haunting guilt that they had not known, or noticed that something was very wrong.

Is there ANY way to tell? Or is it really possible that a person shows no outward signs that they are capable of taking very extreme and often deadly measures?

Comment

Most if not all of the other parents in the community will be wondering, as they themselves try to process the shock of it all, what to tell their own children.

The truth will emerge quickly enough and it really does make one wonder, what do you say, as a parent to your kids? Kids that knew these children, classmates, best friends. It will be very traumatizing for so many.

One neighbour (according to a media article) told her young daughter that there was a fire. Obviously she thought of something to say, other than the horrible truth to shelter her child, but that won't work for very long. Grief counselors will be instrumental in helping people to cope, but I for one, cannot imagine having that discussion with young children (as a parent).
        Last edited by hadenough; 01-15-2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Please stop with your gender biases. It's becoming a common thread in all of your posts. Yes, we are getting the picture.. You live with two crazy females and apparently (at least according to you) you are perfect.

Knock it off. And this thread is about a double murder suicide. I don't have the stats on hand for infanticide, however I do know that it is committed by men and women, and yes, oftentimes the ensuing reports are ones of shock and outsiders having believed that the man or woman was not capable of such a despicable act.

Comment

Seriously, how man more posts are you going to bring up the fact that your ex's daughter smokes pot... honestly, no one really cares and it is not going to get you anywhere.

Comment

Oink, I make myself very clear and I'm not sure what you mean by my alleged "subliminal biases."

Furthermore, this thread was posted with regards to a family tragedy that took place with epic and fatal consequences. If you are looking for a bromance on a forum that entertains the notion that all women are crazy and that it's all about men vs women, perhaps you will find responses on such a forum that subscribes to the same beliefs that you hold, but you will be hard pressed to get the kind of support you appear to be seeking here.
              Last edited by hadenough; 01-19-2013, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
                Gender biases....have you read some of your posts with the subliminal biases in them? I am not perfect, but lets just stick to the facts as opposed to sticking up for one gender.

I posted that I confiscated 3 bongs from a teen in my home, 2 from her backpack based on my huntch of smell in the house of weed, and all you had to say is that I can't prove it. There is 4yr old sleeping in the room next door

You might want to make yourself clearer next time then that both sexes are capable of whatever it is you are about to conclude on
                Oink, this evidence is not going to "win" you custody. It is going to win you conflict in the matter and a lot of grief.

Comment

The intent of the evidence is not to gain custody on our son.....it's to void the teenage stepdaughter from babysitting our son when mom can't be there.

What is she ODs or leaves stuff lying around and son picks it up? Would you take the chance with your kids?
                  If the matter is so urgent, then, you may want to contact the Children's Aid Society to intervene in the matter of the drug use of the child in question?

Comment

And what if... The Sky Falls?

The Rumination Rut | Psychology Today

Comment

I have been thinking about that, but didn't know how to go about it.
                      You are in possession of the materials, no doubt if you call the police, or CAS, and present the evidence they will state you are the drug user and not the child. So if you want to be in possession of narcotic materials, even if you took it away from a teen age child who resides in the same residence as you, it won't work in your favour possibly.

Like I said she hasn't denied using marijuana, I have gone to her school to talk to the principal, and my next move was going to be to the police.
                      I don't recommend you talk to the principal of a child for which you are not a custodial parent. If you have concerns about the drug use, you should raise the issue to the mediator without too much blame and ask how they would recommend the matter be handled.

You can see my concern for when the house gets sold and stbx go get our own place, and she continues to fail to address her daughter's habit.
                      No, I really don't see the concern to be honest. You are assuming a lot in your statement and are possibly reaching quite far. If the situation is serious, the mediator as a professional, is obligated under law to bring the drug use to the attention of the CAS to investigate or the police. If you make the call it will create conflict and you will find yourself before the court and fast.

I just want it stipulated in any agreement that the girl won't be left watching our son.
                      Again, you are working with a mediator in your matter. Ask the mediator calmly and politely for their advice. Simple facts and not some elaborate story and don't blame anyone for the incident. Don't even request the stipulation. Present the facts and request the advice of the mediator.

Good Luck!
                      Tayken

Comment

Why did you even bother? I guess you won't have concerns if someone that smoked marijuana looked after your 4yr old kid would ya?

Yeah..what if
                        The court doesn't order on "what if" conditions. What if you develop a drug addiction and become a dangerous parent as a result? You can throw as many "what if" statements into your materials as you want but, it often only demonstrates parental anxiety possibly.

The real tough questions to answer from a barrister (litigation lawyer) in cross examination of your "what if" and "evidence" regarding the 14 year old child in question. Consider the following...

1. Did you raise any concerns prior to the seperation regarding the child in question's use of narcotics?

2. If yes, what steps did you take to assist in the situation to better address your concerns at that time?

3. If no, why did you not raise this concern prior to the separation and are only raising them now?

4. Was the child ever left in the care of the 14 year old prior to you having learned about the narcotics use? If yes, was the child harmed in any way? If you were aware of the narcotics use prior to separation and left the child with the 14 year old, why did you having knowledge that the 14 year old was using narcotic substances?

etc... Cross examination is very intense and the whole goal of them is to identify the gaps in the evidence provided and to bring perspective to the situation. If you knew about this before finding the materials as you are alleging here on this forum and still left the child in the care of the 14 year old... The barrister cross examining you will bring to light the complexity of the situation and the fact that you didn't act on it possibly. This will be to negate the "concern" you bring to the evidence and to demonstrate you as an anxious parent who wants the court to order on "what if" "evidence".

Good Luck!
                        Tayken
                        Last edited by Tayken; 01-20-2013, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Until we have equal parenting.there will be more drama like this. When a couple seperated they hates each other . Their is always one parents that use the kids to destroyed their ex. Equal parenting would give peace to both fit parents knowing that they wont have their kids taken away.

Comment

Originally posted by frenchy View Post
                            Until we have equal parenting.there will be more drama like this. When a couple seperated they hates each other . Their is always one parents that use the kids to destroyed their ex. Equal parenting would give peace to both fit parents knowing that they wont have their kids taken away.
                            geesh its not equal parenting. Its mentally unbalanced people that cause this kind of "drama"

Comment

Originally posted by frenchy View Post
                              Mental illness. Deserves much more of our tax/government funds and research, to improve our services and support to those in need.

Nothing to do with equal parenting. Nothing to do with gun control. Nothing to do with religion.
                              Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X