This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dept

I was married to my husband almost 9 years and was stay at home mom. He has one daughter from his previous marriage. He has made depts in the amount of 70,000$. He was the one who always controlled money and I had no control over the money what so ever. He spent money on private school for his daughter and lost money on trying to make a business. We have our daughter who stays with me as he has taken job outside of country. Presently, I have a full-time job. We want to divorce and i was wondering if i prove that all money was spent only by him without consulting me or even if he did i had no word to say, am i still responsible for the depts?

thanks.

zet,

sorry to her about your circumstance.

Did you sign for the debt, ie: mutual loan mutual line of credit, mortgage etc.
    I don't think the courts would see the debt accumulated for the tuition for the daughter's education as reckless and irresponsible. As far as the business goes, if the business turned out to be successful, you would be claiming half today. I think they would look at the issue of the business venture as how came about and if it materialized in good faith and if you agreed at the time. Its a chance you take when entering into a business venture that the possibility is laways there that it will fail. The other thing to look at would be did you reap any type of tax advantage from the business.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X